1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

2022-23 : that was the season that was

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The RDBD, May 28, 2023.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Yes, I do find it wonderful when I can blame a manager for their poor management which had seen us crash out of various cup competitions

Mainly because that is far more rational than whining "But trophies!!!" like an entitled toddler as if that overrules all evidence of poor results against Top 6 teams in the five months before the final, poor results in cup competitions in the two months before the final, getting thrashed by the team we were facing in the final mere weeks before the final, and the reality that reaching the final was mainly achieved by beating Championship sides and having a walkover against Leyton Orient which does not paint a picture of a potential cup winner

But if you can tell me of a single instance of Daniel Levy standing in the dugout throwing away a 2-0 first leg lead in any competition, I would love to hear it

2. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

3. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Would that be the manager that had actually got you to a cup final despite "crashing out" of other cups who (like your previous cup final achieving manager) got sacked for being impertinent enough to suggest that then was the time to invest and improve?
    Two managers who got you to cup finals, one never got the chance to try and win it and the other got ****ed over because a player stuck his hand up in the penalty area in the first minute. Both sacked for asking for backing from the board.

4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

19th Jan City spanked us 4-2.
    5th Feb we beat City 1-0.

That was this very season. Two games, two weeks apart. How did they go from smacking four in against us to failing to hit the net? Surely that can’t be right, because by your logic we should’ve been spanked again… Or maybe football is a very funny game where a past result has absolutely zero bearing on a future one.

So when it comes to a one-off final, anything can happen. It’s why Birmingham beat Arsenal. It’s why Wigan beat Man City. It’s why we even beat Chelsea back in 2008.

You simply cannot predict the outcome but you can certainly favour aspects and in a final I’d much rather have Jose Mourinho over Ryan Mason in his second game in management - and that’s no disrespect to Mason, I feel extremely sorry for him being thrown to the wolves (twice!) by this football club, which then comes back down to the ridiculous planning of those sitting in our board room over the last few years.

LockStock, Roo, The Huddlefro and 4 others like this.
  5. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

It wasn’t any old 4-2
    2-0 up after 51 minutes, 3-2 down after 63.
    Perhaps a microcosm of Spurs season?

6. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I fear you have just wasted a lot of pixels :(

I do it because it's fun watching the get out warbling but i understand that to you it's more serious, if i was in your position i would be fuming at the excuses some make up for Levy and the owners.

7. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

The thing is I enjoy often trying to make a laugh out of bad situations and I’ve done so with this season (along with some proper rants).

With Levy it’s been so infuriating these last 4 or so years. His 15 or so were largely positive, people will speak about lack of silverware but as a club we improved massively, played great football, saw amazing players and done so without a City or Chelsea type owner. But these last 4-5 years he’s more or less destroying everything he built and he’s ruining the club’s relationship with fans too.

Proper epitomises the whole “die a hero or live long enough to be the villain” phrase.

8. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

I think Levy has succumbed to the lack of trophies lobby and gone for appointing big name managers. With hindsight, not the right call, but I don't think it has led to disaster except in terms of the boring football we have been seeing.

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

It’s not just boring football, it’s low quality due to poor players.

As I keep saying, take Kane out and we’re not much better than West Ham.

Kane is masking the failures of the club with its poor recruitment. If he goes, I think you’ll then notice just how bad we’ll truly be.

Billy The Spur likes this.
  10. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

The reason he was sacked was cos the day before there was a massive backlash to the ESL announcement.

JM was sacked as a distraction.

If he was sacked cos he might have won the final and be entitled to more compensation they'd have sacked him back in January when we won the semi final

BobbyD, Billy The Spur and Dier Hard like this.

11. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

The point is that you have chosen such a bad
    analogy, and coupled it with the mindset of
    "low expectation" .

12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Hadn't really thought of that before, very good point and likely true.

13. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Good

We are not in it for him and his hotel projects

and this is a Football Club

a massive one

It’s a shame he’s clueless though

Tell him next time you see him.

Billy The Spur likes this.
  14. PowerSpurs

It wasn't my analogy and having a 14 year run above previous average is not low expectation. I happen to think the NHS was once one of the best performing in the world so that sort of run would return it to that status

15. PowerSpurs

Anyone who understands football knows that trophies are an outcome of having a good team. So the right way to get them is to build the best team possible which in today's world means having the most revenue possible. Hence all the projects. Our football operation is managed about the same as anyone else's with similar ups and downs around the expected outcome.
    And on what basis were we a massive club before ENIC took over? We were not in the top 20 in the world on any measure.

16. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

Back in the 60`s Spurs were as big as any British club around, in the late 80`s we were breaking the transfer record, after that Sugar saved the club financially but did nothing to improve it, in fact he took it backwards and firmly into a bottom half club, but still won as many trophies as ENIC have. It is also possible to build a winning team without the most money, through astute signings and clever scouting etc. What you don`t need is a litany of poor managerial appointments, poor director of football appointments, poor player acquisitions not in line with the manager`s requirements and a chairman who shoots himself in the foot on a regular basis.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

But that's the problem, we don't have a good team. We have an exceptional player with a backing cast of about 5 good players.

We've built up substantial revenue, Levy has been very successful in that aspect thanks to his first 15 or so years but loads of money without a footballing plan means nothing and gets you nothing because you end up spending £200m on players such as Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessegnon and Richarlison who just contribute towards regression. Boehly at Chelsea is another prime example of what having loads of money but no idea can achieve (or not achieve).

Our football operation hasn't been the same as anyone else's the last 4-5 years. It's been substantially worse than most with just a conveyor belt of shocking decisions, hence why we've spent loads but achieved nothing but where the board have lucked out is that said exceptional player and his main sidekick had been papering over their cracks for them. That simply won't last forever, the sidekick is now arguably on the decline as it is too.

18. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

CK made a flippant and hyperbolic analogy to the NHS.
    You attempted to turn it into something more aligned to
    ENICs' tenure at Spurs.

In doing so, your analogy is bad, and exposes the
    mindset of "low expectation" . My expectations since
    2010 is that Spurs will do the following :

1. Whenever any of the "usual suspects" in the PL top 4,
    who have more revenue than Spurs, mess up in a season,
    that Spurs will immediately strike to take their place in the top 4

2. maintain and improve the ability of the squad, year after year

3, by virtue of entertaining football, incrementally increase
    the club revenues (thus creating a "virtuous circle" which
    maintains/increases the likelihood of 1/2 occurring) .

Those are my expectations nowadays.
    For me, the bar is now raised higher than whatever PL
    table placing average is computed over the past 14 years.

Since the CL final. Spurs have objectively not done the above.
    Therefore by my measurement, the club has been failing.

19. PowerSpurs

Give me an example of an English team who have achieved sustainable success through signings and scouting then.
    It doesn't work. Every club knows everything about players in all the major leagues. It's also well out of date to think that the manager's requirements matter a lot in signings. Since very few managers last for more than two years you need someone to take a medium term view. Nothing wrong with signing promising youngsters and sending them out on loan.

20. PowerSpurs

Have a look at the top 50 signings in the PL on transfermarkt. The vast majority are objectively poor. I really don't think we are any worse than anyone else on signings...we've had a good period followed by a bad one. Liverpool did the opposite. The only club with 50% good signings in that list is Man City.