1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Advice for a Furrrner Who May Go to the Emirates 8/31 and/or WHL 8/24 (Swansea)?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by redwhiteandermblue, Jun 21, 2013.

1. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

Mr. and Mrs. Redwhiteandermblue look likely to make their long-awaited Spurs pilgramage and are considering...going to the Great Satan's Den 8/31, if we can get tickets. Additionally or alternately, we're also considering Swansea at WHL 8/24. I'd be much obliged if you could pass on any advice about getting tickets (I understand they aren't on sale yet. I believe the tall blonde knows when they will be and where to buy them). If you have any idea how much they'd cost, I'd appreciate knowing that as well. Also, you folks would wear Spurs shirts to a game at the Emirates, wouldn't you (though I understand you won't get into bars near the stadium if you do)? Or are there ideas about deportment as an away fan you think I ought to know?

We're really looking forward to this.

Cheers

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Glad to hear that you've decided to make your first trip to see Spurs, RWAEB.
    Tickets for the NLD will probably be in great demand, as usual, but it might be even tougher for this tie, as it's so early in the season.
    Our home game against Swansea should be a lot easier and quite a bit cheaper, too.

I know that Liverpool and Man City fans were angry about being charged £62 for their tickets at the Emirates in the last campaign.
    You'd be looking at a similar outlay, if not a little more.
    Home tickets for Swansea would depend upon where your seats are, but they'd be a bit cheaper.

3. junction8spurs

junction8spurs Active Member

RWAEB,

Your best bet would be to contact the club and explain that you are coming over to see Spurs live for the 1st time etc.
    The club are usually good with overseas fans and sort out tickets for them.

Arsenal away is not going to happen I'm afraid. Last season it went to season ticket holders with 270+ points. This fixture never goes to members let alone general sale!

Plus it's not a nice day going over there, spending £60+ on a ticket to see us lose!

Good luck!

4. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Sorry, you lost me when you put the dates back to front. I couldn't work out what the 31st month of the year was <doh>

One thing you need to know when you come to that London is that it's damn expensive dude. And everything to the north is a frozen wasteland.

5. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

RWAEB

I went with my best mate last season. Your best bet is going in the Arsenal end and getting in touch with an Arsenal member/ST (that can be vouched for). It would be almost impossible to get in the Spurs end.

6. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Don't go in the Arsenal end, you never know where they've been plus you'd have to pretend to be an Arsenal fan. It comes easier to DL ( :p ).

Swansea should be good, their fans are good noise and it should be a good atmosphere from our lot as it's our first home game and Bale will be there along with a few new signings, hopefully. As Junction said, give the club a call or email because it might otherwise you may need a membership to make sure you get seats together, not sure how quickly they'll go but as it's a rare event for you to be able to get to Spurs you don't want to end up with seats apart or "restricted view".

7. District Line

Forum Moderator

Wash your mouth out <laugh>

Was one of the most confusing days of my life :bandit:

8. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

I moved to the US a year ago and this still gets me. Trouble is that now I've adapted a little bit. Which is to say that instead of reading US dates in the UK style I just can't make instant sense of either of them. All dates written numerically (US or UK style) now need to be looked at and thought about for a while. Bloody annoying.

9. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

The big one is 9/11 - It wasn't the 9th November.

10. No Kane No Gain

In America the 4th of July is celebrated on 7th of April <ok>

11. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

Definetly e-mail the club customer services with your predicament, I think its your best chance and you may even get a surprise, unless your a member your chances of the goons is zilch imo. Swansea at home could make 'general sale' for a couple of days, but being first home game of the season, unlikely, but you have to just keep checking the website for updates in the last week before ko.

12. redwhiteandermblue

Thanks for all the great advice, fellas. Writing the club sounds like a particularly useful suggestion. I haven't given up the idea of going to the Arsenal game. As LDL says, this will be an expensive visit, so spending more to get an Arsenal ticket isn't necessarily a bad idea, depending on if they're available at all, and if so, how much. I know any ticket to anything in the US has a price, and would assume that everyone else is as soulless as we are. (*Windup warning*) Just out of idle curiosity, let's imagine an American wearing, say, a retro Spurs shirt into the Arsenal end at the Emirates. What could he expect, if ten is drawn and quartered, and 0 is free beer?

I'm used to being at sea on date numbering myself, but plumb forgot when I wrote them the Amurken way. Did you know computers will "figure out" what your native language is based on, I think, your choice of keyboards? I had one computer in Italian, and another in Dutch, so I got used to the back-assward date numbering system you all use.

13. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

The price of a trip to the Emirates, in recent seasons, is not just monetary. A little bit of your hope and belief in Goodness will also be required.

Seriously I would never imagine you'd get a ticket for that. Imagine how many Spurs fans want a ticket. Then imagine how many of them have season tickets or have built up loads and loads of loyalty points. Then imagine how many tickets are for sale. Still - if writing to the club gets something done then let us know by reviving this thread. I'd love to know if it's an option next time I'm in the UK.

As for wearing a retro Spurs shirt AND being in the Arsenal end AND being American. Err - good luck. I guess you could use your Americanness to get away with the other two. Every Spurs goal you cheer it's possible people will just imagine that you haven't got a clue what's going on. Try shouting out "Go Arsenal Hotspurs!" a couple of times and they won't hold anything against you.

(To be serious - I for one would say a definite "No" to going to the Arsenal end. **** that. It'll just be boring, for a start. No singing, no shouting, no talk about the team or camaraderie with those around you. Boring. And then you'll just be getting grief from everyone around you for being a) a Yank and b) Spurs. Do not do this to yourself! There are enough British people who'll have a low opinion of you just for being American - putting on a Spurs shirt and sitting in the Arsenal end of a NLD is possibly one of the worst things I could imagine someone in your position doing).

Good luck with getting tickets, though! If you can get in the away crowd for the NLD I'm sure that will be excellent - away fans are always louder and more fun. But WHL for the first game should be good. Hope the atmosphere picks up again this season - it seemed pretty low there at times last year.

And if you want atmosphere get behind the goals or at least in the corners. Last time I was at WHL I was way up in the East stand and there were about three of us singing. **** game and we lost. Happens every time I go...

14. Sidney Fiddler

Sidney Fiddler Well-Known Member

I was in the Arsenal end (4 of us in a line ) at the 91 semi final . When Gazza scored we went bonkers. Then the second we unfolded a large star of David, none
    of us Jewish. We were evicted and kindly taken to the Spurs end. There was quite a few of us in there end scattered around. This was the only tickets we could get.
    We got the tickets via an embassy telling the clubs they were for some Saudi diplomatic staff. Spurs not surprisingly said no but the Arse were really helpful.
    We had a contact working in the embassy , so we had all the correct letterhead paper to pull it off.
    The Arse fans knew before the game who we supported as we could not control our excitement and were ok.
    Please excuse our silly and stupid behaviour as we were young ,foolish and full of hormone bravado.

15. junction8spurs

junction8spurs Active Member

RWAEB

If you were to go the the goons in the home end wearing a Spurs shirt you would be denied entry at the turnstile, big waste of £60 odd.

You should have a lot better chance of getting tickets for the swans game. As had been said, try and get the south stand or east lower (blocks 27-31) for the atmosphere.

I know that the club provide tickets for supporters clubs, is there a supporters club in new York that you could approach and try to get you tickets?

16. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

The best system is neither. I use YYYY/MM/DD, i.e. 20130601 for the first of June 2013, then any files you save on a computer starting with the date, i.e. your time sheets, are listed in date order.

17. enigma

enigma Well-Known Member

There is not a hope in hell of you getting into our home section wearing a spurs top, come on be serious. Plus you usually have to be a member to get tickets, especially for a game like that, can't see it going on general sale, so unless you know someone who is an arsenal member its unlikely that you would get a ticket for our end.

18. No Kane No Gain

He's American, he's never been to a game in England before so how would he know?

Anyway thanks for the info <ok>

19. District Line

Forum Moderator

Club colours are a no-no. You'd be lucky to get in the Arsenal end wearing a Spurs shirt in the Emirates Cup never mind a North London Derby.

Arsenal are not that bad to be fair, it's far more of a tourist and cosmopolitan ground.

10 years ago I sat in the West Ham end to watch Chelsea, if we'd won we'd have secured top 4, but anything less than a win and we'd have sent them down there and then. I couldn't enjoy the match, we wouldn't have got out alive if Chelsea had won and it was known I was a Chelsea fan. I wouldn't want anyone else to go through that experience.

Go in a touristy end and keep your head down. It's not like sport in America (with respect), it goes back decades and runs in families so it's far more tribal <ok>

20. redwhiteandermblue

Thanks again. I really don't know what to expect or what the norms are, that's why I asked. I'll give you some useless information in return, which is that I wouldn't hesitate to wear away colors to almost any sporting event almost anywhere in the US, and I certainly wouldn't be barred from entry anywhere. Whoever barred me would be in considerable danger of losing an expensive and clear-cut discrimination lawsuit.

Here and there, I'd think twice. The City of Brotherly Love (Philadelphia) is packed with nasty ****s, in my experience, who made their name booing Santa Claus and the kids who didn't find Easter eggs. Steelers colors in Oakland (an old rival) would be an adventure, but I think it would be more fun than not. I do see the larger point, which is that somehow wangling a ticket in the Spurs end would be brilliant but is in all likelihood impossible, while buying a ticket from a scalper in the Arsenal end might not be felicitous.