1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Article: Scunthorpe United V Preston North End | Football

Discussion in 'Preston' started by theflyingplumber, Aug 12, 2011.

1. mykecksaretangerine

mykecksaretangerine New Member

We meet once more, Miss Marple. You are indeed correct sir, I am a Manchester United fan - that comes with being born and living in Stretford (you'll forgive this comment I'm sure since you can imagine how many 'plastic' accusations I've had hurled in my direction for years - from uneducated tosspots no less). I don't put you in that cateogory so you're quite safe. On that, I should say that I have read your posts for at least two years as an avid reader of the then 606. I didn't contribute in case you have some wicked theory about me being Fred or something, haha.

Now, with having nomadic parents (and I use the term loosely) I moved every 6 months or so around the North West. I spent many years at William Temple school and don't mind admitting it was the time of my life (but with parents owning a public house it was of course fun since everybody at WT loved Holsten Pils). I should add that was teenage stuff before you [may] apply it to our friendly banter.

You see, I was always a red, but during these nomadic times we always ended up living in Blackpool.... even when I fled the parental nest I moved to Manchester and came back to Blackpool. Call it conditioning if you will! Now, that is why I developed an affection for the local club and supported a second team. It happens, TFP, it happens. Imagine my blood pressure the last game of the season (EPL). Of course I wanted Blackpool to win since MU's fate was sealed. But weird all the same.

So, as to your 'plastic' assertion - I assert that is childish and scraping the 'bottom of the barrel' which I might add comes as no surprise in your predicament.

Anyway, ma and step pa's pub was called 'Crystals' in Preston, hell, you may even had heard of it on Lancaster road North, opposite 'The Spindlemakers'?

I know absolutely nothing about our coach walking out, but I hope it is not true with the latter of that particular comment in mind. Facts and up-to-date stuff isn't my bag, I have other fish to fry, yet love the passion of the game and doubtlessly the banter and fun.

I agree with your 'stat' comment, but I'm sure you'll agree it often leaves a sour lump in the backs of our throat when 'justice' isn't served!

2. mykecksaretangerine

Just to add, I never saw the day coming of Blackpool Vs Man U. Maybe I should have.

3. theflyingplumber

WOW that is some response mykecksaretangerine :) and a very interesting and enlightening one as well...<ok>
    I did make the point that you come across as a fan out of the ordinary and so it has proved to be.
    You couldn't be FRED even the devil couldn't be Fred..<laugh>..and he is chasing Kiwi's in New Zealand unless he has been shipped out of there for breaking some of their rules.

I thought 606 was great fun and carried some fine contributions posted by some fine contributors. Of course their was some very good banter as well, only marred at times by some over the top examples that could ruin good threads etc. I think that most members were guilty of that at times including myself. But as you correctly point out football is a passionate game and we all get carried away a tad at times..:)..It's perhaps a pity that you didn't take advantage of 606, and post your comments but I know there are many fans who are quite content to read what others have to say. You are well versed with 606 though as your comment about FRED does show.

I dont recollect a pub called "'Crystals'" but I am sure you are right, I do know "'The Spindlemakers' though but I have never been that well acquainted with the pubs realy. I do have a list of every pub that has been located in Preston though, so i will find it and have a look later on..<ok>
    You have moved around a fair bit and so it is easy to understand how you are interested in more than one team, and my reference re plastic fan was banter to be honest.

It is true that the Poolers coach left on the eve of the new season over a reduction in his wages following the Pool relegation, and also true that his replacement is a bricklayer from Liverpool. He is an ex Pool player who was with Pool for many seasons but many Pool fans are not too pleased over losing their first team coach and I dont think the manager is either.

Anyway enjoyed our little meeting..:)..so until PNE lose again take care and see you around..<ok>

:)

4. mykecksaretangerine

Ta TFP.

The pub was called 'Crystals' but more recently (when one drives down and has a look at memory lane) it was called 'The Lancaster' but that was years ago also.

Yep, look forward to more banter on your next loss, hehe ;D

5. theflyingplumber

Had a look at my Pubs in Preston list and I have found a "CRYSTAL PALACE" in Hopwood Sreet and shown as a "Beerhouse only", which doesn't mean anything to me...<laugh>. There was NO "Lancaster" at that time, I have to point out that the list is for Hotel's,Inns and Taverns Licenced in 1898...<laugh><laugh>..I go back a bit myself but contrary to what some people say, I dont go back that far..:)
    There are 389 in total on this list, just about one for every Street..:).

Forgot to ask (not that it is important) but have you got Ginger hair ???...:)

<ok>

:)

6. mykecksaretangerine

No, TFP, stop flirting with me, haha. My hair is brown.

I have no idea what the pub is called now, but it did once exist as 'Crystals' I assure you, hehe. It was a 'Matthew Brown' pub serving Slalom lager (and Slalom D) which at 13 I didn't have a palate for!

7. theflyingplumber

Maybe this is the Lancaster (The Royal Lancaster) you meant, Royal Lancaster, Lancaster Road North Preston. See the link below.

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/lancashire/preston_royallancaster.html

<ok>

8. mykecksaretangerine

Oh I am chuckling here, yes, that's it. Memories. My I want to be 13 again!

Regards

Mid-life crisis @ 35.

9. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

This is turning into a nostalgi thread of pubs which sadly died and these days there are fsar too many pubs which are now memories