1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

A chat with the Chairman...

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Aug 29, 2021.

1. brb

brb CR250

itstimupnorth likes this.
  2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

You know I'm (always)right !

please log in to view this image

( and it might also refer to my post! )....... and I'm not even going to apologise for the rude word ( '' again'' !)

Mr. Scally appears to be incapable of taking any form of criticism. He certainly can't recognise that much frustration relates to 'admin' issues - rather than 'playing' problems.
    He has alienated fans with certain procedures that are not popular. Just for starters, he has made it impossible for any fan under 18, to independently purchase a match day ticket. There is a whole raft of other 'logistical' problems - which Mr. Scally excuses because of Covid..... he can't keep using it as an excuse - other clubs 'manage!'
    I don't intend to repeat the list of issues that GFC have - YOU know them.. Mr. Scally knows them - but will not listen, nor reply to telephone calls or emails ( or even to letters that have been PERSONALLY, and 'hand' delivered. ) ...... so much for his claim of responding to emails etc - I've yet to meet the flying pig whose had an answer !

In (real) life, I am not always right. I can accept constructive criticism - and willing to change or reverse decisions if necessary --- you learn from your mistakes --- but --
    In ScallyWorld, He is infallible - and everyone else is not just wrong - but not allowed to voice an opinion (if it is negative.)

..... NO fan of Gillingham Football Club wishes to be 'negative.' If we voice an opinion, we might not be wholly correct - but - I dare to suggest that we are not wholly wrong... When we voice an opinion - whether it be positive or negative - it's because we CARE !...... if we didn't care, us ( true ) fans ( not customers ), would be part of the growing number of ex fans - the ones who have become tired of the excrement with which MR. 27.5% continues to try to fool us.......... sadly for me - I remain one of the stupid ones - but that doesn't mean that I'm not (always)right.

3. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I want to be ' fair ' to Mr. Scally ...... ( he doesn't make it easy. ) ------- I know that I'm wasting my time by writing this -- will you waste yours by reading it (( even if what I write, sadly is the truth ! ))

It won't surprise anyone if I admit to being fairly vocal, in a negative way, regarding certain business procedures - BUT -

let's be fair - without the business acumen Mr. Scally displayed in 1995, Gillingham Football Club probably wouldn't exist ! His abilities persuaded creditors to ' write off ' most of the money that GFC owed them - then to spend just £ 1 of his own money to 'buy' the Club.... So, for all true fans of The Gills, we should be grateful for Mr. Scally's business expertise.

Over the next 27 years, Gills have had a chequered history - on and off the pitch. I have mentioned that in that time we have nurtured talent which has allowed us to eventually receive a considerable amount of money in transfer fees and 'add-ons.' It is my assertion that it has been this money - plus plenty from Gills fans, that has enabled the Club to trade as a business....... overseen by Mr. Scally - who has had certain justification to be handsomely 'rewarded' for his services....... but I doubt if too many other 'lower league' Chairman has led a tax exile lifestyle in one of the World's most expensive countries for many years ( at the expense of Gills fans ! )

Mr. Scally talks about the pressures and difficulties of running a football club - ( you said that you enjoyed the steak and 'many' gins ! ). Well - we've all got pressures and difficulties in our own professions - and some involve risking personal safety to protect and serve the population - with rewards a fraction of the remuneration that Mr. Scally 'awards' himself. Over the last 27 years, Mr. Scally has - regrettably - on too many occasions, displayed that, despite his 'business brilliance', his deficiencies in HR and PR, have attracted much negativity - to the low point of alleged racism. There have been too many public and business scandals in the High Court( fairly negative in my estimation )..... ( and I will refrain from broadcasting other internal differences - of which Mr. Scally is probably oblivious - just like so many other company bosses ! )

During the last 27 years, despite the 'business brilliance' of Mr. Scally, he has made some disastrous decisions regarding player recruitment - and retention. There have been too many times when we have recruited 'unwisely', given contracts that have proven to be a millstone around our necks - have undersold players - or allowed them to 'leave for free' - thus losing potential finances --- BUT --- if any of us were honest - I am sure that not too many of us would have done a better job than Mr. Scally.... but true fans will probably forgive these 'honest mistakes.' - they are not the cause of the 'hate.'

Over the last 27 years Mr. Scally has talked about a new ground and travelling the World to seek investment ( perhaps to justify his jet-set lifestyle. ) - You haven't fooled any fan. We know that there has been little interest in buying the Club ( apart from a realistic offer from MEMS that you declined a few years back - information from an 'insider.' ). The fans are realistic about our future in terms of on-field success ( or probable lack thereof. ) True fans don't hate you for Gills not winning the EPL.

Coronavirus has changed the World - including the world of football. During last season, the worst thing that could have happened for GFC - in terms of accessibility to new fans, was the introduction of ifollow at £10 a match..... because :
    The quality of stream was pretty poor ( when compared with SKY or BT --- and I had the 'luxury' of viewing on an 82'' television. ) Then there was the awful quality of play ( on the whole. ) There was so much 'hoofball' - some real rubbish to endure -- without the 'distractions' that one gets actually being at the ground - and all the 'ambience' that make the spectacle more tolerable.... BUT - I am sure that the spectacle has done little to inspire anyone to want to pay the 'full' price, and endure all the other logistical nightmares and expense for a match day experience.......People's habits and priorities have changed in the last 18 months..... On Saturday, I chose to go to a birthday celebration rather than travel to Shrewsbury......I have 'lost' several members of family and dear friends during the pandemic - it has made time with family and friends much more important....

Supporters of GFC have dwindled over several decades ( long before Mr. Scally. ) Football, in my honest opinion, is not the focal point of 'entertainment' that once existed in life - there is much more affordable (value for money) variety available. Mr. Scally ( the businessman ), needs to recognise that it is a buyer's market - the customer (fan) is 'king!' He needs to endear himself to the customer. He needs to engage with the customer. He needs to promote and make the product attractive and easy to access. He needs to make the customer to 'want' the product..... But despite his 'business brilliance', Mr. Scally just doesn't know how to endear, engage, attract etc - he is a PR disaster (sorry, Mr Brilliant Businessman ! )

At a time when Coronavirus has severely detracted from the business brilliance that Mr. Scally possesses, he has needed to be closer to the fans, more than ever before - but - by his arrogance he has alienated people - by refusing to listen, endear himself, engage with people, and to accept constructive criticism.. I have levelled some criticism of changes to procedures and protocol - although I have also conceded the merits of certain changes... Perhaps the timing of these changes, together with cultural changes by the population - driven by Coronavirus, has been the wrong time ( even if they are necessary for the future.) - Mr. Scally could have invoked all the changes that have frustrated fans in the last few weeks with much more (some) empathy and dialogue.. He would definitely have received our sympathy - because all that fans of GFC want to do is to watch the team - without having to jump through hoops, and, in this respect, being given proper information....

Despite the business brilliance of Mr. Scally, he needs to listen to any complaint without resorting to arrogance. If we have got it wrong - tell us how - in a 'professional' manner. The reply doesn't 'have' to be 'friendly' - but at least don't just ignore us. ( I am not alone in trying to elicit information in phone calls, emails and letters (hand delivered) ), which have attracted silence !

I can understand that Mr. Scally is upset by some of the vitriol that he receives. I do not condone the 'hate' he claims - and I recognise that I have been critical in greater quantity than praise I have given Mr. Scally - but I believe that my criticisms have 'substance' and refer to business 'style' qualities required by the Head of any corporation. ...

Mr. Scally does needs to ignore people who are gratuitously nasty. They are very few in number. He should have more 'class' than to rise to their bait... He needs to ignore these people - but NOT the 'honest' ( but equally disenchanted ) fans - whose complaints are the same...unfortunately, Mr. Scally appears to want a verbal 'fight' with idiots than to respond to the true fans of Gillingham Football Club.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  4. brb

brb CR250

I did read your replies by the way mate. <ok>

I did actually write something myself but didn't keep it. Not like me I know, but after just a little less than five decades of watching the Gills, I wonder if it's worth the effort anymore.

alwaysright likes this.
  5. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

Very well put. You've obviously spent time putting that together. Although, as you say, whether it gets read by anyone who matters (with respect to members of this board) we will probably never know. You have a greater right to comment as a supporter than me because of your annual contribution to Gills coffers, but I agree with your comments. It's a source of some amazement that the club can still attract sponsors and financiers knowing the cost to the club of financing the chairman. But on the other hand, maybe we've got it all wrong and they do actually think it's worth it. In the Chairman's Chat comment was made about social media comments that are being made without knowing the facts. I don't know the circumstances of this, but what immediately sprung to mind was, that if we did know the facts (not necessarily all of them, but at least more - and actual facts please, not pr spiel) we would be better placed to make relevant comments.

At least SE acknowledged that the fans are the true owners of the club, and that the current shareholders (my word, not his) are just the current custodians. Shame we didn't get to see PS's face when that comment was made!!

And finally, without knowing what was posted on Twitter that PS considered so abusive, a comment on that. And it's really that it should be treated in the a similar manner to the way referees have to act on the pitch. As far as I'm concerned, anything that concerns the running of the club, the team, the finances, and yes, the admin, is fair game. Some people a prone to express their views in a more, let's say frank, way than others. On the pitch, players question decisions, sometimes, frequently, using language that the broadcasters apologise for. But that's permissible. What is not allowed is to actually abuse the referee, and nor should PS or any member of Gills' management, staff or players be abused in that way. However in the present manner that social media is regulated, unfortunately that isn't going to happen, which is why my presence there is virtually non-existent.

alwaysright likes this.
  6. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

I had a long reply saved in drafts ready to go but it disappeared by the time I went to submit it frustratingly.

The gist of it was, if things don't change, then they just stay the same.

brb likes this.
  7. brb

brb CR250

The server was updated a couple of days ago, wonder if it was something to do with that.

The Gills PegLeg likes this.