1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsenal

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by brb, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

A wage cap would help, but it’s a bit late for that now. The best way to narrow the gap imo would be to spread some of the TV money down the divisions, but I don’t see that happening any time soon either. The PL broke away from the Football League precisely because the richest clubs wanted to get richer on their own and **** everyone else.

That’s capitalism btw - it kills the soul, and destroys everything it touches.

Did I read the other day that Southend are going bust? The game’s awash with money, and small town clubs are going to the wall. Still, we live in one of the richest countries in the world, and people are using food banks, so I shouldn’t be surprised.

Munson. and brb like this.
  2. brb

brb CR250

Yeah there were financial problems at Southend, although I don't know the detail or if the problems have been resolved. They've only got six points in the league this season. This is probably one of the worst League One's I have ever known, I joked when my club were near the drop zone, that you really are the worst of the worst if you go down. Bury kicked out the league, Bolton were on something like -12 points, and obviously the problems at Roots Hall. There is no stand out team in the league this season, unless we want to count Ipswich! So technically when the season started with four relegation places, three of them were already filled; Bury, Bolton, Southend. I watched the government enquiry into Bury, and the responses were a joke, basically no one in the footballing bodies gave a shhite. The FA didn't actually have any contact with Bury, until they had already fallen through the trap-door, because they are not obliged to.

Archers Road likes this.
  3. Archers Road

I remember me and a mate bumping into Bobby Moore at Southend Station after we’d been to a game there, when Bobby was their manager. They’d lost and he was a bit depressed but he still wanted to talk about football.

brb likes this.
  4. BobbyD

BobbyD President

If that ever happened all the owners of the club's will be loving it. Same tv money but far less on expenses. Great news for kroenke

brb likes this.
  5. brb

brb CR250

Exactly mate, reminds me of my childhood, our keeper Ron Hillyard always used to see him when he was going for the train home, and always had time for the fans. The players back then were like us, just trying to make ends meet.

Archers Road likes this.
  6. Archers Road

When Saints won the FA Cup in 1976, Mick Channon, Peter Osgood, Bobby Stokes and a few others took the trophy out with them on a pub crawl of the city. At one point they pulled up at a burger van in town, filled the cup with tea, and passed it round the queuing punters. That don't happen no more.

7. brb

brb CR250

Some big names there mate. I often think I've fallen out of love with football, and remember the past with great fondness, yeah it had it's bad side we all know that, but there was many good aspects as well that you highlight. The problem was there were certain papers, such as the Malice that had agenda's against football supporters, and they always only highlighted the bad stuff, often out of context, but rarely promoted the good stuff that I often saw on the terraces. Today it's a crime to enter the field of play, back in the day, it was just a young kid celebrating their teams win.

Archers Road likes this.
  8. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Tbf back then you probably didnt have twats going onto the field to attack players or do something stupid trying to make a big name for themselves, especially with that social media **** and trying to get views

9. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

You get in a lot of Taxi’s bro.

FosseFilberto likes this.
  10. Libby

Libby 9-0

Macclesfield will be gone soon as well.

11. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Should've chased him out when he started buying nothing but show-ponies when it was clear they needed a work-horse or 2.