1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsenal v City

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 26, 2018.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I think that if Wenger came out and said it was his last season then it would help reduce the toxic environment. It's his stubborn behaviour that is annoying the fans at the moment, it's certainly annoying me. Show some humility and bow out with some self respect. His arrogance has rubbed the fans up the wrong way.

PINKIE likes this.
  2. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I would imagine next Season is partly dependent on who is available manager wise.

But lets be honest the most likley scenario is Wenger will see out his contract. So I still think we have another year of this.

I expect we will sign another CF in the summer, no defensive midfielders, maybe add a small defender who can play as a CB or LB but isnt really great as either.<doh>

3. TheBear

On a side note. This City side is fantastic. I think they may well be the best side in Europe at the minute. (Barca dont look anywhere as strong as they used to, Real Madrid are not having the best of years. Bayern are always strong I guess.)

Guradiola is such a great manager. Maybe one day he'll end up at Arsenal. He does'nt seem to stay anywhere for long.

The thing that impresses me is how hard they work. When they were 3-0 up the defenders were putting in everything not to concede. He really understands how to get the team working together as a unit.

4. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

As ever, after a defeat, this site is full of knee-jerk reaction and vilification of Arsene Wenger. At the start of the season he, like all other premier league managers, signed an agreement to tell their teams to roll over and play dead for Manchester City so's that Pep could win his first English trophies and stop Pedro the Fisherman winning anything. Now you all know that Wenger is a man of principle and won't break a deal, so I say lay-off him, there's not too many like him left in this unprincipled industry. The team will bounce back with an 8-0 drubbing of Brighton, win the Europa and win all our remaining games in the league without conceding a goal, Lacazzette ending up top scorer in the league, and nick 4th place. THEN you'll all be pleading for him to sign a contract extension like the two-faced jessies you all are.

5. TheBear

Hmm..well to be honest even if he does win Europa and ALL remaining games. Most fans will still want him to leave.

But I agree to some extent.

6. lazarus20000

The problem is expecting someone to produce the same thing as when he was in his best years. Fergie deep down knew that it was coming to an end, and let's be honest, his latest team was pretty ordinary compared to all his others. Which makes his PL win and subsequent retirement all the more impressive. Why drag things on when you're clearly not going to be anywhere near as good as you once was? Fergie would have inevitably declined badly if he stayed, but he thought better of it.

Wenger is a shadow of his former self, he simply cannot compete with the new crop of managers. What's really exposed him is the amount of top quality managers that have come to the PL at the same time. 6th best team and 6th best manager is a fair reflection of Arsenal and Wenger right now. But i'm being generous giving him 6th best manager, he has a huge budget and world class players at his disposal, which is something that teams lower than him don't have. So he really is ranked much lower than 6th in the PL right now.

Shwan71 likes this.
  7. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

I agree and disagree
    let us not forget how he struggled last season till he bought players he want at really expensive prices .. his football style 100% work, but you need to have world class players and some other players who are as good to assist the team . the only club swho can afford those type of players are Barca, Real, City and PSG
    don't get me wrong his Barca side was best I ever seen and now this City team too .. his style definitely work but it comes with a big price tag.
    not sure even UTD can afford that.
    meanwhile regarding him coming to Arsenal , I don't think you can afford his football price tag

8. TheBear

To play an attacking system at the highest level, in the modern game against managers like Mourinho or Simeone you need World Class attacking players. Pep knows who to buy, how to drill them and how to get the players he has playing his way.

Its a real talent.

lazarus20000 likes this.
  9. lazarus20000

You talk like Man U have sh1t players. You have more than good enough players to compete and play much better football than you currently do. Also, do the teams you mention really have players that are so much better? I don't think so.

You have a fantastic front line on paper - Sanchez, Lukaku, Martial and Rashford. With a top quality midfield of Pogba, Mata, Matic etc. No way you can't compete with City. The problem is you have a Manager who can't get you playing well, the buck stops with him, same as it stops with Wenger for us.

Citizen Kane and winifred122 like this.
  10. lazarus20000

The same way Wenger once did. But the evidence is there that he no longer has it when he's bringing in top class attacking players and it's making little difference. I like many others thought that he could turn back the clock once he had money to spend, how wrong was I. Even with top class attacking talent like Auba, Mikhi, Laca and Ozil, we've looked dreadful. Give Pep our players and I'm certain we would have a better outcome.