1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Article: Scunthorpe United V Preston North End | Football

Discussion in 'Preston' started by theflyingplumber, Aug 12, 2011.

1. theflyingplumber

Unfortunately the moderation system wont allow the Club name for the Irons to be posted ?????? so apologies to Irons supporters.

Tomorrow Northend travel to Glanford Park to take on the Irons in their first away game in this new season.

The Irons relegated last season as were PNE will be looking to win their first league game at home, having acheived a creditable draw in their first fixture away at Wycombe Wanderers. The Irons (last season's results apart) have made life difficult for PNE in the past, and no doubt will be attempting to do the same tomorrow.

PNE will be looking to gain their first league win after losing at home to Colchester, and the win at home in the Carling cup should give them the confidence to approach this game with the determination to pick up all three points.
    PNE will probably include their new signing "Juvhel Tsoumou" on the bench which will give Phil Brown options up front. There is also the possibility that Smith the Norwich left back could have joined PNE by tomorrow, but will probably be lacking match fitness to start the game if he has signed. Having said that Alexender was in the same situation when he signed and put in a sterling performance against Colchester.

I am hoping that the manager decides to go with a 442 formation and not the 433 that so far has not worked for PNE, and in my opinion the point was proved against Crewe when he changed the formation in the second half and the Lilywhites looked a different team.
    I have been impressed by how Mellor has responded under Phil Brown since his return from the Owls, and I believe that he will score goals with his work rate showing a distinct improvement. Parry has also responded to the Manager and although having to play out of position he has done well. Parry looks fit and eager to do well and hopefully his injury problems have cleared up. Danny Mayor showed what he is capable of doing when he came on against Crewe and should get a start if PNE play 442. Should Smith have been signed before tomorrows game and selected to play at full back, then PNE could have Parry and Mayor playing as the two wide men.

A tough game in prospect then and it could be an entertaining one with both teams looking for the win.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome.

TFP...:)

2. finneyfan

finneyfan Member

win, win, win
    1-3 cos we can't keep a clean sheet :)

3. theflyingplumber

PNE sign Smith from Norwich City on a free transfer on a 12 month contract with the option of a further 12 months. Could he play tomorrow against the Irons ???? doubtful but you never know.

:)

4. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Have to agree 442 is a must Coutts and Mayor should start

5. markos50

markos50 New Member

Morgan and Carlisle worry me, again we looked wide open on Tuesday. I'll be ok with a draw from this one but hopeful of 3 points......anyway it will be off frozen pitch!

6. themaclad

Wouldn't worry about Morgan won't be playing

7. theflyingplumber

PNE need a WIN to set themselves up for a good season, the Irons could be thereabouts come the end of the season so three points today could be important for PNE.

A PNE win it is then although a very close game in prospect.

8. theflyingplumber

PNE Team and Subs :

PNE: Turner, Carlisle, Hume, Coutts, Proctor, Nicholson, McLean, Parry, Devine, Alexander, Mellor.
    Subs: Arestidou, Tsoumou, Smith, Mayor, Clucas.

The two new signings get a place on the bench.

Scunny Team and subs :
    SCUNNY: Lillis, Wright, Nolan, Togwell, Nelson, O'Connor, Dagnall, Thompson, Reid, Duffy, Barcham.
    Subs: Slocombe, Grant, Collins, Canavan, Godden.

Phil has decided to stick with the 433 formation. Well it hasn't worked so far so maybe third time lucky...<laugh> or maybe not.
    Very disappointed about this formation but Phil Brown is the manager so it's on his head...<laugh>

9. theflyingplumber

Scunny 0 PNE 1

3:12 ....Unbelievable goal from Iain Hume...left foot 25-yards.

10. theflyingplumber

Disaster :

Scunny 1 PNE 1

4:43 Looked clearly offside to me...<steam>

11. theflyingplumber

4:51 FT: Scunny 1 PNE 1

A late S****horpe goal deny Preston their first win of the League One campaign after Iain Hume had put the visitors in front after 13 minutes.

Andy Barcham's goal for the hosts looked offside to everyone in the press area.

Still looking for our first win in Div 1, ah!! well that's how it goes.

12. theflyingplumber

Didn't attend the game so I can only give opinions based on those who did attend including the PNE minute by minute match report, which in fairness tends to be a wee bit biased at times..<laugh>

It seemed like PNE had a very good first half and should have been more than one goal in-front at half time, although the Irons has their chances as well.
    PB stuck with his 433 formation which worked better than on previous occasions, but I am far from convinced it is the best formation for the players we have.
    The second half was similar to the first with PNE perhaps having the better of the chances, that is until about 20 Min's from the end when the Irons decided to push on and get something from the game. PNE had difficulty in coping with the Irons corners and found difficulty in clearing their lines, playing far too deep in defence. PB decided to make substitutions and play 4 5 1 to counteract the Irons threat but in the end the Irons scored the equalising goal with about 4 Min's of normal time left to play. Disappointing to lose two points at the death but credit to the Irons for their fight back.

So PNE are still looking for their first win in Div 1 after two games. Northend played some good stuff in this game particularly in the first half, and once the new additions to the club are match fit and playing the team can settle down/gel and I am confident we will do well.
    I still think PNE lack an enforcer in midfield, for me PNE are very lightweight in this area of the team and opposition players are still being allowed to run at our back four. The midfield needs another Greegan but so do most other teams as well...<laugh>

So then next up and away again at Chesterfield home of the crooked spire, surely PNE can register their first league win there can't they ????? We will see.

Tough luck PNE but well done the Irons..<ok>

13. themaclad

Have not been however class that as a decent point, interesting to note the team, the two new lads have only just joined therefore understandibly didn't play. It's a start we are off the mark. I will be at Chesterfield

14. mykecksaretangerine

mykecksaretangerine New Member

'Win win win' still not coming into fruition, TFP. Awww :)

15. theflyingplumber

Well mykecksareOrange what is it that they say about folk who live in glasshouses............Sheffield Wednesday ????? <laugh><laugh>

Changing tack a little has anyone seen KO this season, heard a rumour he had done a bunk with the Prem loot...<laugh>

The win win wins are around the corner now, mind you it would help if we had to play Bleakpoo...<ok>

Come on be a hero and tell me who you were on 606, have the feeling that you might be one of the........"hesitate to post this" ......but you come across as being one of the more reasonable blokes..<laugh>

16. mykecksaretangerine

My kecks are tangerine man.

The stats do the talking re Sheff Wednesday game, it can happen to anyone when it comes to penalties. Focus is on the Championship now, something you are lovingly no longer any part of. Hey, no offence dude, have a cigar you're gonna go far :D

17. theflyingplumber

Well mykecksareOrange what is it that they say about folk who live in glasshouses............Sheffield Wednesday ????? <laugh><laugh>

Changing tack a little has anyone seen KO this season, heard a rumour he had done a bunk with the Prem loot...<laugh>

The win win wins are around the corner now, mind you it would help if we had to play Bleakpoo...<ok>

Come on be a hero and tell me who you were on 606, have the feeling that you might be one of the........"hesitate to post this" ......but you come across as being one of the more reasonable Lashers..<laugh>

18. mykecksaretangerine

At a loss as to how your playing us would help the likes of PNE! Good day sir, I will be be back with my banter when again you lose, enjoy the third tier. How I remember what you said about us when we were there, but that doesn't apply to you, does it. :D

19. theflyingplumber

Not the hero type then.??????? It will dawn on me sooner or later...<laugh>

20. theflyingplumber

"My kecks are tangerine man"...<laugh>.. Looking at one of your previous comments from the Leeds forum would suggest that one half of your kecks are RED coloured..:)...come on Dude you can only support one team unless you ...... happen to be one of the plastic Bleakoo fans.

Purely out of interest, but could you confirm that the Poolers coach waked out after having his wage reduced, and has now been replaced by a bricklayer from Liverpool with no coaching experience at all...?????...:)

The only stat that matters is the one that tells you who won the game and who is in the next round of the cup...<laugh>...and the stats for that show that to be "THE OWLS."