1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Aberdeen v FC Groningen

Discussion in 'Aberdeen' started by Boro_In_Aberdeen, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Boro_In_Aberdeen

Boro_In_Aberdeen New Member

Last night I - along with 16,000 other Aberdeen supporters - attended this match and I wasn't 100% certain of what to expect. I knew the dutch opposition were a big step up from Dauguva Riga but I have to say in my opinion they were there for the taking.

Groningen offered little going forward and we showed on a few occassions that they could not handle players like Hayes and Pawlett when they ran at the defence and attempted to get the ball in the box. However we did not do this on enough occassions instead opting the pass the ball across the middle of the park and I feel there was an opportunity missed to take the tie by the scruff of the neck.

Although I feel (unlike what Sky Sports will have you believe) that Aberdeen have the upper hand in the tie, we did not concede an away goal which is crucial and if we can learn that running at them and testing their goalkeeper who dropped the ball on a couple of occassions then I feel their is an excellent chance we can progress and have a crack at Real Sociedad.

2. Rubber Johnny

Rubber Johnny Well-Known Member

Was reading some of the comments on the Aberdeen forum, it's amazing how people see games differently. I thought even being a 0-0 draw it was still a very good game to watch.

Hayes -- Had a great game but never a left back.

Logan -- very assured player, always looking for the ball and likes to get forward. ( my man of the match.

Flood --- Runs about like a headless chicken, sometimes to good effect though. to many wayward passes.

Robson -- great player but tires and fades out the game for long periods.

Pawlet -- Had a reasonably good game but takes a lot of knocks due to his pace.

Jack --- For me he was the worst player of the night, always seems to pass backward or sideways and losses possession far to often.

McGinn -- Does a lot of hard graft out wide that knowone seems to appreciate, most of the fans around me get on his back because he's not scoring goals even though he is not playing his best position.

Rooney -- Decent game but not enough service to his feet, to many high balls punted up for him to chase.

Not a fan of Goodwillie but thought he showed some good touches when he came on for 15 minutes. think he will make a very good addition to the squad if he losses a few pounds & gets match fit.

I genuinely think we will go over there and get a score draw, but don't fancy our chances against Real Sociedad.

3. Boro_In_Aberdeen

I agree with pretty much all your points about the players listed, this is why I feel that this was a wasted opportunity, we were by far the better side for long periods of the game yet seemed reluctant to get in the box and the final delivery was very poor at times.

4. eric cartman

eric cartman Well-Known Member

2-1 away from home not bad.

5. Boro_In_Aberdeen

Great result imo and hopefully can now go on and have a good crack at Sociedad

6. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

Cracking result to beat ANY Dutch side away <ok>