1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

ALAN CURTIS

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by DragonPhilljack, Jan 8, 2016.

1. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

He will make a very positive mark on this season, here's his take on Frank Tabanou:

Tabanou is set for only the third appearance of his Swansea City career as part of a much-changed side for the FA Cup third round. But Curtis feels the Frenchman has the ability to play a much bigger role in the second half of the season. "We have barely seen Franck play but he is training now and he has got an unbelievable left foot," Curtis said. "He is as good a left-footed player as I've seen. He smashes the ball for fun.

"I have been watching video clips of him. I actually sat him down the other day and said: 'Franck, who is that man?'."He is going past people, beating two or three players and smashing it in from 30 yards, taking free-kicks, penalties. I haven't seen that fella before. "We haven't utilised him for whatever reason, maybe because of the form of Neil Taylor."But maybe they can both play in the same team. We have always thought of Franck as a full-back but we could play him further on."He was bought as a left-back but Tayls' form has meant he has not had the games. But you look at the clips and he could be anything."

"Franck is a hefty guy, that's his build, but he has done all the fitness work and worked really hard in the last couple of weeks" he added. "He needs games and will play at Oxford, and he could be virtually a new signing for us."Mentally he feels invigorated and feels he has got a chance and that's probably the same with a few of them. I am not knocking anything that went on before, but sometimes it works that way. "He could play a huge part and we hope he will do. He's certainly got the ability."

This is a sign of a good manager with excellent man management skills, well said Curt.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  2. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

I thought it was common knowledge that he could play further upfield.

3. DragonPhilljack

To be honest I just haven't checked, so it was news to me, but I like Curts style though, he will make his mark in our hall of fame again for sure this season.......<cheers>

4. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Agree. I've read he can play left mid/left wing?

Looking forward to seeing him play Sunday. A good performance might mean an inclusion v Sunderland as a sub.

5. DragonPhilljack

ALAN Curtis has taken a leaf out of John Toshack's book by telling Swansea City's players he doesn't want to be called boss. But Swansea's interim manager, as he will be officially known, has indicated for the first time that he is not completely averse to the idea of leading the club in the long term. Curtis said throughout his month-long stint as caretaker boss that he did not want to be the permanent successor to Garry Monk.

But having been installed this week until the end of the season, the 61-year-old has refused to rule out the idea of remaining in charge beyond 2015-16. Even so, Curtis is not about to change his ways — and he does not want the players to alter the way they address him. "They will be fined if they call me boss — I have banned that from the training ground," Curtis reveals. I am not going to wear a suit either. "I am determined not to change my nature — although I am certainly not afraid to make a point if it needs to be made.

"Even in the last couple of games, I have made a point to certain individuals who I felt were not playing well or were not responding. "I would like to think they have a bit of respect for me and that they will take the criticism in the right way." "I have said before that I've never really seen myself as a manager, but you can quickly change your mindset," he adds. - EP

ValleyGraduate12 and JackPA26 like this.
  6. JackPA26

JackPA26 Active Member

Interesting comment regards Tosh. I'm sure he's offering support to Curtis.....in fact would be amazed if he isn't. The idea of Curtis managing longer term would not upset me, especially if he keeps us up, which I believe he will. He is showing all the right signs anyway, in terms of selection, tactics, and man management. We have a good squad but need to give the fringe player some time actually playing. I'm excited to see Tabanou play.

Liverpool actually did ok with the boot room boys....Shanks, Paisley, Fagan etc. Curtis may be the start of something similar for us, you never know. ....just took him a little longer getting there<cheers>

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  7. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

I thought Curtis was doing really well until he came to the part where he says how well Neil Taylor is playing. We have been crying out for a LB who can pass forward, pass early to his winger and not close his space down and actually be able to whip ball in to the box.

Great to see him building players egos up and maybe we will get to see the player we thought we signed. I said for ages away from home both Tabanou and Taylor down the left would work for me,

8. PGFWhite

We used Rangel and Tiendalli to close down the right hand side for a period against Arsenal away a few seasons back. Not only does it close a side down, but we also retain a threat as we can still attack.

In some matches/situations we could have Taylor/Tabanou on the left and Rangel/Norton on the right.

9. bigkidderz

bigkidderz Well-Known Member

"I am not knocking anything that went on before" - read that as the opposite. Curtis clearly had some form of disagreement with the way things were being managed at coaching level.

Great to see him trying to invigorate players the players that had lost all hope of playing - Tabanou was a new signing in the summer but will seem like a January signing once we get him firing. While I can't argue that Taylor has played a lot better from the West Ham game onwards, his form under Monk was nothing more than average. It'll be interesting to see how Curtis manages the left-hand side of our team, especially with Montero out-of-form and misfiring at the moment too. Could well be a spot for Tabanou on that left wing.

10. trundles left foot

Mate I believe a lot of Montero's problems start with Taylor. He is to slow giving him the ball or he runs towards him closing his space down, which gives defenders plenty of time to close him down or double up on him. The other issue is if Taylors was to then make a run past him it would also draw defenders away giving him a 1 on 1. but Taylor just doesn't do it.

11. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

I applaud Curt's comments, but we shouldn't be surprised. Monk always was one for favourites and personalities, he was that type of guy. Tabanou came here will a top reputation and it's criminal the way he's been cast aside with hardly a try-out. I also disagree with Curtis on Taylor. We are impotent down the left yet we have oner of the quickest wingers in the League. That's down to Taylor.

12. trundles left foot

I hope we get to see Tabanou and Montero playing together tomorrow, be interesting to see how they get on. Have to give Tabanou time as he has had very little football this season, but think those 2 may make a decent paring.

13. bigkidderz

I like Montero a lot, but I'm not going to completely lie the blame at Taylor's door. Ayew on the right has badly affected Montero too (by drifting inside and allowing the defence to shift over and double/triple mark Monty), as has Shelvey's preference to search for a central through-ball to Gomis rather than look wide.

Long story short, Monk's tactics underutilised and inhibited one of our most talented players. I do think Tabanou and Montero could work something out down the left - but the team would need to be without Shelvey and with a proper wide-right winger. I fear that with Taylor in the side we concentrate so much on defending the opposition that we forget that if you can put pressure on their winger and full back, you can pressure your opponents into staying back instead. We used to have a mentality of 'attack is the best form of defence', but under Monk we have been the polar opposite of that mentality.

14. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

You have a point, BK. But how many times have we seen Montero run down on the left only for Taylor to turn and pass it back to Williams? You can usually bank on it.

15. bigkidderz

I'd say 9 times out of 10 that was the case! Absolute bore-fest. He certainly is a big reason why Montero's form dropped, just I feel there are other significant contributing factors too. Like the two of you, I would like Taylor out of the starting lineup (even if he's looked better under Curtis) and it's one of my biggest disappointments of this season that Monk persisted with Taylor and froze Tabanou out of the reckoning - it's a shame that Monk turned out to be as one-dimensional as a coach as he was as a player. While he'll always have his achievements and be well remembered as both player and manager, when put under pressure he showed himself to unfortunately be a one-dimensional tactician, just like as a player when pushed at the highest level he showed himself as average and dependable but ultimately not quite good enough - a description that quite aptly describes Taylor, funnily enough.

16. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

In fairness to Curtis that whole "Taylor has been our best player " thing happened during an interview where a journalist asked about reports of Tabanou going back to St. Etienne in the transfer window .
    A rumour that startled Curtis during the interview and he knew nothing about it .Curtis got very defensive and started subtly saying Taylor was playing well and that why Tabanou wasn't getting a sniff . By the time he was done he was saying Taylor was our best player so far this season , something I actually don't think he meant but just got caught up in the moment .

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  17. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

I too am very excited to see Tab start, well overdue. I'd also like to see him and Monty play together, on paper it sounds like a blistering combination.

18. PGFWhite

I wouldn't have too much expectation of what Tabanou can achieve tomorrow. I know he played against Hull, but he's been injured since then so It's almost another debut. A heavy waterlogged pitch away from home in the FA Cup could be a tough baptism!

19. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

Good point, the pitch could well be their 12th man <laugh>

PGFWhite likes this.
  20. DragonPhilljack

He's going to be s tad rusty and will need some time, won't see his best for a few games, but I'd sure like to see that lef foot in action..........<cheers>