1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

A little concerned again at Conte.

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

I thought he put out the wrong team and was miles too slow with subs, not for the first time in my eyes. I'd have started with Bakayako not Fabregas, and Zappa, not Cahill. Fabregas was done in 20 mins and Moses and Cahill were hopeless all game and Willian not far behind.
    That allowed Arsenal to control the midfield and a pretty ordinary Arsenal looked better than they are. We were all over the shop until Hazard and Bakayako added some spine and skill to a very flat performance. Luiz was dumb to put in a ropey tackle, though a straight red was wrong I think. Not that it mattered because a yellow which he deserved, would have the same effect.
    I don't expect us to play like worldbeaters every week, but when several players are well below par, Conte needs to be more proactive. I think he ensured we could not get the 3 points with his decisions. Interestingly, Morata got pretty lousy service all game. That can't continue and we need a solution and quick, to the lack of creativity coming from midfield. Willian can play a bit deeper, but we never try anything except like for like subs.

I notice 15 people have viewed this post but no one has commented.
    Come on, we need some input on this site, not just the same people posting unanswered over and over. Surely you have an opinion and can add to the quality of the site. If not, why log on???

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    StanDMan and BobbyD like this.
  2. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Totally agree with this.

The worse thing is by takin off pedro we lost out counter attacking threat (especially with no Hazard). Willian was bullied all game and kept dropping deep to use the ball.

This was exacerbated by Cahills lack of a left foot and good ball skills so none of our attacks came down the left.

I cannot believe he didn't play bakayoko, the guy has looked a beast every game.

The lack of ball play is frustrating against the big teams

StanDMan likes this.
  3. chelsea - over 100 years of history

I think Conte is not one to make changes quickly and prefers a more gradual approach to integrating new ideas and personnel.

Last season he persevered with the same set up and players pretty much from the previous year when we'd done badly. Not until those back to back losses to Liverpool and Arsenal did he decide to go with the 3 at the back.

This year he certainly seems slow to integrate Rudiger and Bakayoko especially. There may be fitness reasons for this but he's more happy to keep playing Cahill and Cesc if available. Even Morata is playing more regularly than Conte probably wanted at first - forced by the abject performances of Batshuayi.

I expect we will see a more settled side in a few games time but I'd like Bakayoko to be playing now and Cahill looks like he needs more games out.

4. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

yup, i'd say about 38 would be about right <laugh>

Blueman and StanDMan like this.
  5. Liquidator

Liquidator Active Member

Good points there Pensioner - In addition to the selection difficulties there seems to be a lack of mongrel when we come up against the Gooners; we needed to get into their face and once again Conte habitual tentative approach to this fixture nearly gifted Arsenal an unlikely win. It also seems that Cahills lofty position as "Club Captain"virtually guarantees him a start regardless of merit; one glimmer of hope was the introduction of Hazard ,that apart our limited options in midfield and defence will continue to be of concern this season.

StanDMan likes this.
  6. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Huh?
    Predictive text?

7. chelsea - over 100 years of history

I don't buy into the limited options thing (except maybe at number 9). We have 4 midfielders for 2 positions (and Luiz can deputise) but 1 is injured and 1 is being integrated slowly (Bakayoko). Defence we have the numbers but need to settle on the personnel. In the end the back 5 could well be Alonso, Rudiger, Luiz, Dave, Zappacosta but I suspect it'll take a number of weeks before we play them regularly together.

8. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Exactly what I am saying.
    Don't see Conte changing. Looks like his hand is forced to play Skipper for non footy reasons.

Cannot see Conte continuing and we finishing 4th if he persists with this futile.

9. Liquidator

Liquidator Active Member

No a quaint expression in my neck of the woods translated means "grow a pair and man up!" I'm just frustrated at our current inability to put an average Arsenal outfit (not for the first time in recent encounters) to the sword plus Conte's description of them as championship contenders gives them way too much respect.

Bodinki and StanDMan like this.
  10. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

We use that in Oz as well, for those of faint disposition, a "bit of mongrel" means someone with controlled aggression, power, and fight about his game. Players like Yaya Toure, Zinadan,Paul Scholes, Dennis Wise, Michael Essien, Ballack never got pushed around or backed away from a contest, they all had "a bit of mongrel " about their game !!!! Young Bakayako looks like he's got some mongrel in his game as well !! Not to be confused with players like Roy Keane or Chopper Harris, who were just leg breakers.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    StanDMan and Bodinki like this.

11. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Must admit I have never heard that expression.
    I like it though.

12. Bristol Blue

Bristol Blue Well-Known Member

What a difference starting a fit Eden Hazard makes. Two weeks on and we look capable of winning the European Cup again. Beating Atletico Madrid was surreal after the bore draw against the dysfunctional Arsenal.

StanDMan likes this.
  13. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Bate scored 2 against Arsenal.

14. The Ginger Marks

Bate are half decent Stan.

15. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

They also conceded 4 against Arsenal

16. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Lot concerned with Conte again after he started Cescy in 2 straight games in 3 days.
    That is surreal. Anyone with half a brain will not do that.

17. chelsea - over 100 years of history

You better start a 'Conte out' thread......

18. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Guess Tony is writing his own with Cescy. No need for me to start <doh>

Or Emenalo and co are doing their best to push Tony out.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  19. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Was Emanalo the man on the grassy knoll as well???

Put your tin foil hat away stan....<laugh>

20. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Never have and never will rate Conte. IMO all of the top 6 bar Arsenal have superior managers.

Just got to regroup and work hard in the CL.