1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Argyle v Middlesborough...Friendly.

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cooper, Wilson, Scarr, Gillesphey, Edwards, Camara, Houghton, Mayor, Grant, Ennis, Jephcott.

Subs
    McCormick, Hardie, Randell, Galloway, Rutherford, Law, Waruih, Craske, Pursall, Mitchell, Tomlinson Shirley.

Does McCormick being on the bench mean that Burton is injured.

12 subs... a lot of them being youngsters.

2. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-1...H/T

Strong robust team that looked quicker thinking at times than Argyle.....scored alarmingly easy in the 15 minute...I think they said Crooks was the scorer.

Quicker game than the Swansea match and our defence just need to up their game against a top ten championship team.

Still no match clock and we weren't told on screen anything other than the score.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-2...F/T

Good hard game....some yellow card valued fouls by Middlesborough.....but the Ref didn't use his card.

So many changes in the last 15 minutes by both sides meant you had no idea who was playing.

Argyle coped well....but there one big failure was giving the ball away and to many slack passes.

Surprised Cooper was allowed to play with literally the same coloured kit as Middlesborough.

Better defence than last year....but caught out now and again by the Championship side.

Good header from Gillesphey for the equalizer....and Argyle pressed well for the next ten minutes,

Just to many fouls allowed by Middlesborough and some nasty clashes.

My main worry is that Mayor looks the same as last season....and is becoming a bit of a luxury....just no end product at all....we need to strengthen in this area.

Edwards brought a player down who beat him for pace with literally a rugby tackle on the edge of the box.

But overall a good work out for probably at least 40 players.....only the keepers stayed on for the whole match.

My main worry is Mayor....he has no end product and is becoming a luxury and we need to strengthen in this area.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wife's birthday today so no chance of me watching any of this game.

The Mayor problem must be really serious as you said it twice. I am going to keep saying this until I'm blue in the face, I pay my money to watch players like Mayor and I would rather him playing for us in League one than against. Anyway not disgraced with a 2 - 1 defeat to them. Sounds as if the defence has bucked up this term so onwards and upwards to the season start.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Impressed with the possibility of Argyle TV....good quality picture all the time....never a moment when the picture dropped out.....just shows what utter crap ifollow was last season.....continually losing the picture and having to reload.....and inevitiably missing a goal etc.

One problem was that the sound level dropped in the second half......the pre match and half-time chat was okay and the sound level was excellent.....but the moment we went back to the commentator you could hardly hear him ....I checked my sound level and was already on 100% volume.

When they give us a clock and show us who scores and what time the scores are then the game will be more enjoyable.

It is a pity that the commentator is on the opposite side of the ground to the main camera......he doesn't see the same action as we're seeing....and the commentary can become difficult to marry up with what we are actually seeing.

Clarification of the scorer and time of the goal could help at the moment.....or is it that the commentator has no more info than we have.

We will be going back to only three subs when the season starts proper.....todays subbing in the latter parts of the match was more like walking down the high street and not being told each person that passed you by......the commentator couldn't cope and the match officials gave up in the end....because it would have added another 5 minutes to the game....Neil Warnock could be seen suggesting that officials didn't bother.