1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

2014 Six nations

Discussion in 'International Rugby Union' started by Deleted 1, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So hostilities commence on Saturday afternoon. France entertain England, Wales host Italy and Scotland travel to Dublin for the first round of matches.

As always it is difficult to call but apparently history points towards the French who have won the championship in the season directly following each of the last 3 Lions tours.

Feel free to use this thread for predictions, previews, memories of tournaments past or just a bit of nationalism in favour of, or bigotry against, any of the participants.

2. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

I'm nervous - Hoping Wales don't set a record and England not getting trounced by France at the weekend.

3. stopmeandslapme

stopmeandslapme Well-Known Member

France's to lose now.

4. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Wales as usual start slow but manage a win. on course for a treble..<ok>

5. SaintsForTheWin

Every game this weekend surprised me. I was thinking France would trounce us but we played some exceptional rugby and Lancaster threw away the opportunity of winning in Paris again.

Wales struggled against an Italy who looked in my opinion quite vulnerable in defence but I expect you to get better.

Ireland - Played well but Scotland offered little. Their defence was poor and their attack impotent.

It's going to be a close weekend. I can't predict the Ireland/Wales result. Maybe the referees decision or a lucky bounce. I find that Ireland get away with a lot of laying on the ball at the breakdown.

England should beat Scotland but we may find a way to lose. Take our chances and play like we did against France and we'll run out winners.

France / Italy - Depends who's hungrier.

6. Deleted 1

Forum Moderator

I'm getting tired of this view from the great and the good that we're planning for the world cup and the 6 nations is part of that route - I don't care about the world cup untill it happens. Wales and Ireland see their currency as winning Triple crowns and grand and it's about time we did the same. Last year was a good example - they claimed that the defeat in cardiff was a learning curve and springboard to better things and doubtless Paris will be the same - I see them as disaters and yet another year gone begging.

7. SaintsForTheWin

Changing Hartley on the 60th minute was a grave error along with his poor squad selection. Goode and Barritt are average players and offer little spark. He should have Ford and Watson on the bench. Watson can cover wing, fb and centre and Ford covers 10. Farrell can also cover at centre so if there is a problem with a centre, Ford comes on and you move farrell to one of the centre positions.

If he keeps our current 23 for the game against Scotland then it will be another close call. I want some impact off the bench. People (like Morgan and Mako) who can make a difference. Against a tiring Scottish team, I want to see us bringing on Watson or someone with his kind of pace.

EDIT: We may be out of the running for the Grand Slam. But I will be hoping for the Triple Crown now! If we bag that then we have every chance of winning the championship.

8. SaintsForTheWin

And he goes and chooses the same team <grr>

The man is bloody useless.

9. Deleted 1

Forum Moderator

Bit surprised by the margin of vctory for ireland - it will be an absolute pleasure if we can deprive them of the triple crown in a fortnight but let's beat Scotland first - come on England!

10. The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor Well-Known Member

Although 0-20 seems a good score for me England should have scored more in the second half. 13-0 ahead at half time should have resulted in a 30 point win and not 20. So it's Wales and Ireland at home where I see the Irish as the bigger threat of the two.

11. SaintsForTheWin

If we pick the same bench then we will struggle. We cannot have youngs coming on to throw for ireland.

Webber for youngs
    Ford for goode
    eastmond for barritt

12. QPRNUTS

QPRNUTS Well-Known Member

Although the Irish pack is improving and finally has some strength in depth, England's pack is simply too big. This will deny us vital ball to get our back line firing. England will keep it tight and beat us up in the scrum. This English back line is very average and IMO doesn't have enough firepower to do justice to the great work that the pack does. You desperately need to find some quality out wide.

13. The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor Well-Known Member

Agreed, also some of England's passing fell short and they were not ruthless enough. They missed three penalties and were on the Scots line a lot but failed to convert. Now I know England and when they do this it's not long before they do come good and they always start slowish and then build up. England to beat Ireland if they become more ruthless.

14. QPRNUTS

On the other hand, IF and it's a big if, Ireland manage to compete even adequately at the scrum, I believe they have to much out wide for England.

15. SaintsForTheWin

I don't know, by going to on your first 2 games Schmidt seems to trying to turn you into South Africa. I'm probably going to cut you deep here but BOD isn't the player he was. You beat the Welsh with your tactics and Sexton's flawless kicking game. When ever you span it out wide though, Wales had you in their back pocket. As usual, Kearney is ever dependable under the high ball and very good at countering - very similar to Brown in my opinion. Your wingers aren't anything special either.

Ireland will come to Twickenham playing a territory game by kicking for the corners and trying to win penatlies within kickable range. I maybe wrong, but I can't see you scoring many tries through your backs intervention. I'm not predicting a score or who is going to come out on top as England haven't played at Twickenham this 6N and Ireland have yet to play away.

16. QPRNUTS

All fair points but you have to realise that our three first choice wingers haven't played yet and at least two of them are Lions standard. Bowe, Fitzgerald and Zebo have been injured. Bowe and Zebo are now back and ready for selection for the coming matches. Add them to the first team and our attacking options are considerably enhanced. I totally agree about BOD, he's not half the player he was but he's still considerably the best 13 we have. It's the one area we are desperately short of options.
    Schmidt has shown that he's a very shrewd tactician. I think the game plan you've mentioned is spot on as getting involved in a dog fight with England will simply result in defeat.
    I think the English pack are incredible but there's nothing there in the back line to get worried about. We restricted the best backs in the competition to 3pts.
    It should be a very tight match. Sexton will have to be protected and have a blinder for us to win. I expect a physically improving Irish pack to push England hard but fear home advantage will see an English win

17. SaintsForTheWin

Oh, I was judging your current wingers. Bowe and zebo are quality!

I'm hoping to a bloody good game, if you are win I would like to see france beat wales to keep you fighting til the end.

18. Deleted 1

Forum Moderator

Well that's what test match rugby is all about. A fantatsic game of rugby and I was delighted we managed to close it out against a very, very good side. We get to do it all over again against Wales in 2 weeks time and the last game of the tournament will see at least 1 side going for the championship. Great stuff.

19. SaintsForTheWin

It was a great game, was on the edge of my seat. Relieved that we saw the game out.

I still think Ireland will win the 6 nations but I would love us to win our first triple crown for 11 years!

20. Deleted 1

Forum Moderator

<applause> Don't give a **** what happens now - Well done england.