1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arteta

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by bobo_97, Dec 18, 2019.

1. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Truthfully, and I know some may not agree, but I just don't see a place for both Lacazette and Aubameyang in the starting XI. We've moved our best striker on the left wing to accommodate Lacazette, who not only isn't scoring, but isn't holding-up play, isn't linking-play, isn't creating space for others, isn't stretching defences and is slowing us down in transition.

Even when he wasn't performing this badly, you can see that we do not look balanced with both strikers in our line-up.

They both have different attributes which make them unique, but this shoehorning of players has to stop. We need players who complement the system Arteta wants and will increase our chances of winning football matches.

We would be so much more effective if we had Aubameyang as our CF and two natural wide players (either wingers or wide-forwards) to give us natural width/attacking threat from wide areas. Which means there's no room for Lacazette to start. And he isn't going to accept a role on the bench.

Depending on what happens with Aubameyang in the Summer, if a bid of £50m+ arrives for Lacazette, we should seriously be thinking about it.

NLDISRED likes this.
  2. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Aubameyang will leave in the summer, so we will end up keeping Lacazette, if not just to keep some sort of continuity.

I think Martinelli and Nketiah are our future strike force, and I think both of them will be able to step up when the time comes.

3. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Why so negative?

He may - he may not.

I think we will sell a good few players to free up wages whioch should allow Arteta to really build a side based on his own vision. We have Saliba joining already as well - who looks absolutely class.

4. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

i think when players get into the last year of their contracts, the chances of them signing a new one are remote. Why else would he not have signed on already?

Auba is 30 and probably would want to test himself at a higher level with a team that looks like they’ll be able to win trophies. This will probably be his last contract after all.

On if he leaves: I actually would prefer to pocket a large transfer fee for him than have him sign on. I don’t think Auba really fits into our system; he’s a really good player but I don’t think the squad we have showcase his best talents. And also again, he’s 30.

5. TheBear

I agree if things continued the same way as earlier in the Season he will want to leave but Arteta and his current project may be enough to get him to stay. We have alot of young players who are only getting better on top of that you can expect incomings this summer.

On top of that we've already heard from Ozil, Leno and Lacazette saying they feel happier under Arteta's leadership. The team spirit looks better from the outside.

So i think these things come into account.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  6. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

He's played about 9 games this season. Missed the vast majority of it with various injuries. Certainly has potential but surely far too early to be making such a confident assessment? Especially for a player coming from a vastly inferior league?

7. TheBear

His playing time this Season has only been reduced due to injury. He's come back straight into the side and been arguably their best player.

He's 6'4, powerful and can play.

There's an unusual air of assurance about him for a player so young. Good in the air, impossible to move off the ball and can play a long pass. Reminds me a little of VVD at Celtic.

It's easy to get carried away with a few good performances from a young player - but this is'nt that. The guy just oozes class.

8. AndyI

AndyI Well-Known Member

If he gets the chance to go to Barca, he's gone in a heartrbeat.

He's currently making all the right noises but so he should, he doesn't want to upset the fans.

His attitude is fine and i'm sure he'll give his all towards improving the league position and trying to win the Europa.

If Arsenal can get CL football somehow and Barca don't come in for him, he might stay but i wouldn't put my money on it.