1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

113th US Open from The Merrion Golf Club, Haverford Township, Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'General Betting Board' started by redcgull, Jun 11, 2013.

1. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Just thought id put this up and see what the lads of the forum thought... Steve Striker and Adam Scott were brought in by the officials after they had played, what some fans had noticed, was a wrong/foul shot, and should have been penalised...

Took from the PGA website...

For the third straight major championship, a viewer called in a possible rules violation.

Only this time, there were no penalties issued. Steve Stricker and Adam Scott were both cleared of any potential breach.

The first review in the opening round at Merion Golf Club came after Stricker had completed his round.

On the par-3 third hole (his 11th), Stricker's ball had come to rest under a tree and he would have been forced to stand in a bunker to hit it. Rules officials deemed the ball to be outside the bunker, however, and when Stricker searched for a spot to take the drop a viewer questioned whether Stricker was improving his lie.

Officials were convinced he wasn't, however, nor did Stricker drop it in the area where he'd paced back and forth. He went on to double bogey the hole and shot 71.

Hours later, USGA executive director Mike Davis and chairman of the USGA competition committee Tom O'Toole, spoke to Scott after a viewer thought had grounded his club in a hazard on the fifth hole.

Scott had just putted out for birdie on the 11th hole to move within a stroke of the lead when play was suspended for darkness and he was approached by Davis and O'Toole.

After reviewing the tape, however, it was determined there was no breach. The walking official with the group, Reed Mackenzie, also agreed.

Earlier this year, Tiger Woods was assessed a two-stroke penalty for taking an improper drop on the 15th hole in the second round of the Masters. In Woods' case, the call saved him from possible disaqualification because he wasn't notified of the possible violation until after he'd signed his scorecard, even though it was called in before he completed his round.

Woods went on to finish fourth.

At last year's PGA Championship at Kiawah Island, Carl Pettersson was given a two-stroke penalty on the first hole of the final round when his club brushed a leaf while standing in a hazard. Pettersson was notified during the round after a viewer had called in and he would eventually finish nine shots back of winner Rory McIlroy.

What i dont get is, is the fact that someone watches the golf, see's a error, in his mind though, then has the urge to ring in and complain that Such n Such got away without dropping a shot...!!! I saw the incident with Steve Stricker, and yes, Stricker was using the rules to his advantage. His ball didnt look like it was in the bunker but he was in deep trouble and he used what he could to try and make it a 'damage limitation' to his hole and round... Now he asked the official who was going round with that group and he wasnt sure so he asked for one of the senior officials and he said he could take the dropped shot and take it back in line with the hole, therefore only a 1 dropped shot penalty. So 2 Officials looked at it, and made a decision on the matter. So why did they pull him in after he completed his round because a caller had said he had erred...???

Im not sure that its right we bring a player to answer a shot each and every time 1 person calls in to review the shot when 2 officials said it was ok... If that is the case then, we shall be having tv cameras going round with each and every player, all 156 of them for this tournament...!!!

There are some very draconian rules in golf, i know i got DQ'd from a tournament for something very petty, but rules are rules so the players must abide with them. But i dont honestly think that the players know all the silly rules but know the rules that would get them out of trouble should they need to... The pro's definitely know those rules, and some of of us club players dont know the rules which would help us...

ps - The reason i got DQ'd was that i brushed some rabbit **** away that was right next to my ball from a bunker i was in. It was deemed as improving my lie in a hazzard, even though there was a rabbit hole in the damn bunker. One of the players i was playing with mentioned it after we had completed the round, i said i did, laughed about it and got done...!!! Lesson learned...!!!

I should have just hit my ball and splatted the rabbit **** everywhere...!!!<laugh><laugh>

2. redcgull

That link must only work if its your picks/selections... Never mind i will put them up...

3. YouCanCallMeJeff

YouCanCallMeJeff Active Member

Stenson on the charge, could be in with a good shout if he can finish off the "easier" holes in his 2nd round at par or better. A popular forum winner should he come in!

4. redcgull

Leaderboard after day 2 with still a few players to complete their rounds...

Leader - Billy Horschel and Phil Mickelson, both @ -1

T1 - Phil Mickelson................ -1
    T1 - Billy Horschel................ -1
    T13 - Henrik Stenson............ +2 *
    T17 - Ernie Els..................... +3
    T23 - Geoff Ogilvy................ +4
    T23 - Jason Dufner............... +4 *
    T33 - Rickie Fowler............... +5 *
    T53 - Lee Westwood............. +7
    T53 - Bubba Watson.............. +7

Possible Cut line... Its the top 60 and Tied that will progress to the final 2 days...
    T66 - Brandt Snedeker............ +8 F
    T66 - Dustin Johnson.............. +8 F
    T96 - Ryan Palmer.................. +10 *
    T105 - Sang-Moon Bae............ +11
    T124 - Jordan Spieth............... +13
    T144 - Russell Henley............... +17
    T146 - Thorbjorn Olesen........... +18
    WD - Louis Oosthuizen

The players * still have to complete their 2nd round...

What a US Open this is, and surely one of the better ones in recent times for me. For every 2 footer missed someone knocks in a 30 footer. For every poor approach shot, and there have been some poor ones, we get a great approach shot of the next player. And each and every time a player seems to be gathering some momentum, bang, a double comes there way in the next hole...

I do think that the USPGA need a slap on the back for the set up of the course but more importantly picking one that proves you do not need monster length on a course to have a great tournament... Well done to the good people of Merion to provide us, up to know, what has been a fantastic 2 days golf. Shame about the weather, but we can get over that...

Didnt see a lot of the play last night because of work but caught some of the highlights later on but it seemed to me that the course was testing even the most patient of golfer going round. Luke Donald and Adam Scott would like to replay some of there shots by what ive seen. But from what the commentators were saying last night, it will be a glorious days sunshine for Saturday which will make the greens even faster...!!!<yikes> I bet they water them, as some of the little 4-6 footers going down hill are like putting on glass...

As for the forums picks, well GGW and Smokin seem to have the best idea, both having one of their picks leading the tournament...!!! The forums favourite pick, Henrick Stenson has pulled himself right back into contention with a -2 par round and still 6 holes left to play to complete his 2nd round...

The Cut Line seems to be at +7, and we will lose a fair few of the people's top fancies... G-Mac was tipped up by nearly every media pundit, but alas he is languishing at +13 over and will get a the weekend off... I noticed that none of the NOT606 forumites picked him though...<whistle><laugh>

All in all it looks like whoever wins the US Open it is going to be a whole lot of fun watching it... Roll on Sunday so i can watch it all...<cheers>

5. Smokin Beau

Smokin Beau Member

Obviously very happy with Horshel.

I still think this track suits Ogilvy, and if he can keep it on the fairway (easier said that done) then i think he has a good chance still being only 5 back off the lead.

Spieth was terrible both days, and Bubba had a shocker yesterday.

Does anyone know why Louis withdrew?

6. Smokin Beau

Smokin Beau Member

Obviously very happy with Horshel.

I still think this track suits Ogilvy, and if he can keep it on the fairway (easier said that done) then i think he has a good chance still being only 5 back off the lead.

Spieth was terrible both days, and Bubba had a shocker yesterday.

Does anyone know why Louis withdrew?

7. redcgull

Leaderboard after the 3rd round...

Leader - Phil Mickelson @ -1

1 - Phil Mickelson................ -1
    T5 - Billy Horschel............... +1
    9 - Rickie Fowler................. +3
    T11 - Henrik Stenson........... +5
    T16 - Lee Westwood............ +6
    T16 - Ernie Els.................... +6
    T23 - Bubba Watson............ +7
    T25 - Brandt Snedeker.......... +8
    T25 - Jason Dufner............... +8
    T44 - Geoff Ogilvy................ +11
    T55 - Dustin Johnson............ +13

Well realistically i think you have to look only at those on +3, 4 shots back from the leader Mickelson, who can win this years US Open. It all comes down to the fact that no one is going to shoot a low 65, 64 or 63 to come out of the pack and steal it from the leading players... Donald should be 3-4 shots clear had he not messed up on the 18th, and a few other holes where he just didnt play good approach shots. It must be very frustrating for the golfers in this tournament, and not just for Luke Donald either...

Only three players have shot 67, -3 under par in the first 3 rounds, Mickelson, Horschel and Fowler so you cant really see any big changes at the top unless the players start dropping shots all over the place...

So for me its one of the following to win this years US Open...

1 - Phil Mickelson................ -1, current odds 9/4
    T2 - Hunter Mahan.............. E, 7/1
    T2 - Charl Schwartzel.......... E, 5/1
    T2 - Steve Stricker.............. E, 7/1
    T5 - Justin Rose.................. +1, 8/1
    T5 - Luke Donald................. +1, 10/1
    T5 - Billy Horschel............... +1, 16/1
    8 - Jason Day..................... +2, 16/1
    9 - Rickie Fowler.................. +3, 33/1

1/4 odds for a top 3 finish...<ok>

Its still anyone's title to win and we are in for one hell of a final day... Good luck to all who still have a chance to collect any winning returns...<cheers>

8. redcgull

Just lifted from the PGA Web site...

ARDMORE, Pa. -- Former British Open champion Louis Oosthuizen withdrew prior to the start of his second round on Friday afternoon.
    Oosthuizen, who opened with a 75, cited an unspecified injury, according to USGA officials.

Not totally sure Smokin... He did withdraw from the Byron Nelson Classic citing a neck injury/problem plus his wife has just had their 3rd child last week... Who knows...:emoticon-0112-wonde

9. GGW

GGW Well-Known Member

Don't think phil will win but els or dufner for the place come on please

10. GGW

GGW Well-Known Member

**** me Coral are saying I never placed the ****ing bets. I am ****ing fuming. Have withdrawn my account and will be using someone else for Royal Ascot. Given that I won't use Power or Lads and I can't use 365 or BlueSq where the **** does that leave me!?

11. GGW

GGW Well-Known Member

Cost me well over 100 quid. ****ing disgrace. I don't know what happened but it can't have been my ****ing fault! Fuming.

12. redcgull

Bloomin heck George, that's awful...!!! Have you spoken to them, or have they given their reason...??? Its poor form if they have took the bet and not paid you out, i mean, its not like you have broken them with a large pay out...<grr> :emoticon-0146-punch :steam:

13. redcgull

Congratulations to Justin Rose...<rose><cracker><applause>

A deserved winner of the 113th US Open Championships... Held his nerve the best of all the players in the hunt for the top place and didnt really play too many bad shots in his final round yesterday. Got to say that he spoke very well at the end in his acceptance speech, and it only goes to prove what a genuine good bloke he is... Unlucky for Big Phil, but his demons of playing off the tee and not finding the fairways cost him dear...<doh>

At least the forum got a few placed in the top 6, but just dont mention it to GGW...!!! So well played to those who got a under par score yesterday, there were only 6 who did, and well played again to Justin Rose on his 1st Major win...<applause><cheers>

Final leaderboard of the forum picks...

T2 - Phil Mickelson........... +3
    T4 - Jason Dufner............ +5
    T4 - Ernie Els................. +5
    T4 - Billy Horschel........... +5
    T10 - Rickie Fowler.......... +7
    T15 - Lee Westwood........ +9
    T17 - Brandt Snedeker...... +10
    T21 - Henrik Stenson........ +11
    T32 - Bubba Watson......... +13
    T32 - Geoff Ogilvy............ +13
    55 - Dustin Johnson.......... +17

We picked out 7 players that made the top 20, and although most bookies only paid to 6th, that's still a good shout by the lads on the forum...:emoticon-0148-yes:

14. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Well done anyone who placed, tricky tournament as ever. Well done to Rose too, played the best on Sunday and his shot making made him a deserved winner. Seems a bit harsh George, i'd be wanting a good explanantion an apology there. You do right to close that account down if that's the case.