1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

A Veho question...

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Piebacca, May 24, 2015.

1. Piebacca

Piebacca Well-Known Member

Is there any data anywhere on how their turnover/sales have changed while sponsoring us?

My Googling hasn't really turned anything up.

2. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

How are ve supposed to know?!!

3. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I bought an Ayrton Senna emergency phone charger made by Veho recently, I wouldn't have bought it if they didn't sponsor Saints, so there you go.

4. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I am the proud owner of a Liebherr fridge!

5. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Similarly to Chilco I bought some earphones from veho largely because they sponsor Saints. They stopped working very quickly though so I'm not sure if I'd buy from them again.

6. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

I bought a Draper drill not long ago. Advertising works!

7. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I've been dying to find an opportunity to tell this story...

My brother and his wife buy everything Miele because Which tells him to. Inconveniently, Which doesn't point out that, besides their washing machines and a couple of other things, Miele hardly make anything with their name on it, but that other manufacturers make the models for them. Then Miele put their name on it and add an extra £200-500 just to show the customer that they're paying for a great product. So invariably, the identical product can be had much cheaper from the original manufacturer.

However, the point I'm getting round to is that my brother proudly bought an enormous matching Liebherr Fridge and Freezer set, a few years back, instead of a badged Miele costing an extra £400 each, and they have been... how can I put this..? Crap..! Meanwhile, another relative buys Bosch and AEG and never has a problem. Much cheaper too. Be careful of Which magazine. Their recommendations may be built on parameters that are not so important to you. Incidentally, the Miele was identically crap even though Which says it was wonderful. They didn't test the Liebherr at the time.

I'm sure your Liebherr fridge is fine, LTL. Fridges and freezers should be able to be installed and forgotten, they are generally that reliable. :)

And yes, I would consider a Veho product, on the basis that they sponsor Saints, whereas before I wouldn't have bothered to look out for the name. I considered buying a Veho 35mm/slide scanner from them, but the identical model, without their name on it, was available for £15 less. So I bought that. I've scanned everything and it worked excellently.

8. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

When I worked in a hospital lab, we had to buy a couple of new fridges to store reagents in. As official lab-quality fridges started at about £3,000 I had a look at domestic fridges of the right size and spec to fit the trays of reagent kits. By far and away the best quality and value for money, as well as being the perfect size, was offered by Liebherr fridges, and they were only about £600 each, so I got a big pat on the back for saving all that dosh. We never had any problems with them, either.

TheSecondStain likes this.
  9. TheSecondStain

No, I'm sure you didn't Chilco. And well done for realising that domestic fridges are generally so reliable that sometimes one doesn't need to go the full 9 yards into industry quality. Some of these items are that much more expensive because they are produced in a much smaller volume. Not necessarily because they are that much better, if at all.

My story was just as much to do about the non-discerning customer as the product. The Liebherr larder fridge had plastic baskets for vegetables [like 99% do]. These cracked and failed within a year. The plastic was simply too brittle and not sturdy enough for the purpose. The Frost Free fridge occasionally frosted up. Then the temperature sensor failed within two years of purchase. While this was going on, unseen, the fridge slowly leaked for about a year and rusted away in a small place. This from a £1500 larder fridge of great repute. And the door handle broke off.
    The freezer has been better. The door handle broke off early [the door handle design for both fridge and freezer was exceptionally poor, in my opinion] after about 18 months. The draws have split and cracked here and there. Apart from that it is OK. These were proudly bought in 2011. Not good is it.

The lesson they have learned from all this is that one treats Which findings as a guide, not as gospel. :)

Incidentally, I fixed the fridge and it now works perfectly again, but the partner won't have the thing in the house. It now sits in their garage looking for something to do..! They were luckily given an ancient enormous Bosch fridge which works perfectly.

10. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

My Liebherr is fine and dandy, just for info!

ChilcoSaint likes this.

11. TheSecondStain

I'm sure it is, LTL. Fridges and freezers really ought never to go wrong. The technology is so simple and well established that they should be amongst the most reliable items manufactured. I once helped remove a Hotpoint Diamond fridge that had been operating for 15 years but had to be turned off while a kitchen was being refitted. It never came back on, so the owner was reluctantly going to replace it. It was in excellent shape in all other respects, so just before it went out the door I plugged it back in, kicked the compressor and it came back to life. That was 5 years ago. It still works perfectly. :)

12. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

i have a Miele washing machine. Design life, 25 years and it was on offer with a ten year guarantee. Cheap washing machines don't last long when you have young children and the machine is on twice a day, everyday.
    Wrt to the OP, I don't think that the sponsorship leads to fans deliberately seeking out the products of a company like VEHO. What it probably does do, is lead to fans choosing the sponsoring brand when other aspects like quality and value for money are similar.

13. TheSecondStain

As it happens, I have a Miele washing machine too. I have to say that my last washing machine was a cheap and cheerful one, as it was in the house I rented out to tenants while I lived away. It was fault free for 15 years, which isn't bad at all. On that basis I'm expecting the Miele to see me out. :)

14. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I went to Florida in Holiday once...

... Flew with Virgin. Poor Air Florida.

15. Piebacca

Piebacca Well-Known Member

Ho ho ho.

16. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Veho ho ho

17. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

I think we've stumbled onto another level of random discussion here.

Washing machine quality survey comparisons.

Well done not606, I'm impressed

Number 1 Jasper likes this.