1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Afghanistan

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by brb, Aug 14, 2021.

1. brb

brb CR250

Anyone understand what's going on out there?

I know the troops from America and UK have withdrawn, but what is the threat to Kabul, a population of over 4 million people.

I see some woman being interviewed and she didn't seem bothered by the Taliban approaching the borders of the city.

So what's the fear is it all media hype or is there a genuine risk to the local people in the area, if there is a fear, what is it and why don't they fight?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  2. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

Utter **** storm ... the real losers appear to be women - reports that the Taliban are forcing women in the areas that they are taking to wear burkhas and to abandon any thoughts of education etc in favour of traditional roles dictated by religion ... the West has abandoned those wanting to be part of the modern world... would have been far better to have left them alone in the first place ... but 9/11, Osama bin Laden, Al Quaeda etc ...

brb likes this.
  3. brb

brb CR250

That's not true, not in Kabul anyway, as the Taliban were still on the outskirts of it. I saw women openly wearing the burkha, there was no one there forcing them to wear it. They saw the media and the American and British forces as interfering. Hence why I'm asking the questions.

I was trying to understand what's going on. Something is not adding up, the Taliban have crossed a region of 39 million people, their aim I assume is to reach the centre, Kabul, how big is this Taliban army, to advance so quickly and overthrow 39 million people nationally of which 4 million are in Kabul.

Are we seriously saying after 20 years, we haven't taught the Afghan's to fight back, IF that's what they want.

I understand Sharia law, but that wasn't really what I was asking or focusing on. Yes, it's something the Western media like to play on, without actually answering the logistics of what's occurring.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    Treble, Lovearsenalcock and Diego like this.
  4. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Not in Kabul no - but reported to be the case in the other provincial capitals that have fallen - how accurate the reporting? Who knows?

According to the BEEB the Taliban have about 60,000 official fighters ... but the Afghan state army about 5 times the number, yet they are getting blitzed ... the real fun will start once the government has been overthrown ... the Taliban are not one consistent body - rather several groups under different tribal warlords, currently united on religious grounds and with the common shared objective of overthrowing the western puppet government ... once that is done there may well be an internal power struggle amongst the different factions within 'the Taliban'

brb likes this.
  5. brb

brb CR250

I've edited my post a few times since the quote, never mind, my fault.

To me it just appears the Afghans are rolling over for the Taliban, to advance as quickly as they have. Maybe this is what the Americans want, an internal tribal war....civil war. Everyone must have seen what the consequences were going to be.

FosseFilberto likes this.
  6. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Echoes of the yanks pulling out of Vietnam but with a religious dynamic this time around ... only thing for certain is that there will be many many deaths and millions of civilians displaced ...

brb likes this.
  7. brb

brb CR250

The Americans are useless, always have been, fook up everything they touch.

8. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

9. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Number 1 Jasper and Diego like this.
  10. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Yep but could now leave them very vulnerable and isolated if the Taliban get there fast enough.

11. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Taliban used to rule Afghanistan so they kind of see themselves as a returning government.

The Afghans who live rurually are more likely to support the Taliban as they seem more conservative in their views. I believe the Afghans living in big citys like Kabul have been enjoying their relative freedoms and are now panicked because they know that's coming to an end.

As for the Afghan army. The Afghans have bailed out and surrended straightaway feeling defeated and betrayed that they've been left to face the ****storm alone. I also imagine many were only ever there for the wages and safety being among the yanks. Now they've got to actually fight, they aren't interested. I read lots have jumped sides simply because the Taliban offer them higher wages and better protection.

Quesadaad, BobbyD, brb and 1 other person like this.
  12. Libby

Libby 9-0

We'll be back there in a couple of years.

13. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

Not surprised by the Taliban advance whatsoever.

Have you seen the Vice documentary on Afghanistan? If not, @brb mate you should seriously give it a watch, its all on YouTube.

Sure there are one or two actual soldiers in the afghan army, but its mostly a rabble, no common goal, no real desire, a lot of drugs.

A US soldier gives an example of a large brand new base that they built, at the end of the US tour, it will be given to the afghanis. The base is equipped with solar panels and a top of the line network tower. He points out the average soldier in fact cant even read, so as these things break, it will be a useless hunk of concrete. Waste of time n money.

Or the base with a gaseline generator, which the soldiers steal n sell on the market, most likely purchased by the Taliban. <laugh>

The Army isnt even a paper tiger. It exists on Wikipedia and thats about it.

Number 1 Jasper and Quesadaad like this.
  14. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

20 years and they all pack up and **** off, back to the Stone Age within a month.

What a colossal waste of time and effort and life.

I read the Taliban had been taking all of the left military equipment that was intended for the Afghan army out of storage compounds along the way. It’s the woman of the nation who will suffer the most, as their freedoms will be curtailed.

15. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Poland's president Andrzej Duda has approved a law that will make it harder for Jewish people to recover property lost during and after World War

Israel has recalled its diplomatic envoy to Warsaw over the changes, branding the law "anti-Semitic".

The legislation relates to claims on property stolen by Nazi Germany, then seized by Poland's communist regime.

The law sets a 30-year limit on challenges to such confiscations.

As most happened soon after the war, many outstanding claims will now be blocked.

The Polish government says the change will end a period of legal chaos, but Israel condemned it forcibly.

"Poland today approved - not for the first time - an immoral, anti-Semitic law," Israeli Foreign Minister Yair Lapid said in a statement.

<laugh>

like Cypress Hill said

‘what go around come around’

Welshie likes this.
  16. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

Ok

Israel bro, thats a bit on the nose guys <laugh>

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  17. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

If you read into it, the claims from Jews are a tiny percentage of the total claims made for property etc. It’s apparently caused major issues with rental blocks etc and it’s been a target for fraud. So they’ve basically ended it to solve the issue.

The Israeli’s labelling it anti Semitic is a bit rich when it applies universally and they’re not being disproportionately affected. Not being funny but if you’ve not set about reclaiming what you maintain is stolen property 75 years on, then where you been like?

18. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

I think the lesson to be learnef here is that not everyone wants to live like us, so leave well alone.

19. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

The **** has this got to do with Afghanistan? Or is it the all too common bait n switch to halt a conversation about western failures and Islamic fundamentalism?

Mate I'm fine with you criticising Israel as much as you want. I do it often enough myself. We even have a thread for it.

But don't, from a position of almost total ignorance, conflate Israeli politics with Jewish issues surrounding the holocaust.

20. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

welcome to the PL board CK