1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic A Christmas wish from the colonies.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by invermeremike, Dec 18, 2020.

1. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I know that this past year has almost certainly been the worst experience of many people's lives but nevertheless I thought I would send you all my best wishes for the coming season and in particular the New Year of 2021. Watching the news from the U.K. on a daily basis at least allows me to follow your pain and confusion over what to do and when to do it but at least now you have the vaccine on hand to hopefully change the destination from the deserted streets and isolation in your homes to perhaps the sunnier side of a busier thoroughfare and upwards and onwards in to the open future.

At least during this sad time I always knew there were friends here on 606 and whether we agreed or not the bond was a very special one to me and so I wish each and everyone of you a very Happy Christmas and good fortune for 2021. Take care everybody and thanks for the company and long may it continue.<cracker>

2. remembergou

remembergou Active Member

Seasons greetings to you also, Vancouver Island I think, land of many snow topped Christmas trees and dangerous animals! :emoticon-0168-drink

3. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Merry Xmas Mike. I'm sure your weather is more seasonal than it is here in Bristol.
    Unless you like seemingly never ending rain of course !

4. invermeremike

Actually we had a wonderful snow episode yesterday which blanketed us in about 4 inches of snow and you may ask what's so wonderful about that. Today it's all gone away and the green has returned to brighten my day. Out here on the island we get about half of the wet stuff that dumps on Vancouver because we have a mountain behind us that makes the wet stuff go around it and then regroups over the straits and meets the coastal mountains and because it hasn't the strength to climb up and over it will stay in the Greater Vancouver area for days and days dumping huge amounts of rain.

Have a great Christmas one and all and I was starting to wonder if, due to the virus, anyone would reply to my thread.<cracker>

5. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas to you and your family and friends Mike.
    Canada is definitely on my bucket list to visit when all this Covid 5h1te is all over.

6. remembergou

remembergou Active Member

nice place bit cold

7. brookksyboy39

brookksyboy39 Well-Known Member

Happy Christmas from Andover Hants

8. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I could have sworn I read your grandad was at a famous rodeo in Canada about 1900 to 1910 and you had ambitions to visit there one day, there was a few other details but it has all been deleted.
    Is everything ok?

9. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

yea fine and I did say that but was in a rodeo around 1914 before coming to England to fight in the first world war where he got blinded.

10. invermeremike

I used to live in Andover on Cricketers Way (Laker Square) prior to my move to Canada in 1975. In worked for AMF Legg near the Newbury arch and played and managed their football teams for many years in and around Andover. The weather out here on the island is the same as Southern England but we lived in the very cold bits for 30 years before moving to the mild coastal weather where plants are still growing and the new crop is sprouting as we speak.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.

11. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

You’re living the dream mate - fair play.
    Hopefully I’ll soon be in Gibraltar - batting for another of our famous territories.

12. brookksyboy39

brookksyboy39 Well-Known Member

i live on cricketers way now,

13. invermeremike

Ann and I moved to Andover in 1967 under the London overspill programme and got a brand new house to go with my new job. Unlike most of the new Andoverites who were from London for me it was like going home because I originally came from Somerset and sort of spoke the local language. In those days the houses on Cricketers Way were flat roofed and it was called the arab quarter by locals and I liked the later change to normal roofing which looked better. Funnily enough I watched an episode of Escape to the country recently and it showed a property in Smannel next to The Oak pub where my farewell party was held 2 days prior to our departure for Canada. Many memories of that area brooksy and thanks for the reminder of some wonderful times.

brookksyboy39 likes this.