1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Argyle v Swansea City (Friendly)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by notDistantGreen, Jul 20, 2021.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Cooper, Wilson, Scarr, Galloway, Edwards, Grant, Randell, Mayor, Law, Hardie, Ennis.

Subs.
    Burton, Gillesphey, Houghton, Camara, Jephcott, Craske, Tomlinson, Shirley.

Law and Randell in from the start.....Galloway in....so has he got a contract.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Argyle...0-2...Swansea....H/T.

No sub-titles to help with who scored.....the commentators volume quite low although I've got it up to a 100% on computer.

Argyle have looked quite lively at times in attack but poor finishing hasn't helped.

Swansea playing within themselves and were helped by a poor touch in our half by Mayor resulting in a good shot to make iot 0-1......the defence at times have not looked to sound.

Swansea made it 0-2 with a shot that came off one of their own players to score.

Good picture quality....but no goal scorers....no sub-title.....and a match clock would help.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Argyle...1-2...Swansea.

Missed the start of the second half.....and of course I missed Argyle's goal.....although there was replays of certain incidents....not once did they show us the goal.

We definately need some graphics so you know who scored and when....and a match clock would help.....I hope things will improve when the season starts.

Swansea did what was necessary and Argyle had chances to score.....but rather lacking in finishing ability.

So good minutes in " the Tank" as they keep telling us.

Still some work needed in defence....not sure from what I saw who was doing the organizing......Cooper looks okay but he still manages to tonk the ball straight into touch at times.

But they looked okay.....hard to tell how competitive Swansea were being to be to honest....preferred to pass the ball around instead of defence splitting passes.

6. notDistantGreen

Excellent work out against a side who were just 90 minutes from the Premier League last season.

Finally the defence looks like 3 players in an organised group. There wasn't a single moment when I thought "what the **** are they trying to do now?".

Randell and Law were simply outstanding, Edwards and Grant showed their usual steady-eddy competence. Mayor showed he can sell a dummy to Championship defenders as well as to League One players. He shouldn't do it on the edge of his own box though. The three strikers looked lively but spurned chances to score.

Very encouraging.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Found the Hardie goal eventually on the Swansea website......defender missed it and just a tap in required.

8. notDistantGreen

Great move in the build up though.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A surprise in todays paper.....,.,.Steve Cooper has agreed a mutual termination of his contract as head coach of Swansea City...after two years.

The 41 year old is quitting after guiding Swansea to the play-offs in two successive campaigns...amid concerns over the direction of the club......etc...etc.

Crystal Palace had shown interest in appointing Cooper this summer before opting for Patrick Vieira......there had been complications over a £3 million compensation figure written into his contract.

Daily Telegraph Sport 22/07/2021.

I knew there must be a problem at Swansea....them only managing to beat us 2-1 must of been the final straw......fancy only being runner up for two consecutive years to getting into the Premiership......he obviously isn't good enough for the job......I can think of 71 other clubs who might be able to live with such a problem.

10. notDistantGreen

I don't really think a friendly match is likely to have had much bearing on it: there seem to have been divisions over several months fuelled also by rumours of a job offer from Crystal Palace..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57918658

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I was joshing about only winning 2-1 notDistant......but he obviously isn't keen on how the club is moving on.....they have lost some good players.......key players such as Joe Rodon, Oliver Mcburnie, Dan James and also Andre Ayew out of contract and with transfer funds expected to be minimal again this summer and also the possible sale of other coveted players including Matt Grimes.....Cooper has decided the time is right to move on.

12. notDistantGreen

I thought it was odd Cooper wasn't at the game at the time. I know it was just a friendly against League 1 opposition but what's the point playing it if the manager isn't there to see his own players?

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Positive Covid tests at Swansea.....they hav cancelled todays Bristol R match.

Where does that leave Argyle.....testing alround ?

14. notDistantGreen

Terrific. Did anyone notice if they all came out of the proper dressing room entrance or did Swansea come out of the vomitory gate? I noticed the mini tunnel is still in place there.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

If my memory serves me right they walked out last night side by side....up to now the away team had been coming from behind the Barn Park goal.