1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread 2021 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Mar 25, 2021.

?

Who will win the first race of 2021?

Poll closed Mar 27, 2021.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Valtteri Bottas

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Max Verstappen

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  4. Sergio Perez

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Lando Norris

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Lance Stroll

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sebastian Vettel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Fernando Alonso

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Bloody hooligans!

2. SgtBhaji

Well that was a weird NASCAR race

3. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

4. ErnieBecclestone

ErnieBecclestone Well-Known Member

Nah, Grand Prix there every day, Dogs, Bikes, Scooters, Kids, Prams, walkers, runners, swans, geese, horses, donkeys,

5. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Does anyone think George Russell could have held on as Lewis did. Managing the tyres and defending as he did? I am doubtful, I think that 'takes years of study and self denial.'

TopClass and ched999uk like this.
  6. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Lewis showed the benefit of his experience as well as his skill. Verstappen showed his lack of experience. So Russell will learn those skills with the benefit of experience at the top of the sport when the time comes.

That said, I reckon Leclerc could have done it. He is mister robust defence.

7. SgtBhaji

Hard to say. Hamilton has become pretty good at being able to hit target lap times and making tyres last for a particular strategy. He's gained a lot of tools as he's matured. Russell could likely become that driver though.

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  8. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Great question, I’d agree with above- it takes on track experience under white hot pressure to learn this.

Verstappen and Le Clerc are hands down the one lap fastest pair waiting in the wings for Hamilton, as he once was when taking on Alonso as a rookie. Hamilton knows how to choose his moments, manage his tyres for those moments, and that doesn’t come easily. Hamilton of 2007 and 2008 wouldn’t have done what he’s done these past couple of years. Rosberg doesn’t get the credit he deserves for metronomically pushing Hamilton to his best in their years of rivalry. Those years seriously moulded Hamilton from super fast to true multi world champion.

After Max and Charles, Russell does look very very promising, whilst Lando Norris will tell us a lot more this season up against the very good Ricciardo. My gut has that George would long term prevail against Lando if getting similar equipment.

9. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

That's an experience thing.

Now if you asked if he would do a better Job than Bottas then Yes.

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  10. Justjazz

Good observations. Also, Rosberg was good and would have been multi world champion had it not been for Lewis. Although he had the benefit of Lewis bad luck that year.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    ched999uk likes this.

11. SgtBhaji

Agree on that. He didn't necessarily get the respect he deserved. He really was quite quick and really pushed Hamilton at times. I don't think he helped his cause by immediately throwing in the towel after besting Hamilton, but from what he's said, he was just having to give too much to stay on/near that level. Far superior to Bottas though.

12. TopClass

Serious question- post-Mercedes who goes after Bottas and why?

Justjazz likes this.
  13. Justjazz

I was surprised at who went after Vettel, I thought he was washed up. Does Bottas even want to be in F1 post Mercedes because he won't get a top drive. He might get invited to Aston Martin if they let Vettel go. Where was Perez promised a seat next year? Is that an option. Without Lewis in the same car even Bottas might have made WDC, but clearly he won't now. It is his personal belief that lets him down. He is easily defeated by Lewis, partly I suspect because he knows his ranking in the team, which destroys his confidence. It is all a bit sad, he is a decent enough guy, which might be yet another weakness.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    ched999uk and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  14. SgtBhaji

I'm struggling. Best I could come up with was Aston Martin. Solid, steady finisher. maybe Alfa... Same reason.

I feel I'm being disrespectful, but sometimes I struggle to see what he offers.

You watch, he'll be a beast for the rest of the season and win the title now I've said that.

15. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

i think he will retire this year .

16. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

*Ramblings commence

The obvious answer is Williams. But I'm not sure he would want to go to the back of the pack.

I have a feeling if Hamilton retires then merc will want a top driver to replace him so I think they will naturally go after Verstappen who will feel nervous about the red bull engine situation.i think also the Bottas replacement with Russell is a done decision so Verstappen and Russell.

That leaves a big hole at Red Bull. They will want a top driver too but there aren't any left available so do they go with Gasly? Albon? Tsunoda? Keep Perez on? Who then joins Alpha Tauri? But the Red Bull family doesn't feel like a fit for Bottas.

Down the grid I think kimi will retire. And Schumacher will take his place. So that opens a space at Haas/Mazepin Racing? Again I don't think he will go to the back of the pack

My best bet is Alpine if Ocon is majorly out performed. That's the only mid field team I can see an opening for.

17. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It would be a shame if Bottas fell from the grid, he's not a bad driver by any means but he's also not quite top tier.

In a ideal world a pairing of Bottas and Perez at Aston would have made the team a lot more formidable.

To answer the question I believe Bottas will leave at the end of this season and move to another formula. WRC or FE perhaps.

18. TopClass

I was thinking along similar lines to you guys-

Aston Martin is a good option if we see Vettel leave within a couple of years or if Daddy Stroll goes with head over heart. With his Mercedes knowledge and understanding he’d fit well.

Alpine wouldn’t be a bad shout but I keep reading they want Gasly as their French connection. Again- if that’s the case you’re waiting on what Alonso chooses to go. I just hope Alpine become competitive and give Alonso something to fight at the front with, whoever is team mate.

He’d be a massive upgrade for Haas but will Gene even stay in the sport given how bad they’ve been? 2022 or bust for them.

Williams would be great - they deserve a good driver after George leaves and Bottas would be good for helping to them build back up- but would he fancy that at this stage of his career?

McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull all seem pretty well set don’t they.

The one thing we haven’t considered is what if Lewis leaves?! Surely they don’t go with two new drivers? They’d want one for consistency?

Justjazz likes this.
  19. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Williams, with his wealth of experience he could be able to push the team in a good direction.
    That said 2022 is the new cars, so maybe knowledge of 2021 cars won't be as valuable to other teams, plus I bet Merc are keeping 2022 car close to their chest as they are fairly certain Bottas wont be there. Maybe Aston as they are a clone of Merc so his Merc knowledge could be useful although maybe most of that info is already coming from Merc one way or another.
    I think he will semi retire and just do some racing that he enjoys.

Justjazz likes this.
  20. Justjazz

I don't see a pairing of Verstappen and Russell, that would be a job to hard to manage, Nico and Lewis was no doubt tough enough.
    Actually, if Lewis does resign/retire then I think Merc would keep Bottas for another year, for continuity. Lewis and Russell I can see working, maybe even Lewis and Verstappen. But two young bloods, carnage.

ched999uk likes this.