1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

A Totally Non Serious Prediction of the Season to Come

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Aski, Jul 8, 2022.

1. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

WARNING - This thread is pure fantasy, so don't take it seriously or just skip if you have no interest ;)

A few weeks ago , I mentioned that I found an old dice football game in the my parents loft called Logacta Chart Soccer, which I bought after seeing an advert for it in SHOOT magazine, in the 1970's, which enabled you to re-enact a whole football season, taking into account form , through the rolling of a selection of dice.

Having found it, I wondered if I could adopt it to take into account the changes into the number of teams in the league, the increase from 2 points to a win to 3, just for a bit of fun. So I've been playing around with some computer coding to try and get it as automated as possible, with a view to just publishing an end of season table, predicted entirely at random.

However I saw Jammy mentioned about it being time to get predictions for where we would finish this coming season, and whilst I'm still having issues with the program generating a valid fixture list for all 38 games of every team, it does work, its just time consuming because the fixtures are being entered manually.

So for those who want to follow a pure fantasy journey of how we will do this season, then this is the thread for you :)

Week Games 1-4

A packed out Elland Road full of hopes and promise were rudely dashed when Wolves came away with a 2-0 win. A slightly better performance away to Southampton produced a 3-3.

Game 3 saw 1970's London rivals Chelsea, come to Elland Road with a 100% win record, however the Whites claimed their first victory of the season, scoring 4 to Chelsea's 2 in reply. The optimism of that win however was short lived, as in game week 4, Leeds travelled down to the south coast, to play Brighton, where the game ended up being an unremarkable 0-0.

Table after 4 games

Man City 9 points
    Liverpool 9 points
    Chelsea 9 Points
    Notts Forest 8 Points
    Fulham 7 Points
    Spurs 7 Points
    West Ham 6 Points
    Wolves 6 Points
    Brentford 6 Points
    C Palace 6 Points
    Newcastle 6 Points
    Brighton 5 Points
    Leeds 5 Points
    Arsenal 4 Points
    Southampton 4 Points
    Scum Utd 4 Points
    Everton 4 Points
    A Villa 3 Points
    Leicester 3 Points
    Bournemouth 3 Points

Those who got this far, hope you enjoyed the journey. Games 5 to 8 in next post ;)

2. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Games 5 - 8

Game 5 saw "Frank Lampard's" Everton visit Elland Road, and fat Frank was left with tears on his face, as his side fell to a 3-0 defeat.

Leeds form continued to defy description, as game 6 produced another 0-0 bore draw, away to Brentford.

Game 7 saw newly promoted and present league leaders Nottingham Forest visit Elland Road, in what turned out to be a thriller, with Leeds edging the win by 4 goals to 3.

Game 8 saw the lads from Yorkshire travel over to Mouldy Trafford, where they earned a creditable 1-1 draw away to the Scum

Nottingham Forest lead the table, despite the defeat away to Leeds, Man City and Liverpool have both suffered a dip in form and dropped to mid table, whilst Bournemouth and Leicester, are still struggling to pick up points

League Table (after 8 games)

Notts Forest 17 Points
    West Ham 15 Points
    Chelsea 14 Points
    Arsenal 13 Points
    Brighton 13 Points
    Leeds 13 Points
    Brentford 13 Points
    Wolves 13 Points
    Newcastle 13 Points
    Man City 12 Points
    Fulham 12 Points
    Spurs 12 Points
    Liverpool 10 Points
    Everton 10 Points
    Aston Villa 10 Points
    Scum Utd 9 Points
    C Palace 9 Points
    Southampton 8 Points
    Leicester 5 Points
    Bournemouth 3 Points

I'll post updates for Games 9-16 tomorrow, if this thread gathers any traction :)

3. esteponawhite

esteponawhite Well-Known Member

Never heard of the game before sounds great.
    Similar to Owzat the cricket game with 2 barrel shaped dice that came in a small blue tin?
    I still have mine.

Aski, Jammy 07 and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  4. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Owzat was ideal for taking to school for when the weather was crap and you couldn't play outdoors, had hours of fun playing that.

You can read all about Logacta here. https://www.sportsreplays.net/logacta.htm.

The scary thing about it was that it cost £8, that is the equivalent of over £60 today, and I remembering badgering my dad for ages to buy it for me, though then again I was only 10, so had no appreciation of the value of money :)

5. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Games 9-12

"Marsch Out" cries the voice of Wakey, "bring back the Mesiah", describes perfectly how this set of games have gone.

A second home defeat of the season for the Whites, as they lose 2-1 to 15th place Aston Villa.

The sound of the crowd bemoaning that " we never get anything from London" as they leave Elland Road, proves true just 7 days later when Crystal Palace score 3 with no reply from Leeds.

A third defeat on the trot as Arsenal win 2-1 in front of the Leeds crowd, as the whites plummet down the league table.

A poor start to October finally sees the whites gain a point with a 1-1 draw away to second from bottom of the table Leicester City.

A total of 1 point out of 12, sees the boys from Elland Road drop from 6th to 16th.

Nottingham Forest's fine start to the season continues, although they have slipped to 2nd in the table, with West Ham, now 2 points clear. Aston Villa have surged up into 3rd place, having won their last 4 games, just ahead of 4th placed Newcastle on goal difference.

At the bottom of the table, both Bournemouth and Leicester gained points but still lie below Scum United, albeit on goal difference, with Crystal Palace 3 points ahead in 17th place.

League Table (after 12 games)

West Ham 25 Points
    Notts Forest 23 Points
    Aston Villa 22 Points
    Newcastle 22 Points
    Chelsea 21 Points
    Arsenal 19 Points
    Spurs 18 Points
    Liverpool 17 Points
    Brighton 17 Points
    Everton 17 Points
    Man City 16 Points
    Fulham 16 Points
    Wolves 16 Points
    Brentford 15 points
    Southampton 15 Points
    Leeds 14 Points
    C Palace 13 Points
    Scum Utd 10 Points
    Leicester 10 Points
    Bournemouth 10 Points

Brizzlewhite, LeeUtd and NostradEmus like this.
  6. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Wow.....that was a memory jogger I had that as well as a kid and used to love rolling those barrel dice <laugh>......it was a great game to pass the time...... it's a long walk back to the pavillion :)

esteponawhite likes this.
  7. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Think brother Aski might have finally lost the plot guys....

Might need a meet up and a beer intervention to get him through this :emoticon-0131-angel :emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer:

wakeybreakyheart and Aski like this.
  8. LeeUtd

LeeUtd Well-Known Member

Inconsistent form. Need more goals

Aski likes this.
  9. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

You not enjoying the roller coaster ride of watching a dice enabled fantasy Leeds United team rise and fall and rise and fall the league table Jammy :)

The world cup break is coming up in 4 games times though, so if we can get through till then and stay out of the relegation zone, who knows what the second half of the season may bring ;)

I've heard that somewhere before ;)

LeeUtd, NostradEmus and Jammy 07 like this.
  10. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Well as Jammy is obviously impatient to see how things develop;

Game 13 -16

With just 4 games remaining until the league breaks for the 2022 World Cup, 12th place Fulham visit Elland Road, and LeeUtd get's his wish when the men in white come out winners in a 3-0 victory over the London side.

Memories of the Revie-Shankly era are recalled as Leeds travel across the Pennines for a trip to Anfield against a much improved Liverpool side, with the red fans being the happier at the final whistle, beating the Yorkshire side by 2 goals to 1.

Bottom of the table Bournemouth are our next visitors, and in what can probably described as a dull game, Leeds sneak a victory over their relegation rivals, winning 1-0.

Leeds return to the capital the following week, luckily unlike the writer of this article, the bus driver remembers that Spurs don't play at White Hart Lane any more, and Leeds earn a point with a 1-1 draw.

A haul of 7 points out of 12 in the last 4 games, has eased the worry of relegation, and fans can relax until Christmas when the league recommences.

At the top of the table, West Ham continue to set the pace, being 2 points clear of Newcastle in 2nd place, with Chelsea in 3rd, a further point behind. Pre season favourites Manchester City, are up into 6th. At the bottom of the table, Leicester replace Bournemouth in holding up the rest of the league, and Scum United remain in 18th place, just above Bournemouth, on the basis of more goals scored.

League Table (after Game 16)

West Ham 33 Points
    Newcastle 31 Points
    Chelsea 30 Points
    Notts Forest 27 Points
    A Villa 27 Points
    Man City 24 Points
    Arsenal 24 Points
    Spurs 24 Points
    Brighton 24 Points
    Brentford 22 Points
    Southampton 22 Points
    Leeds 21 Points - Goals For 31, Goals Against 32
    Liverpool 21 Points
    Everton 20 Points
    Wolves 18 Points
    C Palace 17 Points
    Fulham 16 Points
    Scum Utd 14 Points
    Bournemouth 14 Points
    Leicester 11 Points

Back tomorrow with results for game week 17-20 following World Cup break :)

11. stonkin

stonkin Well-Known Member

You had proper dice! Us paupers made do with a pencil with the paint shaved off. Runs and OUT written on one end and how out written on the other end.

esteponawhite and Aski like this.
  12. LeeUtd

LeeUtd Well-Known Member

Worried goal difference will come back to haunt us at the end of the season

Aski likes this.
  13. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Who is top of the Championship?

Aski likes this.
  14. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Millwall of course, they haven't conceded a goal since Charlie Cresswell signed on loan for them ;)

15. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Well with the 2022 World Cup over, and Costa Rica crowned as the shock winners, its time to return to Premier League action, and the FA's fixtures computer has not been kind to Leeds United, who over the next 4 games, will play 4 of the top 6 teams

Merry Christmas to one and all , as the fans descend on Elland Road, for the Boxing Day clash with 6th placed Manchester City. It's a tight affair, with a lot of the players not having played competitive football for a number of weeks, however in a close affair, City come away with the 3 points, winning 1-0 , the only goal being scored by (Readers can decide who scored ;) )

A New Years Eve trip to 2nd place Newcastle, and it's unlikely that the Leeds players or fans will be celebrating tonight, as Newcastle are victors, by a score line of 2 goals to 1, as Leeds begin to slide down the table.

Runaway leaders West Ham United are the next visitors to Elland Road, and the Leeds attack fail to make any impression on the West Ham goal, and end up losing the game 2-0, for 3 defeats in a row.

Leeds finish this section of 4 games, with an away trip to Villa Park, and "Steven Gerrards" Aston Villa, where Leeds earn their first point since the restart of the league with a 1-1 draw.

1 point from 12 has seen Leeds be drawn into the relegation battle once again, and no doubt the fans will be looking for the club to bolster the squad with some new signings during the transfer window.

West Ham have extended their lead at the top to 5 points, winning all 4 of their games, whilst Newcastle remain in 2nd place, 5 points ahead of Chelsea in 3rd.

3 wins and a draw have seen Fulham jump from 17th to 13 position, whilst Wolves have dropped into the 3rd relegation place, after losing to Scum United, who leapfrogged them in the league

League Table (after game 20, with included goal difference to ease LeeUtd's nerves ;) )

West Ham, 45 Points, GD +32
    Newcastle, 40 Points, GD +6
    Chelsea, 35 Points, GD +19
    Notts Forest, 35 Points, GD +13
    Aston Villa, 34 Points, GD +5
    Man City, 31 Points, GD +11
    Arsenal, 30 Points, GD +6
    Brighton, 30 Points, GD 0
    Everton, 29 Points, GD +5
    Spurs, 28 Points, GD +2
    Brentford, 28 Points, GD 0
    Liverpool, 27 Points, GD +1
    Fulham, 26 Points, GD -3
    Southampton, 26 Points, GD -10
    C Palace, 24 Points, GD -6
    Leeds United, 22 Points, GD -5
    Scum Utd, 20 Points, GD -13
    Wolves, 18 Points, GD -17
    Bournemouth, 14 Points, GD -25
    Leicester, 12 Points, GD -20

Forthcoming Leeds fixtures, Brentford (H), Notts Forest (A), Scum Utd (H), Everton (A)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  16. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Wow look at the goal difference this season a mere blip to the previous.......firpo comes good at last :emoticon-0138-think

Aski likes this.
  17. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Can’t remember the name of the game but I had a similar football game about the FA cup. 32 teams I think, you drew the rounds and rolled the dice for the score of each match until the final. Problem was I kept cheating so Leeds won every time.

18. LeeUtd

LeeUtd Well-Known Member

Can only see us getting a point in those next 4 games.

Aski and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  19. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

I had something free in a magazine, Shoot I think it was, where they gave a blank fixture list booklet, with a small number in the corner of each box, then you'd give all of the 22 teams a number, so you would make up your own fixtures. Then those teams would score the actual goals they scored that Saturday, obviously against made up opposition. Was interesting for a young kid

Aski likes this.
  20. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

The Logacta game allowed you to play a league of 16 teams, 2 domestic cup competitions for 32 teams, 3 European club competitions for 16 teams, as well as the Euro's and the World Cup.

The only other game I can think of would be this one, which I never owned, but remember seeing in the shops

please log in to view this image

Leedsoflondon likes this.