1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

2017 " revolution "

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

If someone could set this as a sticky it would be cool - I'll edit and come back to it.

Thus far then, signings -

* Spence. In my opinion a decent RB that allows us to play 4.4.2 / 3.5.2
    * Garner. Clearly needed someone and at least a scrappy handful. I was at the ill feted 3-2 loss at Preston ( though I did make ££££ with a Tommy Miller goal as he always scored vs them ) when he netted a hattrick. Hopefully promising.
    * Celina. 30 games in the Eredivisie last season with very eye pleasing highlights on youtube. Think he could prove a right signing.
    * Huws. Proved a good loanee, apparently just under £1 mill with a market value of £1.5 mill. Good deal town. Not convinced he can play CM in a 4-4-2 with Skuse however so this poses me to wonder whether we will go 3-5-2 again... Celina / Ward / Skuse / Huws looks far too lightweight to me.
    * Adeyemi. Previously gone for over £1 mill, only 25 and scored 7 from midfield in the worst Rotherham side known to man. Very good value on a free - will be a welcome first teamer.
    * Iorfa - season loan from Wolves. Already played 92 starts at champ level. Only 22, 12 caps for England U21 and 6'4 too. I think will slot in at RB with Spence now back up. Quite where this could leave Knudsen I'm unsure about....

Potential line up - assuming it's 4-4-2 ( I think Celina signing will mean we'll adopt this system )

Bart
    Iorfa/ Chambers / Webster / Kenlock
    Adeyemi/ Huws/ Skuse / Ward
    Garner / McGoldrick

Subs - Gerken / Spence / Smith / Celina / Bishop / Rowe / Sears - that would be the 7.

Arrival of Adeyemi I would suggest would make us 4-4-2 and push Celina to impact sub for the start of the season. Toss up of Bishop / Dozza on the bench for me now. Or perhaps both and no Rowe. Either way, finally someone half decent isn't going to make the 18.

With Pitman going, I think we're a striker short now. Be interesting how other youth players push on this year. Bru to leave next please - no space for him now!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  2. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I think we've got a half decent squad tbh.

Spence has been half decent I just hope he doesn't prevent the development of Emmanuel. I'd take Smith out and put in Webster.

I'd also prefer Sears up top with Garner, sounds like he plays better with someone who plays on the last shoulder.

Other than that I'd like to see a replacement for Skuse, I've heard Tunnicliffe may be on the cards, whilst I wasn't overly enthused by him, it's that type of player who we need in there!!

To be honest I still struggle to care about personnel when actually if the tactics and mindset of Mick doesn't change it won't make 1 iota of difference!!!!

3. Westlake33

I completely ( embarrassingly ) forgot about Webster - definite starter!

I don't mind Tunny providing we play him CM this time and not LM.

4. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

We need more numbers. Joe Garner is effectively a poor man's Daryl Murphy, but then could benefit from our style of play. Spence is being made permanent; no complaints there, he was alright for us last season and will serve as a reliable replacement for Emmanuel. As for Celina, this guy is an intriguing prospect. He's effectively playing the Lawrence role from last season (and the Fraser role from the year before). We've got a few familiar faces working at Manchester City and they liked how Fraser and Lawrence benefited from their time with us. We should certainly use that partnership, even if it means a regular loaned player or getting first choice on some of their decent academy players that get released / want out.

We are short of numbers and we let go a fair few squad players go in the summer. Not to mention that both Bru and Pitman are up for sale, so they're probably going to be replaced too. I think the priority is midfielders. We currently have Skuse, Ward, Celina, Hyam, Dozzell, Bishop, Rowe, and Bru. Not looking great, considering most of those underperformed last season. I think two central midfielders are the priority, a creative player in the mould of Huws (really hope we can get that deal over the line) and then a defensive midfielder who is comfortable in possession. Easier said than done, I know.

After that, I'd like to see another striker in return for Pitman, but please not Lafferty, and maybe another young, promising centre back to replace Berra and Digby.

Not to mention the elephant in the room, Bart. If he goes, then we've lost one of our best players and he would need a replacement who is proven at this level. While Gerken is a capable second choice, he does not inspire confidence in me at all.

In short, we still need several further signings and I hope that we continue spending a bit of money in this window, because it's clear that we need some investment in a squad that has, unfortunately, stopped punching above its weight.

5. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Anyone know what the situation is with Taylor? Is he still here? Has anyone else signed him? I thought that with a decent pre season behind him he may overcome his injury problems of last season and be a more than useful defender for us.

6. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Huws has signed, which I think is a very good signing for the club.

However I hope this isn't to the detriment of our youngsters.

Also again it doesn't matter who we sign if the tactics remain the same. I see McCarthy said last season wasn't as entertaining as previous seasons and we must do better....no last season was no less entertaining than previous season (i.e boring as f***) we just didn't get as many points!!

Bigalreigned likes this.
  7. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

He's been released. <ok>

8. Westlake33

Pleased we've landed Huws - original post updated.

9. Westlake33

Adeyemi - CHUFFED with this. That's 5 by July 1. BOOM.

10. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

He's crap.

We've a few more we could send your way.

Can't believe we've got our money back on Huws cheers Mick.

Long hard season for u lot with these type of signings.

To be fair Huws may come good. Adeyemi is a lower league player

11. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Your so not bothered about them that you had to tell us your not bothered about them that makes me think you might be a little bothered about them.

fieldmarshall and Westlake33 like this.
  12. Westlake33

Awful WUM attempt, 1/10. Adeyemi scored 7 in a shocking Rotherham side, and Huws performed very well for us. For the record, we haven't given you all the ££££ for Huws either.

How do you feel you lot will do next season? I loved Ninnian Park away days living in Bristol, what an atmosphere. Feel sorry for you lot with that crappy boring soulless bowl you now have. Awful away " trip ".

13. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

Everything to look forward to. Best striker in the league , defence as good as anything just need a midfielder or 2. Play offs at a minimum. Brilliant stadium. We've been held back by FFP but at long last we've got some overpaid rubbish like le fondre and adeyemi off the books. I give Huws credit for taking a paycut to play as he was not getting anywhere near our 1st team squad.

Huws may come good. Doubt it but may. Adeyemi is rubbish.

14. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

:emoticon-0106-cryinDo you need a tissue?..

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  15. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

He must have run out of Sheep to Shag!

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM likes this.
  16. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

17. Westlake33

You lost me at " brilliant stadium " - it's gash. Absolute toss.

18. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

It dont matter who we bring in, we are still being managed by the arrogant dinosaur, so..........mid table at absolute best!

19. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Skuse shouldnt even make the bench, Didz is overated imo, Knudsen shouldnt even make the matchday squad and Josh doesnt need to go out on loan, i think he is better than Spence!

itfcptc likes this.
  20. Westlake33

Hopefully Wolves stump up some ££££ to sign Knudsen Spanish, I too wouldn't be massively sorry to see him leave.

I think Skuse is much maligned at times however Mick doesn't have any interest in not playing him and allowing someone else the chance to shine - Everyone on TWTD were waxing lyrical about Kevin Foley, a full back no less having the time of his life playing CM with no Skuse that day and doing things Cole seems unwilling to do in a blue shirt. Having seen him at Bristol City due to living there on numerous times I find him frustrating to watch for us as he's got more to offer going forwards than he often does.

Dids - fair shout on that even fit the past few months he didn't offer enough interms of goals. Must do better when fit this coming season - we all know it's a maximum 25 games out of mr made of glass. Again if some club decided they could keep him fit and offered a decent fee, I'd run to the bank on that one.

I agree Josh Emmanuel should be given the chance with us - very good when I've seen him. Hopefully Berra going means Chambers RB days are done, and he can battle with Spence over the role. Potentially Emmanuel could be a premier league player. Knudsen going would surely cement him in the 18 at least.

I get peoples beef with Mick and last season was a disaster. However, I'm of the opinion Celina certainly wouldn't have joined did we not have MIck, and with the budget we seem to operate in I want Mick to stay. Goals were a disaster last term, hopefully Garner fires ( I don't think he'll get more than 12 however may be a battering ram and allow Sears/ McGoldrick to net more ). Pretty sure we'll score more from midfield this term too. Definitely need another striker, I think that may be season loan #2 in 2 - 3 weeks.

Have to say, come July 3 with 5 in ( when Celina signs ) and more rubbish in Bru leaving, I'm more optimistic than three weeks ago.