1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Academies to be or not to be that is the ?

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by leeds60, Sep 8, 2017.

1. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

Dean Hoyle the owner of Huddersfield Town has stated he may disband with their academy as it is costing £2.5 m and so far only Phil Billing has come through .This started me thinking are they a good thing
    Chelsea for all the money they spend running their battery hen farm academy have so far only produced one player John Terry the rest have been farmed out to be eventually sold to the highest bidder, at present they have 45 players out on loan.This means it must be a viable business risk .
    Man City have 5 players that cost them £20m on loan at Girona and again how many have they had through the academy I can't think of one
    Manchester U were at the fore front of bringing kids through but to day they have only Rashford and possibly BJ who is here at ER
    The market leader is Southampton who have given us Shaw Bale Oxlade Chamberlain Theo Walcott etc
    Everton have this season brought in 2 academy players Davies and one other
    Here at Leeds we have brought in a few but Bates and Cellino sold them before they even reached maturity and so we never earned what we should have done for all this talent now under AR we are going back to basics but with a continental feel to it .We have a new sister club set up in Spain and are looking at the far east I am really impressed with this owner I can tell you
    So who is right I think the new Leeds way is the right one but with brexit looming will we be able to import these young players I hope so
    The club that has produced really good players I believe hasn't got an academy Barnsley who have recently sold Stones Mawson and the fullback to Villa so its horses for coursesbut if Hoyle does disband is academy can we have Jake Charles please
    Conclusion with the explosion of cheap foreign imports as caused the demise of Academies here at Leeds at least we have addressed the issue by bringing exciting fresh imported talent if it comes off AZ will become a very wealthy man and we will get a club who have a future again as a big player

2. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The problem with Citeh is the owner would prefer to spend 30m on a player to please the fans rather than nurture a player through.

The same goes for Chelsea.

If 'one of the big 5' don't capture a recognised name player the fans would be up in arms saying they have no ambition.

We've always bought players through:-

Speed

Batty

Denis Irwin

Smith

Garbutt

Kewell

Danny Rose

Delph

The list goes on and on

Now that our ambition has come back, so will the signings of new contracts.

3. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I thought Spewell came through the Academy. Was a left back at the same time Ian Harte was a left winger, oddly enough. Could be wrong ...

4. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Folks I think there are a couple of typos

Brought not bought

and god knows what spewell is , sounds bad though !!!

5. ellandback

Forum Moderator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Spewell

Yes, great left back

6. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

7. ellandback

Forum Moderator

You not clicked the wiki link?

8. Whitejock

Barstewards - you're going to get me to utter his name unnecessarily! :steam: Kewell. <yikes> Hate yous! ;)

Eric Le Merde, The-Don and ellandback like this.
  9. The-Don

The-Don Well-Known Member

Chelsea have loads of players out on loan and certainly make decent money when they sell them

I believe in academies and some of the signings we have made recently that are playing in ours will come good

Kun Temenuzhkov is one to look out for <ok>

10. Old Git

Old Git Well-Known Member

2.5mm is small change to Hoyle now with his premiership riches.

ellandback likes this.

11. Whitejock

There's a cracking article I read by a chap from the LUST committee. (He's got his own website with a number of articles & is a good, well-balanced, educated & informed read, covering a load of technicalities as well as the broader issues). Buggered if I can remember where I stumbled upon it though. Might even have been here, but Twitter most likely.

It's an essay on the Radz set-up, how we're setting up an academy like the big boys, using their methods. For example, if we'd tried to attract a player from the UK, we'd have had to pay the club development money. Sign a foreigner though, & you've immediately got a free asset (minus wages & expenses, of course). Indeed, even if you buy a student (?) from abroad, you immediately save the 20% VAT, plus there's the vastly cheaper prices. Win, win! He also tied it in to FFP rules and the financial benefits an Academy brings. I can't remember the detail, but I think we get FPP benefit for all Academy costs, and FPP relief for any Academy sales. We come out smiling on both sides of our faces.

TBF, it's a football cattle market the way it's being run in its present form. It's all about money now - plus the hope that we might discover a gem or two. As long as we manage to sell our 'products' and make a bob or two.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  12. ellandback

Forum Moderator

2.5 millimetres, are we talking about Shaks again? <laugh>

13. ellandback

Forum Moderator

MikeT/AdrianTeakdesk
    @Mike_J_Thornton

14. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

It all makes sense to run the modern academy this way but I can see the knock on effect being disasterous for the home nations trying to cobble together a national side capable of winning anything. I suppose, given as there is no money in internationals, nobody cares

15. Whitejock

16. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

Let's be honest, we've managed to win once between us in over a hundred years, it's hardly a risk <whistle>

FORZA LEEDS and Eireleeds1 like this.
  17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Thats the guy WJ much is about being able to fiddle the football fair play rules as loads of cash can be put against the academy, especially with overseas links into sister academies etc. Tax efficient as well as making money going forward. Shame that it actually works against the National team though, just like everything in the English game.

Marcos Barber likes this.
  18. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

Once you embrace the idea of being a Macedonian fan none of it matters! Enjoy the ride :emoticon-0148-yes:

19. ellandback

Forum Moderator

20. ellandback

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image