1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread AFC Bournemouth 16:00 Norwich City, Sunday Sept 27th

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Sep 23, 2020.

?

Who will triumph

1. Norwich

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Bournemouth

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Honours even

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Paddy Davitt's view of the match:

"There are few teams in the Championship who would have emerged with a win when faced with this City performance. Away from the off-field fuss, Farke was pleased with the fluency and improvement in passing his team displayed, while admitting they lacked a cutting edge. Bournemouth’s 5-4-1 formation did the job however and managed to keep the Canaries’ at arm’s length, largely restricting them to shots from range and with Asmir Begovic dealing with what Onel Hernandez, Lukas Rupp and Xavi Quintilla could fire at him."

"Compare this defeat with the 1-0 at Huddersfield during the opening weekend and it’s clear that response was delivered. Almost double the amount of attempted passes, 616 to 363 at Huddersfield. The share of possession was 64pc, compared to 52pc in Yorkshire, and the pass accuracy was up from 76pc to 87pc. It may have been a defeat - to a very decent goal - but the performance was much closer to that of the 2018-19."

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/bournemouth-1-norwich-0-pointers-1-6858197

carrowcanario and Canary Rob like this.
  2. mike555

mike555 Well-Known Member

Yes, I would suggest that:emoticon-0118-yawn:

3. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Another quote from Paddy:

"With no Dowell, Cantwell or Buendia the selection in midfield wasn’t too taxing for Farke but the tweak in shape to a 4-1-4-1 largely worked. Kenny McLean and Lukas Rupp brought the energy and allowed City much more midfield control than they had against Preston, with Skipp really growing into his role as the deep-lying pivot as the game progressed. Rupp and Onel Hernandez in particular linked well but Bournemouth’s packed defence managed to fill most of the gaps and keep Teemu Pukki relatively isolated. With McLean also able to add his aerial presence further forward, this felt like a step in the right direction for the midfield unit."

It could be that as Skipp improves this could be a formation we see more of this season. Rupp did all right, but Dowell or Buendia could really thrive in that role.

4. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

Of course Begovich and the three in front of him rated highly. What would you expect of a team which sits back and is happy to let the opposition have the ball, confining them to shots from outside the area? There was nothing exceptional about the saves Begovich made. The overall ratings of the two sides tell you who really controlled the game.
    As for crosses, in the three games we've played so far, we've had the highest average number of crosses per game of any team in the league, 78 in all (a massive 80% of them being classified as inaccurate incidentally). A cross is a pass to the centre made from wide, so the reality doesn't fit with your inference from the heat maps. Did you mention invention?

5. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

So yes, you will ignore the fact that everyone else rates them as performing highly and instead you think your analysis that it means we must have been poor is the only answer.

OK, well I'm afraid I give up then Robbie. It seems you will argue black is white if that's what's necessary to believe Farke is the worst manager we've ever had.

And for Christ's sake, I do wonder with you and your statistics. Of course we have made a lot of crosses. We made double the number of passes Bournemouth did! The heat map does not lie though - we were clearly trying to play through the middle. Yes, I do talk about invention. You will twist anything to suit your view. I'm not interested in absolute numbers of crosses though - where do we tally in terms of percentages of overall passes? And how many of those matches are against teams who park the bus? Plus how many of our crosses were made when Hugill was on the pitch? And have you excluded, eg, the Hernandez cross along the ground which only narrowly missed Pukki's toe? And all the other crosses on the ground (I can think of perhaps three?)

If you can get those stats up against the rest of the league, then we can think again. So far, as ever, it sounds to me like you are choosing only whatever you find convenient.

6. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

May I just say stats get on my tats?

7. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

As former Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli once said: “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.” And the same is as true today as when he first coined the phrase.

I tend to agree

ncgandy, mike555 and carrowcanario like this.
  8. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

Fully agree. If 10 people are 6ft tall and 10 people are 5ft tall the stats will show that the average height is 5ft 6in but nobody is 5ft 6in - another useless stat!!!

ncgandy likes this.