1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Am I missing something......

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by omogooner, Feb 9, 2012.

1. goonercymraeg

goonercymraeg Amnesia
    Forum Moderator

I've always thought the demise of the FA Cup started with the advent of live football on TV

2. The Magic Man

The Magic Man Well-Known Member

What in 1937???????

3. goonercymraeg

goonercymraeg Amnesia
    Forum Moderator

1935 actually <grr>

4. The Magic Man

The Magic Man Well-Known Member

Arsenal and Arsenal Reserves at Highbury on 16 September 1937 was the 1st televised game.

But you should probably know, you were there.

5. goonercymraeg

goonercymraeg Amnesia
    Forum Moderator

I was thinking about the days of the news reels <whistle>

6. cjuliennech1

cjuliennech1 Member

Are you stupid? Clearly qualifying for the champions league is the priority because it means that rvp will probably stay and we will still be able to attract top players, as well as the clear financial bonuses. Winning the fa cup means nothing apart from the fact that we have won a trophy, obviously it would be great if we did both but getting in the top 4 puts us in a far better position for next season as opposed to winning the fa cup.

7. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

So wise one, you think RVP will stay because we are in the Champions League..... Again? I can see the conversation at the end of his career......
    RVP, one of the best players of his generation blah blah.... Show me your medals, what did you win......
    RVP: Erm, I think I managed 1 FA Cup medal (not sure), but I came 2/3/4th in the league lots of time, does that count for a medal?
    Would you begrudge him if he decides to leave to win things? Fab has only been gone 6months and he has two medals to his name!

8. Jamrag

Jamrag Well-Known Member

If one of the repercussions is losing RVP, then yes it would be a catastrophy.

That said, give me a choice of finishing 5th & the Spuds 6th or finishing 4th & the Spuds 3rd, I would have to think long and hard, but hope my head would rule my heart.

Ignore the above. I would settle for 16th if the Spuds were 17th every time :)

9. robin_van_ fiberglass

robin_van_ fiberglass Active Member

<laugh> <laugh> That is probably the best outcome possible.

10. Daveunited

Daveunited Well-Known Member

off topic but have you gone from robin van fibreglass to rovin van bergkamp back to rovin van fibreglass again

11. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

The minute the european cup became the champions league things changed. You got into the europen cup by winning the league but you get into the CL by coming 4th....the money is massive...therefore it is THE only consideration....the prem is simply a means to get to CL money.
    Until the Champions League goes back.to being champions it will be like this.
    I loved it when we won the carling cup a few years back. Me and my kids couldnt get tickets but made a real day of it. We watched the match .... Screamed the house down and a few weeks later went to the lane and had our photos taken with it....yet it is considered pointless to win it. Very similar to the fa cup.
    Seems souless to me...goes along with 100k aweek mercanary players, money grabbing agents, million pound boot deals, players rarely showing any loyalty and glory hunting fans....ih and the 'football brand'.
    I am a spurs fan...was when we were relegated, when you beat us 5 nil at the lane, when we lost cup semi finals to you, when we had gross as a manager...its these things that made winning trophies or beating you lot in,semi finals all the more sweeter. I have no idea where we finished in the league in 81 or 82 ....but i remember us winning the fa cup....guess I just an ol boring git but whats the point in getting excited about 4th and not giving a **** abiut winning a trophy?

12. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Two different users, Dave.

13. shaxi

shaxi Member

it is the fact !:emoticon-0118-yawn:

please log in to view this image

14. robin_van_ fiberglass

robin_van_ fiberglass Active Member

<laugh> We are different people.

15. Samurai

Samurai Active Member

<laugh> might as well change my name to something robin related to confuse you <laugh> <laugh> <laugh>

16. theHotHead

theHotHead New Member

Nah I don't think so, I remember in the 70s and 80s, the FA Cup was massive, the pomp and ceremony of the thing, ITV and BBC both broadcasting it live, the entire morning committed to the build up, it was a massive occasion.