1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

2022 World Cup

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Blond Bombshell, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Denmark will wear messages in support of human rights on their training kit during the World Cup in Qatar next year.

The move comes amid continued criticism of FIFA's decision to award hosting rights to Qatar, which was accused by Amnesty this month of failing to implement its own laws aimed at improving conditions for migrant workers.

The Danish FA (DBU) says it will also limit the number of trips to Qatar by staff and players ahead of the tournament, which begins in November.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...upport-of-human-rights-at-tournament-in-qatar

Wonder what the FA come up with?

Edit: bbc have just picked up on this story

England kick off their World Cup campaign in Group B against Iran on 21st November, before matches against USA (25th November) and Wales (29th November).

Smug in Boots and Oliver's Army like this.
  2. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Changed their kits as well..

3. Blond Bombshell

It will be very interesting to see what the FA will come up with... they are into the rainbow colours, wonder if they quietly drop this during the World Cup?

4. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Kane's going to wear an 'anti-discrimination' armband.

5. JammySAFC

JammySAFC Well-Known Member

I’d love for us and other nations to pull out the week before the start in protest.

It will never happen though. Money makes everything disappear

6. TeamOfTalents

TeamOfTalents Well-Known Member

7. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

I saw this earlier today. Looks like the bloke took what was probably a very well paid job to go over there and promote the world Cup and never came back. I assume his family and friends doubt the official story.

8. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

Most of the countries that could make a difference are massively in hock to Qatar.

The only way to protest is for most of the planet not to watch it. That'll never happen though.

JammySAFC likes this.
  9. Brainy Dose

Brainy Dose Well-Known Member

The whole event is becoming a paradise for hypocrisy,imho.

Blond Bombshell likes this.
  10. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Well I will start it off <ok>

11. Blond Bombshell

Hardly a statement like... England are poor at the moment, so not much of a TV pull <laugh> <laugh>

Mind you, I bet you there's a fair few who will tune in to nosey the stadiums and crowds <laugh>

12. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I can guarantee I won’t be one of them, and lads on here should stop criticising the mags, if they are happy to drool over the same people in the World Cup.

13. Blond Bombshell

Will this be known in the future as The Mags World Cup, like 66 is referred to as the Hammers Cup <laugh> <laugh>

rooch 3 likes this.
  14. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Should I be embarassed to say I cant wait for this? A world cup with no moaning about fatigue, no excessive travelling, a traditional Brazil team against some top European sides and some African teams ready to surprise. I get the impression I will be the only one talking about this on here. I respect all of you boycotting absolutely. I have always been taught to get on the inside to make change, not point and criticise from the outside. I hope football does that in Qatar, there are 1 or 2 encouraging signs in the last few weeks. I am no optimist on this front, but lets not give up before we even start. Football is supposed to be the global game, I suspect it can have a better impact than politics and whining.

I have an invite to go out there, all expenses, but am wavering. I wont decide until the tournament is underway. Do I follow my love, which is world cups, or do I stay away from a country I have issues with? Maybe I will go and be part of that movement to leave a legacy.

15. Blond Bombshell

Have you taken up your option?

16. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

<applause>

Nobody on here will be watching it after their outrage at the Saudi's and Newcastle. Nobody on here will be a hypocrite. I'm sure of it.

farnboromackem likes this.
  17. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

You'd be crazy not to take that opportunity, mate.

farnboromackem likes this.
  18. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

I'm going to be completely honest here, I'll be watching it and I'm looking forward to it, though it's weird with the league still going on, I haven't got overly into it yet.

I think a South American winner is on the cards this year, it's Argentina or Brazil for me.

Here's a few of my random shouts.

Denmark will beat France to top their group, leaving France on a collision course with Argentina in the 2nd round.

Germany will finish 2nd in their group behind Spain and go out to Belgium in the 2nd round.

England will go out in the quarter finals when Denmark take revenge.

Portugal v Denmark in one semi final. Brazil v Argentina in the other. The South American winner to win the final. My money is on Argentina.

FellTop and Blond Bombshell like this.
  19. Blond Bombshell

20. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

The bravery of that man, perhaps he should receive a special mention on Remembrance Sunday.

He's always there to talk about human rights and principles but, when it comes to putting those words into action, all he can manage is a little armband.

No better than the brave people at NUFC LGBT who clammed up the minute the money arrived and quit the' Pride in Football' group they'd been banging on about for years.

All hypocrites.

Edit: Just read the article and there's more hypocrisy, this time from Sky.

The headline says,

"Harry Kane will wear a OneLove armband at the World Cup in Qatar, even if it is prohibited by FIFA."

This is what Kane actually said,

"We've decided we want to wear it and that's our thought process going forward.

"It'll be down to FIFA and the FA - I'm sure they'll be in contact with them.

"I haven't heard anything personally yet so at the moment we're on line to wear it so if anything changes we'll cross that bridge when it comes."

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    smithy in nl and Blond Bombshell like this.