1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Article on Bleachers Report

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by lewebster, May 20, 2013.

1. lewebster

lewebster Well-Known Member

2. CBK

CBK Well-Known Member

Do we need to be top 10? We were only 5 points off it this season (and 5 points off relegation) and I expect next season to be similar table wise to this with majority of clubs very close & some adrift at the bottom.

The next step up to 5th to 7th is a massive one considering the clubs we are up against at that level (Spurs, Liverpool, possibly Everton) and that may get you Europa cup football, which we've seen destroys teams without massive squads and almost did for Newcastle.

You can set targets, but simply by getting in players that are better than what you have, in a sensible manner seems the way forward the club will go. We've been lucky so far with lack of big egos in the dressing room, we could now be about to tap into the level of players that expect more than we can deliver, or only want a payday.

3. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Cork hasn't had the impact in CDM? Is that why we were s**t before he came back from injury?

4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Selecting the right player to fit in is important and targeting the right level is important. For me, we got 41 points, so next season should be targeting 50, or 55 or whatever NC thinks is good progress. Finishing in 10th on 46 points may not really be massive progress.

5. pass the football

pass the football Well-Known Member

Yeah that is crazy, it doesn't actually say that though.

6. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

"Cork hasn't had the impact of Schneiderlin offensively or defensively, but has been a steady and calming influence. That said, Cork isn't irreplaceable and if the right opportunity comes along to strengthen the position, Cortese and Pochettino should investigate it."

Well not word for word, I would agree schneiderlin is the better player but to say he hasn't had the impact of him is doing him a great dis-service. No player is truly irreplaceable but this article makes it seem cork is a weak link in midfield. He is not.

7. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

I didn't take it as calling him a weak link, just somewhere we can be improved, which is true. If we sign Wanyama I'd not expect Cork to be one of the automatic names on the team sheet any more.