1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsenal v City

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

If they cared, than they would have a long time ago. Decent managerial candidates have come and gone. And we are getting steadily worse.

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yep

3. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I think they honestly bought into the fact that wenger still thought he could turn it around. True that we've missed out on managers during that time. But I sincerely hope that the board are lining up replacements now. Wenger's position is untenable, he won't walk so they have to act. Apparently they had Jardim lined up this summer, but Wenger signed a two year extension. Let's hope that they are speaking to Jardim now about coming in this summer.

4. Krome

Krome Well-Known Member

I don't think even Cini could have predicted we'd be quite so bad this season

5. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

It's a strange one, he comes across as being enlightened and sophisticated, but he's like all the rest, desperately clinging onto power like a dictator. How can he not see how much he and Arsenal have declined, unless he is severely deluded. Some people just don't know when to go and need a push at the end. A rather sad end, but it's what happens to people when they don't want to go.

6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Apparently the board are split on Wenger and there are those that want him gone. The problem is that it's come down to Stan Kronke to decide and he's just stuck with what he knows. But having his son over in the UK does look like they are going to look at this more closely now. They simply cannot give Wenger another year and if he doesn't walk, they will have to push him which will be sad. I'm hoping that they make it clear that he either resigns or they sack him, so that he can at least leave with some dignity in tact, he deserves at least that.

7. lazarus20000

Absolutely unforgivable if this was the case. It was clear as day that we've been in declined for a number of years and Wenger no longer knew how to compete at the highest level. They were banking on him scraping into the CL this season, but they were so foolish in banking on a past it Wenger going up against fresher and better managers.

8. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

The thought of one more year with this manger depresses me. I’m really really hoping the board part ways with him this summer - For the sake of fans mental health.

PINKIE likes this.
  9. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

No chance in hell we're winning the Europa league either. So forget about it. Our only chance to qualify for the CL.

10. lazarus20000

w
    Let's be honest, they really only care about CL qualification and i bet they would offer him another contract extension if we somehow managed to scrape into the top 4. The evidence of our clear decline in the CL should have prompted the management to react, but they couldn't give two sh1ts unless they get CL money. Had they not been so shortsighted, we wouldn't need such a big rebuilding project ahead of us now.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

True, and in hindsight they should have acted earlier. But hopefully two seasons out of the CL will prompt them to arrest the decline.

12. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, do we really want to be in the CL next season? I'm not sure. I see little point in taking part in a competition if there's no long term vision to win it. Or in the case of the smaller clubs to build their fan base and earn money. All we do is get hammered by someone higher up in the food chain and go nowhere.

13. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

a lot of the big teams in Europe have gone through major transitional phases:

AC milan currently
    Bayern ca. 2006
    Juventus during their relegation years ca. 2006
    PSG before they dug for oil.
    United after Fergie left.

So it can happen to anyone - ebbs and flows and all that. Its about stopping the rot and coming back. Getting a new manager and then signing some proper defensive players, and accordingly changing the mentality around the club is not impossible. We really need to act THIS summer though. It needs to start ASAP.

14. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

The very worst thing to happen last night was that I was leading my head to head fantasy football match against my best mate by 10 points going into last night's match. My team had all played and he just had Ederson left. I'd been ribbing him since the weekend saying how I had him beat and that the only way he'd beat me was if Ederson got a clean sheet and a pen save.

Motherfucker.

And to double **** me up, I'd subbed out Ederson for this gameweek and had ribbed him for keeping him in.:headbang:

15. lazarus20000

I am certain that getting a good manager like Anchelotti will stop the rot and put us right back into the mix. Wenger doesn't have a clue anymore and can't identify our problems now. First things first is getting a new DM and CM, quality ones of course. That will give us a massive boost. We already have some very good players but lack a proper core.

16. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

We have the same conversations every season for the last 10 years. I remember posting similar things way back in 2011-12 when we lost to United 8-2. And we have not progressed one iota past that point. We are still as terrible as ever, if not worse.

Quilllogic and PINKIE like this.
  17. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Doesn't look like he's going anywhere reading the news this morning. Pep saying that he's the right man for the job, not sure if he actually believes that or is just wumming us :( The only issue with getting rid of Wenger now is that we'd have Bould in charge until the end of the season. We've still got the Europa league to play for, so the season isn't a complete write off yet. But if we go out to Milan, then Wenger might as well go then.

18. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Once all the CL routes are definitely gone, that is
    the time for an announcement IMHO.

19. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Even if he stays on until the end of the season and we announce that he's going then. It would arrest this toxic atmosphere at the club and allow us to give the man a send of with some dignity.

winifred122 likes this.
  20. lazarus20000

Don't get me wrong i don't hate him or anything or want him out the door now, but he HAS to leave at the end of the season. It would make no sense for him to stay another year. He had a proper go, was given a healthy transfer budget and free rein to do what he wanted but failed. It's time for him to move on, this is life and it's something he has to accept and the Board need to understand. His best days are well behind him now and all he's doing is poisoning his legacy further by stubbornly staying.

As for Pep, he is showing respect towards a manager that he looked up to. After all, Wenger was THE MAN back in the late 90s and early 00s, like Pep is the man now. But everyone knows that Wenger's past it for quite sometime, but they are merely showing him respect.

PINKIE likes this.