1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

2 relegations - 2 very different stories

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by WestCountrylalala, May 4, 2011.

1. WestCountrylalala

WestCountrylalala Active Member
    Forum Moderator

2 back-to-back relegations tells it's own story about Argyle's performance on the field but those who say "statistics don't lie" are very wrong this season. A 10 point deduction meant we were always on the back foot but the shocking way our ex directors used Argyle to gamble on a world cup bid ensured relegation was difficult to avoid this season. It wasn't just the points deduction but the selling of any player showing an ounce of class and our squad diminished to the bare minimum meant we never really stood a chance.

Despite all the doom and gloom our players (and other staff at home park) showed strength of character and pride in their club we the fans never knew the posessed. Battling until the penaltimate game of the season ensured relegation was a cert they scrapped and fought through to the bitter end and without any pay at all this year - Rooney & co. take note!

Last season was different, relegation was deserved, performances had been worse than poor for 2 seasons running, the players didn't appear to care and for fans visiting Home Park was depressing in the extreme so you could say we saw league 1 coming.

Despite league 2 looming next season all at Home Park can hold their heads up high. The fans have done their bit keeping the club alive, forming a fans' trust, organising fund raising events, collecting money for unpaid staff and proping up the club. Even attendances for a league 1 side have been quite impressive. Most of all though the unpaid players and manager have been a credit to football and to Plymouth. Let's all say thank you to Reidy and the lads on saturday.

Peter Reid's Green Army - the pride of Plymouth!

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Since administration had been announced I quite agree with you Reid-all-about-it, with your comments on everyone doing their bit for the cause.The problem is until then we had played more than half a season,Quoting your comments about last season......"the players didn't appear to care and for fans visiting Home Park it was depressing in the extreme" ......end of quote.What ever we thought of the squad it should of been good enough to be higher than mid-table at Christmas,they played as if they had some God given right to do well in DIV ONE.They didn't appear to care even at this level of football,as you commented about last years performances.

They should of been able to shrug off a ten point deduction with no problem,but their poor results caught them out and they got what they deserved in the end.A case of too little too late,so when they had to sell players and not allowed to replace them they then woke up and found the task beyond them.They ended up looking like Saints but in truth they had been sinners for too long before,we must move on with new players with the proper attitude.They should have achieved between 65-70pts before a points deduction and they would have easily beaten the drop.

3. WestCountrylalala

Forum Moderator

Plymborn, I see what you are saying, the beginning of this season was just a follow on from last season with poor play and attitudes but I think the players have more than made up for that by playing without pay for so long and I feel that Peter Reid had a big part to play in that.

No point worrying about that now, new beginning on Friday I think. The only way is up!

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Don't agree,the players lack of early season commitment caused the problem.We had a full strength squad then and these WELL PAID professionals didn't bring home the bacon.OK they tried to redeem themselves when it got tough but they had lost to much ground.

5. WestCountrylalala

Forum Moderator

It all seems like a long time ago now but I remember BWP getting off to a slow start, I think many of the players appeared lazy (as in previous seasons) back then, even Noone didn't do much but they weren't match fit and I agree it took them too long to find form. All water under the bridge now.

Wonder what will happen with players. Who will come in? I guess all the out-of-contracts will go as none (?) are Reid's players and they just aren't good enough if we want promotion.

6. Chris.

Chris. #bringbackchris

Liverpool fan in peace. :emoticon-0100-smile

Gutted to see you go down. You battled to the bitter end despite a 10 point deduction. Your players and staff have gone without pay for a long time and kept going. That shows great character.

Good luck in League 2. You seem like a proper club with a good support. Clubs bounce back. Here's to Plymouth coming back up the leagues in the near future. <ale>

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

BWP's slow start was down to injury,and once we sold him for next to nothing the team was devoid of anything resembling a goal getter.Most teams would surely have two strikers of proven ability we didn't,Fallon isn't a proven goal scorer he can win the aerial battles but you need a proven goal getter to latch on to those opportunities.

Young Mason showed promise for awhile but had to be overplayed because of necessity and picked up an injury,he then became a little bit of a liability (not his fault).Just hope his confidence hasn't been damaged too much,getting rave notices so soon can put to much pressure on a young developing player and it can take awhile to recover.

8. KingslandSFC

KingslandSFC Active Member

Totally agree... You lot have had it hard this season ... Sorry we put the nail in the coffin for you boys on Monday!

All the best in League 2 <ok>

9. greenjock

greenjock Member

Well now that its all done and dusted on the field, just want to wake up one day soon knowing who owns my club and what the real situation is. Don't care who's fault it was anymore either. We've been a League 2, or it's old equivalent, club before and its only because of the recent success that it seems like such a big drop to the basement this time.

The financial side of things has been an absolute embarrassment. I don't know all the ins and outs of business but **** me we have been living way beyond our means for years now! This is what has to be addressed and not only within Argyle, but the whole of British football. How can there be such a divide between the Premier League and the other leagues? The money on offer in the PL is obscene in comparison with the other leagues. Then if you go and get yourself relegated, and this is always going to happen to 3 clubs, they bung extra cash at you for missing out on the feeding trough for a while!

I just dont get it at all. If you get relegated tough ****.

Now the farce that is our game is ONLY now investigating possible irregularities at QPR which should cost them a points deduction meaning they may now not be promoted and could have to play in ther play-offs instead. And its the final weekend of the season for CCC clubs. Will they crown them champions and then take it all away? Dont think so as this will lead to legal challenges all summer that couldnt possibly be resolved by the start of next season. So a fudged punishment will be handed to QPR to ensure nothing too much has to be changed with regard to promotions. What happens if Cardiff appeal the decision? And ironically I believe that we would lose out if QPR don't get promoted due to a clause in the Jamie Mackie transfer. Crazy situation but indicative of football right now.

Anyway if we can get the club back in the hands of someone with half a brain cell we could be ok again. Peter Reid has shown he cares about the club so given a bit of backing we might have the right man for the job already which is a bonus. Would like to see a younger man with a more modern outlook in charge soon but for now i'm sure Reidy will do a good job. Would have liked to have gotten Coughlin in as a coach a while back. Never really understood the Mariner thing and didn't think his experience in the States would count for much over here and it didnt. Coughlin would have instilled some passion into the team but he's now with Sturrock at Southend, who we will now be playing next season. Sturrock has a great record getting teams promoted and I wouldnt put it past him to get the Shrimpers up despite their financial problems.

The one good thing about next season is the probability of a few closer games if Rovers join us in being relegated, as Swindon will also be there, so could be a few good away trips! My problem could be that I've just become a Dad for the first time, 13 days old and counting, so might find my away games restricted for a couple of years. Can't wait to brainwash him about Argyle though, need to take him straight away and make it a way of life.

Anyway will miss the 606 boards, but I keep getting moderated for taking the piss out of Steelthunderballs or whatever name he comes up with. The prick loves giving it out but he cant take it back, and in a way I will probably sort of miss the tosser Devonsurfer, he wont be able to resist having a pop somewhere, so hopefully more of the Argyle 606 lot will start using this site.

COYG

10. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Jock did you see the Programme sunday evening with Lord sugar about football, he had a go about it all, what he come up with was very true, if you have not watched it look on the iplayer, its worth watching. How much will we receive from Qpr for Mackie? i suppose that will be swallowed up by the "administrator" some how!
    Any way its a new start next year and lets all put the [past few seasons away and look forward, i will be re newing a season ticket and hope fully taken a young green along.
    Lets hope steel balls and the surfer turn up here soon, also Mr Argyle sensiblegreeny.

11. greenjock

greenjock Member

Still havent seen it Joe so will catch it on i-player later. Yeah its a new start i guess and maybe the **** of the last few years is all over now and we can start going upwards again, cant go much lower lol.

Yeah if STB and DS do come on here it might take off a bit i suppose. STB will no doubt already be getting an account soon and stirring up ****. Dont mind really if he can take it back, which he cant. Would love to know waht his problem is with us anyway.

I reckon the extra we get from QPR for Mackie now they have been promoted will be quite a whack, even though Excretia get their share as well, its easy to say yeah we will pay you £500k upfront and another £500k if we get promoted because IF the buying club does get promoted they're guaranteed millions for reaching the Prem league.

Hopefully once the new owners have been unmasked or unveiled however you want to look at it, we can find out what their plans are, who the manager will be next season, and if there is any money for new players. Gonna be an interesting summer I reckon.