1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Andy Carroll Red Card

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by MarchwoodSaint, Feb 7, 2014.

1. canary_max

canary_max Well-Known Member

as a norwich fan i'd be pissed off if it's overturned, as mentioned above we play them next week.
    paul lambert is right, it would set a precedent to review all dodgy decisions.

2. pass the football

pass the football Well-Known Member

All dodgy decisions are already reviewed. If you mean it would set a precedent to seek legal redress, then I don't agree. It would only encourage others to do that if they had reason to believe the FA wasn't following its own rules, as is apparently the case here. Taking the matter to court would make no difference whatsoever to the majority of cases.

3. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I agree with CM .

He was sent off , they appealed . The appeal was turned down , they complained so the FA will look at it AGAIN . Can of worms being opened / Making a rod for their own back IF the red Card is rescinded ( SP ) .

4. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Is that actually the case? I didn't get the impression that there was any procedure error. I don't really know, it's sort of hard to cut through the Gold/Allardici hand-waving to find out what they are actually saying.

5. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

What rules aren't the FA following in this case? What did they do?

6. pass the football

The BBC article states:

That's the basis for legal action, not simply that they don't think it was the correct decision. If it is rescinded on that basis, how is that opening a can of worms, assuming the proper procedure is followed in all other cases?

7. fran-MLs little camera

In cricket, they only overrule the Umpire if there is a clear reason to do so...otherwise they stick with the on-field decision. The FA said they saw no reason to overrule the ref, so they are applying the same logic. West Ham are clutching at straws.

p.s. Not accepting the FAs decision is opening a can of worms because everyone will think they have a case (if it is important to them).

8. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Ah I see, seems strange though, the correct test is "did the referee make a clear and obvious error", I'm guessing they didn't use one that was tougher towards West Ham... so I really don't see what their line is. They might think the test is wrong but it's a bit late for that argument. Still smells a bit like a PR exercise to me.

9. Number 1 Jasper

Had not spotted that to be honest . But just their word , so we will see .

I do agree with Qwerty though , seems strange .

10. pass the football

I don't know what precisely West Ham think the FA has done wrong, but as I say, that's the basis of their legal appeal and I don't see any problem with them exercising their right to seek legal redress. If it turns out the FA did follow correct procedure, then they will lose the case.

11. fran-MLs little camera

The ref didn't make a clear error...it was Andy Carroll (not mistaken identity), he swung out an arm in an unnatural manner (i.e. not essential to maintain his balance), and he wasn't freeing himself from Chico (that wrestling match was over). He did connect with Chico (though that is unnecessary for a red card..intent is enough).

12. pass the football

Where did you get the idea that this is what West Ham are challenging?

13. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

I'm guessing if they had any specific ideas they would have mentioned it by now ;) maybe they'll think of one before the no.2 appeal, I don't know.

14. pass the football

Not necessarily. They will presumably mention it in court (it would be a pretty weak case otherwise!) but it might be complex and difficult to explain in a soundbite.

15. fran-MLs little camera

I hope West Ham are only challenging an error under FA rules...the real danger would be if they (or anyone else) started to challenge decisions under ordinary law. Football Clubs have signed up to operate within FA rules, but some could probably be challenged in a court of law. Unlikely to happen, but I could see ManU or City flicking through their law books if they were pushed off the gravy train by a points deduction (for financial wrong doing for instance).

16. Number 1 Jasper

They have said they will NOT take legal action , they will abide by the Tribunal hearing .

17. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

(i) He is
    (ii) Shows how poor a team they have

18. pass the football

Ok, they threatened it, and then withdrew the threat when the FA, in saying they would reconsider it, tacitly acknowledged their complaint had some merit. If the FA had not indicated it would reconsider, I would imagine that the legal action may well have gone ahead.

If the FA do again uphold the ban, then I wouldn't be surprised if that threat suddenly reappeared.

19. NISaint

NISaint Well-Known Member

Threatening legal action because a decision went against them? What is the world coming to? This should have been rubbished by the F.A publicly and immediately and it isn't as though West Ham are the only club who can afford a lawyer. This is the start of it. West Ham are a hateful bunch. A **** brand of football, an overrated manager, ****s from wall to wall.

20. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

And hopefully going down :)