1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Article: An interesting question. | Southampton FC, Football.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by lewebster, Aug 20, 2013.

1. AshbySaint

AshbySaint Well-Known Member

Yes but would we have spent a lot of money with Lowe in charge. I think we were bought and Cortèse put in charge because in a good way we were ripe to be bought, and I know we might have been bought by someone else, but not many have done as well as Liebherr I believe

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Hard to compare MLT and SRL. Matty had sublime skill and his goals averted relegation for Saints. Rickie is associated with goals that helped gain us two promotions. There is a different feel to it. I know I worshipped Matty, but I love Rickie.

3. lewebster

lewebster Well-Known Member

Wasn't trying to compare them, it's impossible. Agree with your last sentance, I was a child and Matt was my hero, I had loads of posters of him on my wall but due to Rickies demeanor it is easier to identify with him.

Talent alone does not make a great player.

4. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

I would not change anything. I even enjoyed our relegation season (from the Championship). Given the team we played that year and all the constraints upon us, we still managed to play some fantastic football (apart, that is, from being able to score or defend!!!). More than once on Sky I remember the commentator saying it was like watching Arsenal.

The only thing I really hated was the feeling of real despair during the following summer. However, you can't truly enjoy the highs if you haven't experienced the lows. Any victory to a Saints fan is precious in a way that I doubt it can be to a Man Utd fan.

5. lewebster

I disagree that MLT is way ahead, Lamberts heading ability, both offensively and defensively is far superior, as is his work rate. His fitness levels are also very good.

They share an uncanny penalty taking ability and Rickies free kicks aren't bad either.

They are similar enough to discuss in the same conversation but different enough to just feel lucky that we have had both.

6. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

I'm surprised you phrase it like that. Matty was not only supremely talented but he was as nice as anyone could be given his status at the club. He was at the time a simple guy with his non-WAG wife and family. In many ways maybe similar to Rickie. Maybe it was because you were younger and didn't see that side of him.

7. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I have been a Saints fan for a very long, long time. The kind of journey some of you have witnessed with the club over the last 6/7 years I have experienced several times. Not the financial side of things obviously. While there have been several legends borne over the years... Ted Bates.....Charley Wayman.....Terry Paine.......Davis.......Matt le tiss.........just to name a few. It is always the club that you support that is in the heart. The players come and go .....good ones...some not so good...and some bloody awful. Managers come and go...good ones....some not so good....and some bloody awful ones.......At the end of the day though the club is still the club. For all it's faults.......for all it's ups and downs. It becomes part of you in a sense. When abroad, where news was hard to come by...when there was a chance to catch up with a newspaper that was 3 weeks old...what did I do.....Look for any news of my favourite football club!!
    With modern technology the news is much easier to come by now, but even so to this day when abroad if I seek any news about home, it is always my first task is to find out news about my Saints. You youngsters have yet to experience this. As a true Saints fan the passion never goes.....promise......no matter how the team are actually doing!

8. lewebster

Partly its probably because I was younger as you say, partly due to lack of internet/social media.

Maybe it's just the here and now, they are both legends and we are very lucky to have them both in the Saints family!

9. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I wouldn't change any of it, not one day. That said, I wouldn't want to live through the summer of 2009 again.