1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Are we in the ****e?

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Mexican Hornet, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

So, I know it is early days and all. But, given the run at the end of last season and the start to this one. It has become more and more evident that we can't score enough to overcome our terrible defending. This is not a recipe for a good points total nor goal difference. With all the respect to the opposition so far this season we should aim to be around them and have been done over three times.

Javi doesn't seem to have sorted out (m)any of these issues and if our hopes are pinned on Welbeck and Sarr it is a bit of a worry.

I'd like Javi to be given more time, but doubt the owners will give him that.

Are we in the ****e?

Taking into the run at the end of last season and the start to this one, I say yes we are. However, we have time and at least there was a bit of spirit and desire on show in the last two games despite the lack of quality.

What do you lot reckon?

Scullion likes this.
  2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No. I do believe that Kiko is not up to the role of full back. He gets forward but is slow at getting back. Today there were large open spaces where he should have been. I am still not sure about the Cathcart/Dawson pairing. Two good players as individuals, but as a pairing I have doubts. We are going out to score goals and win, but the balance is not quite right at present. I have never been a fan of Gray, even before he joined us. He works hard, but is far from a complete player. Welbeck and Sarr have only just joined, so far too soon to see what impact they will make.

andytoprankin likes this.
  3. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Poor in both areas ATM so yes .

Improvements needed and 3 points at Newcastle!

4. Yes we are. I was massively pissed off today - when someone doesn't hold their hand up to take a corner and it's eventually done at walking pace and for times they act like it's a testimonial I really fear the worst. Don't get me wrong - there were good bits but massively outweighed by the bad.

5. Markthehorn

One corner was taken right back to the half way line !

6. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Total *******

7. Mexican Hornet

Other teams know how to exploit us now unless Javi changes things.

I thought Dawson might be allright, but after watching the games so far he is as good as the rest of our CBs.

If we lose to Newcastle, then it's more bad news - we have Arsenal and Citehhhh after.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  8. Flittonhorn

Flittonhorn Well-Known Member

Newcastle have just picked up a bonus three points today. Even after just three games the table does not lie. We are the worst team in the league so far, next game is already a six pointer!!!!!!!!

9. yorkshirehornet

I can't see Javi staying post Newcastle if we don't get a result there...
    Defensively we continue to be vulnerable... Almost wooden in the RHS. (not a gardening metaphor BTW).

Serious sh@t....

10. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

We may be in a slightly precarious position in the richest league on the planet, but we cannot consider we are in the S***E unless we end up with another owner like Bassini and are in the position that Luton were in 10 years ago and Bolton and Bury are in now
    FFS get real

11. <laugh> you may have lost two legs but what about those who also lost both arms. The question was quite clearly based around whether we stay up or not and on that basis we are in the ****e.

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Last season West Ham had no points after four games and still finished above us. Far too early to start sounding the alarm bells I reckon.

13. Mexican Hornet

Yeah, early days but signs are not very good at all. That is for sure.

Deleted....... likes this.
  14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

15. duggie2000

Burnley and Newcastle were in an even worse position last season and survived
    Would you sooner be in our version of S***E or Bolton/Bury's
    It is too early to panic yet
    Man United and Spurs judged on their top six status and pre season expectations are also considered to be in the S***E
    In the season we reached the FA Cup Final under GT we had a disastrous start but finished tenth and reached the FA Cup Final
    The following season was an even worse start but buying McClelland changed all of that
    The defence needs tweaking and a couple of changes to personnel would not hurt
    Dawson is not the answer we hoped for because he doesn't blend well with Cathcart
    Doucourie is a shadow of his former self, time for Challabah or Quina to shine maybe
    Deeney,s injury does not help, but we cannot expect him to be a worse for much longer
    Time for the youngsters to be blooded and get some young hungry players on the pitch
    All that aside id is our worst ever stat to any Prem season lessons to be learned all round and fast

16. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

My concern is that our disastrous start is on the back of our shortest ever pre season. Have we ever played only 4 pre season matches before ? And that with one of the biggest squads in the Premiership (if not the biggest). You need a couple of matches to get all your squad match fit and the rest to bond your potential first team together - nearly all other Premiership teams started their pre season earlier than us and played more matches than us - why was that ? And why do we insist on getting players in at the last minute ? The rule of thumb is to do your business early so that new additions have the benefit of a pre season with the squad. In short we were not up and running for the season opener and questions need to be asked as to why. I actually feel that the size of our squad may be a disadvantage - for continental clubs it isn't a problem because they often have a B side which plays regular football in a lower league. Keeping about 35 players all match fit under the present circumstances must be difficult.

andytoprankin and Deleted....... like this.
  17. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

From what i understand our lovely javi was sacked in Russia for being stubborn and not changing what wasn't working. Also for constantly using his favourites and not using the squad. I believe he hasn't learned from that and also think he has till the weekend. Lose against Coventry, Newcastle or worse, both and he'll be gone. Such a shame but that's football.

18. yorkshirehornet

Yes.. I think we have to change.. Our tactics have made us very vulnerable at the back. And if goals are not coming we have to be watertight at the back...

19. duggie2000

Message to Dan Starkey
    In the main forums when the fans of all the clubs predict the seasons final positions every supporter predicted us to finish a comfortable mid table with one exception, a Watford supporter. how does that feel now Dan
    Or was that a joke like the one you made about what would be worse losing both legs or both arms
    Even the worst poster on the main forum would not have come up with that one
    I am surprised the PC zealots on here did not even mention that comment, SH would have been banned or at least threatened with it

20. Markthehorn

Where did have us to finish ?

Might be right if he said near the bottom ?!

Deleted....... likes this.