1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

And One For Ron....

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Reebok, May 16, 2020.

1. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

Tamerlo and SwanHills like this.
  2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cheers Reebs. And I was there to witness the great one

3. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

It's a bit of a shame that the brilliant Federico Tesio is rarely mentioned in this day and age Ron. History slowly buries it legends with time. Some might remember the man being Ribot's breeder, but how many recall his deeds in bringing the superstar Nearco into this world? Nearco sired Nearctic who gave us the mighty Northern Dancer.

A small tribute to Ribot Ron, enjoy mate. I deliberated for quite a while before posing this question. "Is Ribot the best horse we've seen in the last 70 years?"

I think I'd give him my vote.

Reebok and SwanHills like this.
  4. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Yes, a truly great horse. Italian-trained and owned and British-bred, I believe. His sire Tenerani was a great racehorse too. Wouldn't quarrel with anyone who reckons he is the greatest racehorse ever. Tremendous at stud too. Wish I had seen the 1956 King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes, but must have been away somewhere (can't remember). Did notice the winning time for the race was a moderate 2:40.24, but that is a churlish comment, possibly soft ground conditions that day. Was very sad that Federico Tesio, who died in 1954, did not live long enough to see Ribot's triumphs.
    Info Source: Wikipedia.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Reebok and Cyclonic like this.
  5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes it was soft Swanny and Ribot actually slipped on the bend. Also as you could see it was a hands and heels ride

SwanHills likes this.
  6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'll be watching this later Cyc - thanks

Cyclonic likes this.
  7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Lovely videos. Thanks Cyc. Brought back wonderful memories

Cyclonic likes this.
  8. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Never saw Ribot but even so as a young teenager was aware of the impression he made on racing. What I find amazing about the horse is that one week he'd run over 12f and a month later he'd be going over 9f. I believe he won over as far as 15f and the thought was that he'd go for the Ascot Gold Cup or the King George, and they decided on the latter. In the KG the second horse was the Royal runner High Veldt. He was a 3yo and quite possibly the second-best colt owned by The Queen. However that race broke him and he never won another race. The great shame with Ribot was that the USA breeders got their hands on him. He should have stood in Europe and probably should have stood in France or the UK.
    Although spoken of as British Bred he was very much Italian bred, the GB sticker comes because he was born in the UK. Tesio often used UK sires and Romanella, Ribot's dam, was bred to many British sires. As regards the breeding of Nearco Tesio wanted Nogara to be covered by Lord Derby's sire Fairway but could not get a nomination. He sent Nogara to Fairway's brother Pharos and the rest was history.
    You are right Tesio is seldom mentioned and should be. I often mention him when talking about the mass-breeding of one mare to one sire or sire-line which he most certainly would not advocate. I think he would be shocked by the breeding scene today.

SwanHills and Cyclonic like this.
  9. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Yes indeed, beautiful videos. You can always trust the Italians to be artistic and produce things with flair. They even got the background music spot-on! Treasure video clips. <applause>

Bustino74 and Ron like this.
  10. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

I never saw Ribot but I thought his son, Ragusa, was one of very best middle distance horses I’ve seen.
    His improvement from being beaten at Chester and Epsom to winning the Irish Derby and King George was immeasurable. As a late May goal, he surely would have made an awesome four year old.

Reebok and Ron like this.