1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread 2020 Turkish Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Nov 12, 2020.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Nov 14, 2020.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Valtteri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Max Verstappen

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Alexander Albon

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Carlos Sainz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Lando Norris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Charles Leclerc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Pierre Gasly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

No he didn’t :emoticon-0110-tongu

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  2. 2xwdcslayer

2xwdcslayer Active Member

Lewis's understanding of tyres in any scenario is just unbelievable. He really deserves his accolades. Statistically the greatest ever. Wow.

3. ErnieBecclestone

ErnieBecclestone Well-Known Member

There are only two drivers that I have witnessed over the last 65 or so years that exhibit the superb level of understanding and car control similar to Hamilton and they are Stewart and Senna, None of the current flock have so far shown the same basic thought process, Verstappen is a nutcase.

Just my opinion.

4. Rina

Rina Well-Known Member

Senna was twice the driver Hamilton is. So was Fangio, Hill, Prost, Schumacher and Alonso. Put Hamilton and Max in the same car and we who wins then

5. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Max is saying that one side of his front wing was 7 degrees out from where it was supposed to be. Details here https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-verstappen-turkish-gp-front-wing/
    If that was the case did it change between quali and race and if so doesn't that breach Parc ferme rules? If it was the same in quali then that was an amazing 2nd place!

6. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Based on what?

Drivers can only drive to the cars and regulations in their era. Hamilton has given plenty of performances that demonstrate why is the pre-eminent driver of his generation. Among the stand out drives are the consistant ones he puts in race after race year after year. This is why I was so disappointed with Jackie Stewart's comments about Hamilton recently. By his logic no modern deliver can ever match the old ones because they drive in a very different series now. Ironically, this is in no small part due to Stewart himself and his drive for increased safety.

I am trying to find the exact quote from an article where Vettel I think it was was talking about this and said that you can't compare drivers of different eras. He put it something along the lines of, maybe if we drove those old cars we would **** ourselves and maybe if those drivers drove ours they wouldn't be able to cope with the speeds. I'll try to find the article.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    ched999uk and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  7. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Here's that article.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/153591/vettel-special-hamilton-is-greatest-of-current-era

"I told him it's very special for us because we can witness history being made today," said Vettel.

"I think he is the greatest of our era for sure. I think it's always difficult to compare... how can you possibly compare [Juan Manuel] Fangio, or Stirling Moss to our generation? You can't.

"Maybe we would be useless, because we would all be s++++++g ourselves in those cars. Maybe they would be useless in our cars because they're way too fast. Who knows?

"But it doesn't matter. I think every era has its driver or its drivers and Lewis is certainly the greatest of our era."

8. Number 1 Jasper

The funny thing is , it was Sir Jackie that said yers ago that you can only be compared with drivers of your own era .

I have long maintained ask a modern driver to drive a car from the 50s or 60s and they would say sod off do you think I’m mad , similarly Fangio etc probably couldn’t even fit in a modern car .

DHCanary and eddie_squidd like this.
  9. ErnieBecclestone

Senna was very good and as good as Hamilton maybe a tad quicker but tended to out drive his cars as he sadly proved, I never witnessed Fangio up close so cannot comment, certainly Hill, Prost, Schumacher, Alonso were not quite in the same league, not to mention Verstappen who can't control his mouth let alone a F1 car

Mr.B, ched999uk and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  10. ErnieBecclestone

Exactly, why would anyone want to race a 50s or 60s race car. they killed drivers, at my very first F1 race a driver died.

Jo Siffert died because the trackside marshalls fire extinguishers did not work, they could not get close to the burning wreck to get him out.

Jackie Stewart was absolutely right in getting the F1 safety support improved although he suffered a massive amount of criticism whilst trying to achieve his aim.

DHCanary and Number 1 Jasper like this.

11. Number 1 Jasper

<laugh>

Thank you , that really made me chuckle . I do feel though that he has calmed down a lot .

ched999uk likes this.
  12. ErnieBecclestone

Yes you are right he has, I can still hear you chuckling :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  13. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think it was changed at a pitstop during the race, and something went wrong. It's quite normal to adjust front wing flaps as fuel loads and tyres change in a race.

Big Ern and ched999uk like this.
  14. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I did wonder that, but of course an F1 driver will use the excuse and forget to mention it was just 'last stint' sort of thing. Cheers. Even so that's quite a big failure at 7 degrees.

15. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Maybe he was going for Massa's record (5 I think, Silverstone 08?)

16. Big Ern

Before Rosberg beat him, no, afterwards, possibly.
    Surprised not to see Clark named in there tbh, Fangio Stewart and Senna all considered him the GOAT.

17. ErnieBecclestone

Probably yes, but I never actually witnessed Clarke in action he died before I got the chance to see him. I have tried to base my opinions on what I have actually seen rather than quote history or figures.

18. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Max could be great, but he's still carrying some of the same issue he's had for years, and that's some poor decision making. He arguably had the better car than Hamilton for the conditions on Sunday, yet managed to fluff his lines. Until he gets past this (and will he with the people he's surrounded by?), he just has potential to become great.

Subtract Hill and Prost from the other drivers listed, and Hamilton is in the conversation about who would be the best of them all (throw Clark in there too). He just is...

19. Big Ern

for the conditions at the start, yes, but afterwards, not sure. Lewis gave the way Mercedes go about preparing the car through the season so it will perform well with the tyres later in the season when they get to the hotter tracks (which explains why they've trounced Ferrari in the latter parts of the seasons before). When the track started to dry out and the tyres started heating up, the Merc came good for Hamilton, whereas Bottas couldn't generate the heat properly as he was in a backmarker train (and he kept spinning, and spinning and spinning...).

Not to take anything away from Lewis, as had to drive it right to get it there.

20. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Fun fact. Stroll has led more laps than Verstappen this year..