1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Art & Literature

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beddy, Nov 26, 2019.

1. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Lets put it to a vote similar to the music thread. That would be democracy in action. People power!

davecg69 and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  2. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

It certainly is a football forum and far more enjoyable than I could ever have imagined. I really have come to love being here and have been amazed at the depth of knowledge, social awareness and humour displayed by people.

Politics, Music and Literature are three cornerstones of our lives. It's not like they are random subjects, and I have been encouraged to think about things differently, listened to music I didn't know about, and will undoubtedly read books that I was unaware of. That has to be a great thing and along with Southampton FC, these things bind us closer together, enrich our lives and give us the ability to share on a deeper level.

Literature enhances all of our lives and enables us to have a deeper understanding of the world we live in and a window into the lives, loves, beliefs and struggles of the people we share this planet with. That can only be a good thing.

You are a staff member and you get to make the decisions but for me, this thread definitely does deserve to be a sticky.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  3. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Well said Kaito "Politics, Music and Literature are three cornerstones of our lives". absolutely right the thread has certainly moved me back to the printed word. Let's get it stickied, please.

4. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

I for one can’t stand cricket ....hence I don’t visit that thread, and I am sure there are those who dislike politics and stay away from that one.

5. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

I don't see an issue - if you aren't interested in a subject, ignore it.

6. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Ok peeps . I was just making a suggestion :)

7. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Two sets of rules.

I have stuck by what I thought was the spirit of the forum. Football mainly with other off topics occasionally “granted permission” to be started. Many have had threads stopped for being off topic, which is why I questioned why Beddy should be allowed to stick his thread at the top of the page (particularly in light of his earlier comment about not wanting this to become a General Topic forum).

I have said about the politics and music thread not being stickied when they started and just try to stay consistent to that “rule”

Start a thread and then leave it in the normal listing and it will stay up there if people post in it.

I remember someone starting a Wimbledon thread and it being stopped.

We have Ralph's for off topic and there was a massive discussion and debate about even having an off topic thread at all.

If this is the way to go, then let anyone start any thread on any topic, don’t be selective.

This is written as someone who enjoys this thread, the music thread and occasions the politics thread, so no bitterness. Just think it’s double standards.

Libby and Schrodinger's Cat like this.
  8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Oh... and power to the people

0AA25DD8-7267-42CF-A454-5F93D75647C0.jpeg

Archers Road, StJabbo1, Libby and 4 others like this.
  9. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Does reading one of Ian's novel length posts on here count?

If so he is my favourite author

10. Schrodinger's Cat

I liked his early work featuring "The Frenchman" :emoticon-0102-bigsm

11. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Nearly Forgot .

Douglas Adam's.

HHGTTG .

Brilliant . Enjoyed the tv series as well and the film . Preferred the TV version .

Shame he didn't live to see the film.made .

davecg69 likes this.
  12. Saintmagic

Yes the classic literary villain.

In all seriousness I can only think of one book I have ever finished reading, and that must’ve been in my early teens. Never really “got” reading.

I still remember the look of annoyance on my GCSE English teachers face when I told him a couple of days before the exam that I hadn’t read any of the books the exam was on. I’d made all the notes in my copies that he had talked about in class and decided that I could just wing it based on that. He told me to watch the movies before the exam and cross my fingers, top teaching

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  13. Schrodinger's Cat

I grew up in a household full of books but not a lot of money so my folks encouraged me to read for pleasure. Have always loved a good book, but that's understandable really.
    I started school aged 3 so had a headstart on a lot of kids and was reading at an adult level before I got anywhere near secondary school which meant that teachers couldn't teach it out of me.

14. Saintmagic

Yeah that’s fair enough, I just don’t have the attention span I think. Think I’m a product of that “want everything now” generation the older people love so much.

I struggle to even watch a film now without reading the plot on Wikipedia to find out what happens 10 minutes into the film

15. Schrodinger's Cat

To be honest Saintmagic, it was the older generation that has allowed it to happen like that, plus you had many more alternatives to a good book that I did when I was growing up.

16. Libby

Libby 9-0

So 3/4 people (in private) decide what OT threads are worthy?

Again I've no issue with this thread, and I'm not stirring **** as you mention elsewhere either. I simply asked for clarification about OT threads as this goes against what we were previously told. That's all.

fatletiss likes this.
  17. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Read it many years ago - I should revisit it. Absolutely heartbreaking as you say and still extremely relevant today.

18. davecg69

ooh - a favourite food thread!! You’ll have Fran and me signing up for that, Fats! :emoticon-0103-cool:

fatletiss likes this.
  19. Libby

Libby 9-0

Who's getting in a kerfuffle? Pretty sure you just made that up.

Go read my posts again mate, I didn't ask for it be closed, or even be unstickied. I've got no issues with it though I doubt I'll use it much as I mainly read non fiction.

I just politely asked if I could have clarification on OT threads as they're something I enjoy... And all 3 of my posts were ignored before being told I should leave the forum.

20. davecg69

If that Caroline Nokes gets back in, I’m going to start a “Popular Front for the Liberation of Romsey” - I have the beret but me Mum made me throw out the Afghan when I was 18 - she said it stank the house out :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Sorry - should this be in the Political thread? :emoticon-0103-cool:

PS - Fats, I watched the pilot prog of Citizen Smith the other night. Still makes me giggle :emoticon-0102-bigsm

fatletiss likes this.