1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

A good season for you?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, Aug 23, 2017.

?

What's good then?

1. Winning the league, CHAMPIONE, OLE, OLE, OLE!

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. Top four and a trophy, REAL NOOICE!

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
  3. Top four no trophy, CL AGAIN, BOOM!

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. Outside top four and a trophy, SILVERWARE BABY!

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Outside top four but in a Europa place, EUROPE IS EUROPE, BRUH!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Anything but relegation just so we can sod this season off and leave Wembley behind us, #F*CKWEMBLEY

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Probably should've done this before the season started but what's everyone's opinions for the season this year? Playing at Wembley has been problematic for us but is it enough to just completely write off any hopes or should ambitions be as high as ever after a great season last year?

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  2. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Finishing in the PL top 3 again, into the CL KO stages.

Dier Hard likes this.
  3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I went with a trophy and outside top four. That for me would be a good season, any better is obviously great.

I'd happily see us go all out for some silverware if it meant suffering a bit in the league. Being in the CL is great but it's been far too long since we last celebrated a trophy.

4. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Agree, but Lord I'm hungry for a Cup again. Been way too long.

Lovearsenalcock and Dier Hard like this.
  5. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Top 4 and a trophy would be great.
    Trophy and no top 4 very good.
    Top 4 would be good

The problem is that if we finish without CL football this season we will face next summer as a transfer feeding frenzy imho.

6. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Top 4 no trophy having played at Wembley this season will be a huge achievement in my eyes. To achieve that will show that we've succeeded in a different challenge, but will set us up to go again the following season in our new home.

However, I don't think it'll be enough for some of our players. They need a trophy this season. If we don't win one, we could easily lose two or 3, IMO

This time next year, I won't give a **** about who we sign in the summer window. Our best business will be keeping our players here and giving them whatever we can to convince them to stay.

Dier Hard likes this.
  7. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

I agree with Roo. Top 4 plus a trophy is more what is 'needed' than what is 'good'. Urgently needed. It looks like we managed to stave off an exodus this summer but without CL football and some shiny medals to masturbate over during the summer, I can see it happening next summer. And we don't have the wage structure to be able to adequately replace the likes of Toby, Eriksen, Rose, Alli, Dier - all of whom i can see leaving if the right offer comes in.

A 'good' season is simply top 4. Despite Wembley, I don't see anything from Arsenal or Pool to suggest that they'll be better than us over 38 games, so Wembley really shouldn't be an excuse for allowing more than 2 of our rivals (probably the mancs) to overtake us.

8. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

The crucial word here is ''good''

Doing the same as last season is just that-the same. Have I become a little greedy? It's time these players achieved glory and for that reason I go for top 4 and a trophy.

Lovearsenalcock and Dier Hard like this.
  9. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

Top 4 and a bloody trophy is a must it's been so long since we won something. But a trophy more than anything please.next season a new home new achievements to make.I don't mind waiting another season to win the league it would make a perfect start in our new home COYS <cheers>

10. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Being competitive in both the Premier League and Champions League, smashing another bunch of Narratives as we go.

Sort of like last season, just with the Champions League not being a washout.

Dier Hard likes this.

11. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Shall we prepare a Narrative (TM) bingo card ??

I'll label each one as being one of the following types
    (in case Spurs finish the PL season) ...

N1. above any of the Mancs in the PL
    N2. above any of the usual suspects
    N3. above the Goons
    N4. reach at least the CL KO rounds

- The Wembley "hoodoo" (N1/N2/N3/N4)

- You have to spend lots of money to finish high up in the table (N1)

- Tis harder to finish high up the table when you are in the CL
    rather than in the EL (N3/N4)

Feel free to add other Narratives (TM) .

12. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Wembley is going to cost us so many points.

Top 4 again would be a real great achievement but realistically I think even finishing 6th this season would be a good effort.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  13. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

You missed the most obvious Narrative of all...

N5. Other clubs have more money. Wouldn't it be nice if Spurs' players signed for them instead?

14. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Win the league, just to shut the pundits up if nothing else. Having said that we'd probably get 'won't win I twice in a row, that was a one off, you had the advantage of playing at the national stadium etc.

15. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Thought this was worth bumping. <ok>

16. Sadist!!! <grr>

(Or equally, ‘Masochist’!) <laugh>

Roo likes this.
  17. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

<laugh>

Referring back to my thoughts last year, it currently looks like Toby will be the only player that will be leaving thus far. Not to say there may be 1 or two others we don’t want to get rid of that declare their desire to leave, but it seems ok at the moment. So that’s a plus.

As for the part about summer transfers, I massively give a ****. <laugh>
    Not because of an unwanted exodus, but because I think we’ve seen some unforeseen issues with fitness of certain players and time is up for some of our fringe players.

18. I agree - The summer situation appears to be the most significant change in perception and focus.
    I was a ‘Top 4, no trophy’ advocate before the season started and whilst that is still (hopefully) the final outcome, I am less convinced that alone, plus the new stadium, will be sufficient to retain a couple of key players. :emoticon-0106-cryin

19. So, an edgy win over the Barcodes means that my expectations of a ‘good season’ have at least been met and a win on Sunday will be a bonus.

The Wembley factor was largely overcome, but from Hugo’s comments last night it did have an impact and I think the team and the club deserve great credit in the achievements this year!

Putting to one side the last few weeks and a realisation that to sustain a challenge for nearly 60 games requires a deeper and stronger squad than we have, there’s a lot to look back on positively......

Harry is now a 4 season wonder, Eriksen has elevated himself into the upper echelons of European (possibly world) football and last night aside, Vertonghen has been imperious. We have achieved that without one of the best CB’s in the game for a large part and requiring a couple of players to burn themselves out in the cause.

Lots to be proud of going into the new stadium and provided the club realistically supports the manager, lots to look forward to. :emoticon-0148-yes:

Final note...... seeing the comparatively muted celebrations last night made me realize how far we have come since that evening in Manchester in 2010. My reactions that night when we scored and at the final whistle when CL was confirmed were off the scale - I’m sure the neighbours would have called the Plod had they not known my affiliations <laugh>

We find ourselves trailing Citeh now, but despite the hundreds of millions their owners have lavished repeatedly on players and managers, we are not so far off.

So for me - despite my occasionally voiced frustrations (sometimes heartfelt, more often RCL-inspired) - I reckon the ‘lads done good’! <applause>

COYS! <cheers>

20. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

I think credit should be given to our fans as well, travelling to a bloody difficult place to get to, paying through the nose for parking, Giving Wembley an atmosphere for the first time in its history save cup finals and most of all a nigh on impossible place to get out of. The customary 1 hour stuck in traffic trying to get out of the Lane will seem like a breeze, almost enjoyable compared to the 3 hours after the Southampton match where if my flight from Heeathrow hadn't been delayed, I would have missed the bloody thing.

COYS<cheers><applause><applause><applause><applause><applause>