1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Are we gng to have a Brum thread?

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by deleted....., Aug 17, 2012.

1. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Just in the cab- robbed is the first word. Proud the second. We took it it a top championship side and were the much, much better side. Possession wise there wasn't much, but we never looked like conceding (argh), and looked like scoring. Off to my nans in Stratford upon Avon then home tomorrow. Will put up a more detailed report when on the train.

2. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

Palace 2 3 Watford so cheer up boys that's hilarious

3. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Nothing to be sad about. Believe me.

4. ybabobmij

ybabobmij Active Member

Just saw goals on SSN. Zigic was really jammy. Dummied the centre back with an untended bounce of his shin pad! Freak!!!!! (the goal that is...)

Don't like the big white bit on our socks!! Bah humbug.

5. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

I agree with all hell. I'd have taken the draw at 2.45 so I'm still happy as I can be after we concede in injury time. Still a great start to the season. Early days yet but good feelings again.

6. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Right - on the train = laptop + peeshed. Here we go.

hamer = 7. solid gloves
    solly - 7. welcome to the championship. played well, but overshadowed by....
    wiggins - 8. brilliant. composed in defence and better going forward. burke gave him a tough battle but i think he won.
    cort - 8 (+1 for goal). will definitely be morro's partner. reads the game better.
    morro - 7. same as last seasons. needs to be more aware of opposition possession on edge of area (king turned him a few times).
    Pritchard - 8 you all know I'm maybe his biggest critic (whulst always rating him). He showed the discipline I've spoken about and was brilliant going forward and hassling B'ham.
    Stphens and Hollands - 7. Better. Still not convinced by partnetship but they battled well. The game was unusaly in that possession was a but incoherent from both sides, especially in the middle. Stephens crosses caused trouble.
    JJ - 7.5. Brilliant. Same as usual, you don't realise him in the middle (funny as a midfielder), but in attack and defence you see him. #peekabo
    BWP - 7. Battled well and his movement was dangerous. Some will mark him down for a couple missed chances, but you then have to be equally as harsh on Kermo and JJ (which they wont)
    Kermo - 7. More flair than BWP. i think those who were there will understand when I say that he seemed to ''relish'' the new environment.

Voila

7. Tewkesbury Addick

Tewkesbury Addick Active Member

Just got home.

There's only one word for that performance - magnificent.

Should have been three points, but the first thing Zigic did when he came on was flatten Morrison (no card from a dismal referee) and without the time added on for that, it would have been ours.

Can't feel upset though, too proud, that'll probably kick in tomorrow.

When I was getting back in my car, I was grabbed by an old friend from Birmingham I haven't seen for a couple of years - "we certainly played our get out of jail free card today", she said. Yes, you certainly did.

Must eat - more later.

8. Tewkesbury Addick

Tewkesbury Addick Active Member

OK, a bit more.

As you'll all know I'm not exactly Hamer's biggest fan but today he probably had his best game I've seen for us - absolutely decisive in catching crosses, solidly behind a couple of shots and one tremendous punch under pressure in the second half. The difference seems to be that he's standing further off the CBs, especially at corners, so there's no tendency for him to have to try and catch or punch the ball with the CBs directly in front of him. Good stuff.

Stephens and Holland worked well, but started to be overrun in the second half, at which point one or both of them should have been subbed, but it never happened.

There was no need to bring Taylor on at the end.

The support today was tremendous, I can hardly speak - the chant of "Is there a fire drill?" when the Birmingham supporters started streaming out was hilarious. The home fans were conspicuous by their absence and by their eerie quiet.

However, we do seem to have picked up a particularly foul-mouthed element from somewhere - they were particularly noticeable at Gillingham. I wish they'd shut up or go away, preferably both.

Lee Clark was so funny. Whinging, jumping about, complaining to his own bench - compare and contrast with Sir Chris and Alex Dyer - absolute calm.

Birmingham are going to have the same trouble with Clark as Udders had. As a player, he was a rock solid, run-through-walls type, a fine defensive midfielder. Problem is he has no flair, no imagination and no appetite for risk so the side ends up worthy but directionless. The two players who could have influenced things, but are slightly 'risky' were warming the bench until an hour and 85 minutes respectively - completely nuts.

Last things - the stewards were helpful and polite, the announcer was brainless and irritating and that's certainly the loudest PA I've ever heard at a match - must have invested in a sub-woofer in the close season.

Good start - more of the same please - this time with three points. <ok>

9. WWOCB

WWOCB Active Member

Hamer 6.5 - in truth had very little to do, most shots were aimed right at him. Remained steady and good distribution.

Solly 7 - had to be even more alert given the strength of the opposition, but was his usual tough-tackling/clever turning self. Few mis-placed passes.

Cort 7 - was a rock at the back and took his header very well (even if it was pretty much a tap-in). Could see how much the goal meant to him. Showed a few bits of poor control but I expect that from him.

Morrison 7 - solid as per usual. Was an asset when attacking too (..again...as per usual).

Wiggins 7 - showed some very clever close control and defended well. Didn't get forward as much as I'd have liked, but that's to be expected given Birminghams ability. Whenever he did get forward he caused problems.

Pritchard 6.5 - positioned himself well to receive passes and linked up well with Solly. A few decent crossed too.

Stephens 7.5 - put in the type of performance I love to see from him. Kept the ball stuck close to his feet as though it were made of velcro and passed it around very very well.

Hollands 7 - anonymous at times (as we grow to expect) but whenever you did notice him he was putting in a bloody great deal of effort. Tough-tackling, switching play and some beautiful sliding tackles and interceptions.

Jackson 7 - put in a good shift. Nearly got a few goals, some great aerial ability on show and was calm and controlled on the ball.

Kermorgant 7 - as usual, brilliant link-up play, dominated in the air, but was given a rough-treatment by the Brum defence and won very little from the ref.

BWP 6.5 - looked very very lively and timed his runs very well. Would have given him a higher rating, but one poor poor piece of play brought it down - was one on one with the keeper from an awkward angle, with nobody marking him and played the ball to the centre-spot without once looking up...not a single red shirt in sight.

(Subs)

Taylor n/a - not enough time to judge (though I would expect our whole defence to not have gifted Zigic such a chance to score).

Cook 7 - not much time to judge, but seemed lively, caused problems, and contributed to the goal.

CAFC Fans 8 - never stopped making noise throughout the whole of the first half. Noise died out a bit at the start of the second, but reached breaking point again in the last 10 minutes. As seems to be the norm these days, a few right dickheads attended the game, pissed out of their heads and looking for trouble. Vast vast majority did the club proud.

Got to be honest, left the game feeling absolutely gutted, but after a few hours of contemplation I realised I shouldn't be. Prior to the game I'd said a draw would be a good result, and whilst perhaps we were the better team throughout the game, the draw still remains a good return given the size and quality of Birmingham.

10. Captain Blackaddick

Captain Blackaddick Well-Known Member

Normally I'd be gutted about letting in a last minute equaliser, but tonight I'm not.

Today we proved that we are more than capable of holding our own in this division. Birmingham were nothing special, and unless they improve there's no way they're going to be in the promotion race, but we created enough chances to win the game, and bar one defensive lapse right at the end we would have done.

Wiggins was class. Cort was solid as a rock, and I'm delighted he got his first goal for us today. Pritchard worked so hard, and it showed by the end. Hamer was as commanding as we've all wanted him to be. Stephens didn't misplace that many passes, and he and Hollands anchored the midfield well. Kermorgant really should have scored in the first half, and wasn't quite as dominant in the air as usual, but is nonetheless more than good enough for this league.

Two things concern me though: 1) As today showed, in this league we need to convert the chances we create, or we will get punished. 2) Bringing on Taylor for Jackson really wasn't necessary, and it's not the first time Powell has done this. I'm not blaming Taylor for the goal, but why change the system which had worked for 90 minutes?

Nonetheless, I am one proud Addick tonight.

11. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

I posted that after the Orient match. No-one seems to suggest that the change played any part in conceding today, but it still seems a silly thing to do, especially as it was not particularly successful last season. It is almost as if CP feels guilty for leaving Taylor out and wants him to share in the glory.

Holland played 120 minutes on Tuesday (because of CP's poor use of subs) and is behind the others with his pre-season conditioning. Not surprised he got tired. Of course he should have been subbed. The problem is there is no obvious replacement. Maybe Wilson with Pritchard switching inside. We need another midfield tackler. Where's Daryl Russell when you need him?

I am delighted with a point and our display though.

And as no-one has yet answered All-Hell's question, I can tell him "Yes, definitely."

12. Whats up Doc

Whats up Doc Well-Known Member

Going to echo what's been said, so proud of the lads today, that was one hell of a performance, deserved 3 points, absolutely gutted when they scored but as has been said, I'd have taken 1-1 before kick off.

Special mentions for Hamer, Cort and Jackson, brilliant.

Optimistic for the season, decent start.

13. Whats up Doc

Whats up Doc Well-Known Member

Finally, she said no Marlon, she said no

14. CAFCAlex

CAFCAlex Member

Ohhhh Marlon, she said No.

15. IA

IA Active Member

Thought we deserved the win. Apart from a spell early in the second half, we were the better team throughout.

One thing though, this is the same team we had last season, whereas Birmingham and others will have made a lot of changes. Obviously Powell put a lot of the 'gelling' theories to bed last season, but there is something to be said for a settled team and momentum.

Some thoughts

Someone in the queue for tickets outside St Andrews should've said 'away fans cash at the turnstile only'. After queueing for 40 mins, I then had to run to the shopping centre to get cash because they wouldn't sell me a ticket for anywhere.

Birmingham fans are not happy with their club.

Solly and Wiggins still look a class above this level.

Hamer was up against a man who played for England mid-week and didn't look out of place.

We need to take our chances. We were good at this last season (eg 4 shots, 4 goals at Hartlepool), but at this level it's even more important to be clinical. 2-0 at half time would not have been hugely unreasonable.

Our first 11 is good enough to challenge at this level, but our opponents will have a stronger bench. Birmingham had Redmond and Zigic to make a difference. This will also affect us when players get injured.

I don't understand the Taylor substitution. When he came on, he seemed to be taking up a midfield position, which doesn't suit him. I'm not going to blame him for the goal, but maybe the sub should've been someone who could hold up the ball. Something for Powell to think about.

I hate sexual assault 'banter' almost as much as I hated rape 'banter' last season.

Home fans were really quiet, which surprised me. I'm sure they'll be different when they come to the Valley.

Loved Cort's celebrations

I think that's 15,623 matches in a row without a defeat for Lee Clark as manager.

16. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

In his head most certainly <ok> None of his teams deserve to lose do they?

17. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Only one game gone and already we're top S.E. London team!

18. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

Love it lee Clark is a complete dickhead and boring as hell

19. IA

IA Active Member

Just noticed this.

Why would you follow Piers Morgan??

20. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

ah yes! I also don't like celery <ok>