1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Are we gng to have a Brum thread?

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by deleted....., Aug 17, 2012.

1. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

Had a terrific day at Brum. I've always enjoyed their stadium, but the away end is better than ever. It is always nice to have a smoke at half-time - when possible. They have very decent staff and stewards and the atmosphere our away support created was fantastic. We blew them away on and off the pitch.

It was a fine performance from the lads and we should be proud of the effort put in by all. CP needs to learn from his mistakes, though, and quickly.

Hollands was the standout performer for me. His energy levels are quite supreme. He was quietly efficient, solid in the tackle and always looking for the simple and effective pass. He will be a key cog in our side this year and I am confident he will step up to the higher level with ease.

Morro, Wiggins, JJ and Hamer were class acts as well. They will thrive on the standard of the Championship and we can be confident of fielding a competitive and poised side in all of our matches.

Solly did well to shackle Ambrose, but his passing was a bit awry at times. This will improve for sure.

Cort looked nervous on the ball, but I still feel he is a better bet than Taylor - for now.

I wish young Dale would have a pop when the gap opens up. We know he can shoot, and BWP will lap up the loose-ends should they fall.

I can't really fault Kermit, but I wish he would stop drifting out to the wings. He could and would have connected with some great crosses yesterday.

Pritchard worked tirelessly, but will he step up to this level comfortably? I'm not so sure.

Anyway, two wins to follow against Leicester and Hull will salve our disappointment from yesterday.

COYR!

2. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

I am glad you had a good day out Ponders, and many thanks to you and all our posters who travelled and reported back to us. The consensus is that we played very well.

Nice to find another Hollands fan. I think he doesn't get the credit he deserves. I expected him to be my player of the season last year. How was I to know his wife would have those triplets, that Solly would blossom so quickly, or that Kermit would sneak into the club at the last minute and become a superhero?

But we do need some cover for him as has been shown in the last few matches. Andy Hughes would be alright to bring on to protect a lead, but what if we need to chaase the game, or if Hughes has ongoing fitness problems? The other issue is that Hughes might not be versatile enough to even make the bench. Six subs to cover ten outfield positions and he can really only play defensive midfield. That is why I think we will sign Daryl Russell if we cannot sign someone better or younger.

Our promotion came a year too soon for him. He would by now be very good at League One level. Big stretch to go from tier 6 to tier 2 in one year. We are weak in that RM position. Green, Wagstaff, Haynes, and Pritchard all lack something or other. If we don't sign someone better I can see Lawrie Wilson filling that spot for away matches and for tough home games. I am sure he wasn't signed just to be back-up to Solly.

I think we will lose to Leicester. I think the following players will tire in the second half for different reasons: Cort and Holland because they have been asked to do too much too soon in the season, Jackson because he has to nurse his fitness, Stephens and Pritchard because they lack positional sense and run around too much, and BWP because he has to run around a lot and get battered by giant CBs and is usually (and rightly) subbed. And only three of them can be subbed.

Leicester had a relatively easy game on Saturday and will be fresher and with a strong bench.

I hope I am wrong.

3. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

Thank you for referencing my points, eddie. You never fail to put across a balanced and well reasoned argument.

I'm not so sure about Leicester. I don't think they will be as strong as others think. We have an energy, a verve and and a passing style that will tire them quickly and allow us to get dangerous balls into the box with regularity. I can see us beating them.

However, I also fear the lack of creativity within the midfield. We have tireless, fearless players who can win the ball and get it forward with pace. Will this be enough, though? Not with Pritchard and Jackson holding the wide berths. It will work well away from home, but at The Valley I want to see Haynes or Waggy out wide.

Only time will tell...

4. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

I so hope you are right. But if we can draw away at Birmingham (and perhaps deserve to win) and can beat Leicester, who else do we have to be frightened of? Premiership here we come!

5. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

I'm a massive Danny Hollands fan. A CM that can do a bit of everything.

It would be amazing if we could get somebody else like him.