1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Accy away

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Butterfield, Apr 30, 2021.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

The pressure's on Steve Gallen now. Promotion next year is not guaranteed, but at least I want to see a team that can pass the ball. Accies' passing was better than ours today, and they are a route 1 team. When Peter Taylor ( Cloughie's mate) was asked what he looked for in a player, he said the ability to pass the ball under pressure. If we're going to build a team to go straight up next season we need the same sort of scouting skills that bought us players like Robinson and Kinsella for peanuts. They were talking about getting back to our passing game, but tbh we're not very good at that unless the opposition gives us time and space. Every summer has been a massive rebuild, with the maximum number of loanees being used, so we must hope that at least the rebuilding is done early this time, and that we don't face this situation again.

2. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

I agree with Lardi and FHB.

I’m looking for some early business to be done.

As well as Ipswich, and two of Sunderland, Pompey, Sheff Wed and Derby, we are up against all the slightly less famous (but still competitive) League One teams.

Gallen will have a very busy summer (again).

It’s going to be a bun fight.

Ken Shabby, The Penguin and lardiman like this.
  3. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

Remember chaps, be understanding to TC when he appears again.
    He'll probably b a bit the worse for wear :emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0119-puke:
    <laugh>

The Elfsborg Sparrow likes this.
  4. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

I reckon he was bumming @Ringo Lion last night.

Smudger603 and lardiman like this.
  5. Miketyson2007isback

Miketyson2007isback Active Member

I predict we will spend very little and get a whole host of loans in ...and fans will say don’t moan thank TS for saving us

6. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

Hopefully not, the summers transfer dealings will be a good indicator for the long term future.

lardiman likes this.
  7. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

The Pandemic has put CAFC under financial pressure of course, as it has for all Clubs.
    But TS must have factored that in to his take-over equations, as he only bought the Club just over 6 months ago.
    Also I hear that Sandgaard's company is doing very well.

Our new owner did save the Club.
    He did also make very positive noises about putting things right and building a better future.
    A skin-flint spending plan and a bunch of unreliable loan signings will not fit at all with those enthusiastic early words.
    No money and loans is the Roland/ESI way.

I really hope your prediction does not come to pass @Miketyson2007isback

Ken Shabby and The Penguin like this.
  8. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

I'm not against loans per se. It seems to be how football works these days down in the lower leagues. On the upside, Cullen was a real asset to us, and we had a few like that in our last promotion, and Gallagher was another gem. On the downside, Gallagher wasn't ours and got rerouted at a time when he was one of the few left standing in our injury crisis. The problem is you need really great players to build a squad, get promoted and then have them function in the next level. I was utterly sick of seeing our decent youngsters walking out the door for money that wasn't invested, but whether they would stick around for the likes of Accrington or Plymouth away on a cold tuesday night when Brentford of Watford come knocking is a real question.

I'm seeing a bit of fan unrest regarding TS, which I find fairly hard to digest. He hasn't put a foot wrong yet, and he picked us up when we were in a very bad way. He isn't a Russian Oligarch or a Saudi Sheik, so the idea that he is going to pile millions into a promotion push when we are losing money anyway due to covid is a bit optimistic. Personally I'd like to see us rebuild the intelligent, secure club we had back in the nineties, when we planned and made use of an excellent youth structure, and tried to avoid the massive debts we piled up during most of the rest of our history.

Personally I predict we'll be able to buy better than we did last summer/autumn, but a couple of quality loans will be an asset.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Smudger603, The Penguin and lardiman like this.
  9. CarrianCarcuss

CarrianCarcuss Active Member

In reality what do fans expect the club to spend on players as a league 1 club. My initial thought was 3 million on players, but after thinking about that I doubt many league one clubs spend 3 million on players in a season.

10. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

TS has made a rod for his own back by talking about play-offs this year of automatics next year being the minimum. If we wantto integrate upcoming talent instead of endless loanees it will take time to build from the bare bones of a squad that we have atm. When we start next season we'll be playing against teams who already have a settled squad. There's no guarantee thatNA can do an SCP unless we get a Yann or two.

Butterfield likes this.

11. Ringo Lion

Ringo Lion Pumpkin

That's just a vicious rumour and any evidence has been deletedo_O