1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

5 man attack for the 3rd test??

Discussion in 'International Cricket' started by yorkshirespireite, Aug 2, 2011.

1. yorkshirespireite

yorkshirespireite New Member

If Trott is unfit for next week (which he almost certainly will be) then how about playing a 5 man attack with Anderson,Broad,Bresnan, Swann & Tremlett. The Indian bowlers have nothing to offer and there's enough runs in the above guys (+Prior) to ignore the calls for Bopara to be called up for the millionth time. Thoughts?

2. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

The edgebaston pitch is doing a lot this summer, it depends how you take that. the four bowlers will get something out of it, 5 certainly would.
    do india have the bowlers to exploit it? probably, but on current form.....who knows.
    If you muck about and it fails, then you have to take the **** that comes with it.

3. psycho

psycho Member

Yeah i would go 5, it bats deep anyways. Doubt we will though.

4. stopmeandslapme

stopmeandslapme Well-Known Member

Strauss and Cook out of form.
    Morgan and Pietersen prone to trying to smash the ball to early and getting out cheap.
    That leaves Bell, Prior, Broad and Bresnan to build an innings (potentially).
    Bopara is the obvious choice.

If Trott was fit I would drop one of Morgan and Pietersen and go with 3 bowlers and Broad and Bresnan as all-rounders.

5. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Definetly not for me. 1. We have a successful formula at present. 2. Broad and Bresnan are not what I'd consider allrounders despite some promising batting. 3. The pitch is lively enough there and usually takes spin as the test progresses so an additional seam option is not really required.

We'll have to make a hard decision and I'd base it on whoever will be better suited to the pitch, Tremmers condition, and their records at the ground. I do think it might be sensible to pick Patel at 6 if Trott can't play. Either him or Taylor for me.

6. psycho

psycho Member

Radio rental.

7. cafc4ever

cafc4ever Member

If 3 quicks can't do it 4 wont either!

The only way I ever see this England team picking 5 bowlers is if they feel the need for 2 spinners!

8. Belvedere to Charlton and back again!

4 bowlers seems to be working just fine for us. Why change a winning formula? however if Trott is out of the third test though i'd like to see Taylor given a chance after his 72 against Sri Lanka A

9. yorkshirespireite

yorkshirespireite New Member

They may well do depending on the pitch, i'd plump for Patel given his batting ability compared to Monty

10. devonblue

devonblue Member

They should do it but they wont. Theyll give show pony Bopara yet another go. Crazy.