1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Article: 3.40 Bangor-on-Dee Ostland (NAP) | Horse Racing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Not606 News Team, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Not606 News Team

Charlie Longsdon's prolific gelding get's a confident nap vote today, not only because he has racked up a hat-trick and looks capable of more, but also because his opponents look eminently beatable for one reason or another.

Ostland had both Postmaster (7lbs pull for 15 lengths and since disappointed over hurdles) and Midnight Gold (pulled up) behind on his latest victory and I see no reason for either to reverse the form today.

Jonjo's horse Sea Wall still looks a touch high in the weights but rates the biggest danger dropping back in trip. Culahill I think is still coming to terms with his 114 rating and will again struggle. Star Beat has plenty of weight and a long absence to overcome, and Solway Bay is up 9lbs for his win last time when receiving plenty of weight from Sun Tzu. Soulard's form when with Tom George would give him a squeak but his new trainer has not yet found the key.

Ostland was a fairly moderate hurdler, his best novice performance over the smaller obstacles probably being his 3rd to Cheshire Prince (Osric in behind) but he didn't really go on from there, possibly due to the fact that he looks a lot more comfortable on summer ground. His last run over hurdles at Cheltenham in April on good ground was a decent 4th in a Class 2 handicap and connections clearly decided that chasing would be his game.

Ostland's first chase appearance was in May at Fontwell (gd/fm, 2m6f) where he scored a bloodless victory over Straw Bear by 25 lengths. He then went to a very similar race at Towcester and was sent off the 4/5 fav. However he was made to work all the way to the line by Arkose (subsequently ran a very good 2nd to Earth Planet) and also had subsequent easy winner Cat Six in behind.

Ostland then made his handicap debut off a mark of 128 at Market Rasen (gd/fm, 2m6f) where he showed a very likeable attitude in giving Henry Daly's Rockiteer 11lbs (that one has not really franked the form since but seems a horse that has either good days or very bad days).

Ostland is up 5lbs for that victory which seems fair enough to me - this is only his 4th start over fences so there should be more to come, and I also think he won a shade cosily last time. At 5/2 he looks a decent bet to me.