1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

All quiet on the transfer front.

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

To be fair the guy was a kid back then, wasnt he 22 or something when we sold him to Everton?
    And he has since proved he can score bags of goals at 2 other PL clubs (Everton and Man Utd) and in Italy with Inter.
    Chelsea is a much different team than it was in 2013 and Lukaku is a much different player than he was then, so I am not too worried about that.

Lukaku is very much a box striker, a poacher, someone who, if you create chances for him, he will stick them away (ie the opposite of Werner). That is how Everton and Inter utilised him to great effect
    He isnt good at being involved in build up play, his first touch can be left wanting and he isnt as good at holding up the ball as you would expect from a guy his size. He gets compared to Drogba, but I dont see that at all, he is more of a Van Nistelrooy type striker. At United he didnt get quite as good service and was expected to be involved in the build up play, which is why he was less effective, but even then he still had a decent goal scoring record.

We create a lot of chances, we just lack a striker with a killer instinct to put them away. With players like Mount, Ziyech, Werner, Pulisic creating chances for him, Lukaku should get 20+ league goals a season for us.

I agree about the Haaland part though, and that was my only reservation about buying Lukaku is that it may prevent us from going for Haaland next summer, because he could be a 10 year investment and Lukaku very much is a short term fix, for 2-3 years tops. I think we have paid a little more for Lukaku than I would have liked, but these days a proven 20+ goal a season striker who is under 30 is going to cost you north of £75m, thats just the way the market is these days.

2. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

Out of the three Lukaku is the one who I wanted us to go for, although from reading here and elsewhere it seems I’m in the minority.

Absolutely miles better player than when he left us. He got 1 in 2 at Everton and WBA and now he’s at the peak of his career, he should be getting that for us. We create loads of chances, just no one to put them away. He’s not 29 until the season ends so I’d expect 4 maybe even 5 years out of him, 20+ goals a season, good business.

A lot of competition to play next to him though. Mount, Ziyech, Havertz, Werner & Pulisic all for 2 places. Wonder if one might leave before the window shuts.

3. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I am actually hoping we dont ditch Werner. For all his faults as a goalscorer, what he did do exceptionally well last season was making great runs and pulling defenders out of position. If he can create spaces for someone like Lukaku to score goals then I think they can work really well together.
    Lukaku, with Werner and Havertz either side of him could work well. We'd also have Ziyech and Pulisic to call upon too to mix things up, our attacking options would be awesome.

4. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Halland was the one I wanted, but if Dormund wont sell, then I am more than happy with Lukaku as a 2nd choice, I think he will suit our style of play.
    I just hope that doesnt mean we stop pursuing Haaland is all.

5. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Werner was exceptional in his runs and set up play during the last part of the season. He ran a few teams ragged with his speed and ability to get into the clear with defenders pulled out of position as a result. If he improves in his second season ,as many players do, then he just might find his scoring boots again.What a bonus that would be with Lukaku there as well, as seems likely.

Diego likes this.
  6. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

Roma close to getting Abraham for £34 Mil.

7. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Hope this happens for the youngster, he looks to me to have everything except football smarts. Always just that bit late, or just that bit offside, never quite right on it.
    A change of Club may be just what he needs to add the final touch to his overall game, and where better than Rome as a place to find inspiration ?

8. armchairblue

armchairblue Well-Known Member

Yep.....We'll buy him back for 100mil plus when Lukaku is knackered.

Bodinki likes this.
  9. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

Doing some more good business this year. Our academy gets some stick for hoarding players but Guehi, Tomori & Abraham have fetched us about 75M this year and with the other few we’ve got rid it’s pretty much covered the Lukaku fee.

Diego likes this.