1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ashamed of our team

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Bigmackem, Nov 12, 2019.

?

Who are we ??????

1. Failing football club

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Blinkered but amazing fan base

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Zak's Dad

Zak's Dad Active Member

I honestly don't think the line up us the issue mate, we can see when a team 'gives up' and nothing I've seen or heard is telling me we have a squad of players who will so much as 'work hard at the basics for 90 minutes'.

It's not all doom and gloom in terms of league position and the fact that a lot of the defeats have been in Cup competitions, but if the current malaise carries over to league form it will be doom and gloom very quickly.

2. MackemX

MackemX Well-Known Member

It's not as bad as some are making out as it's the League that is the main focus, not the cups that we won't win (well maybe 1 but look what happened last season!). I think now it's League only things will settle and improve and I've just said this over the road so will Thor it here.

It's 4 defeats after 90 mins, 1 on pennas and 1 in ET making it 6. Though 2 of those other 4 were in the league with one being against the top team and another against a decent Shrewsbury team in which we dominated but couldn't find the goal, never mind the net!

please log in to view this image

Shrewsbury lost just 1-0 away to Wycombe the week after us and they dominated Wycombe.

Looking at the WDL alone looks bad but given it was including 5 cup games with team changes left, right and centre, I'm not writing the season off just yet as they mean **** all to the league position end of season. Aye the football has been ****e most of the time but it's League One, not Premier League. We've still got a decent chance to get out the league and now the cup distraction is gone the real test starts now!

Even against Southend we couldn't finish the chances and we had 10 shots at Wycombe but only 1 on target, but at least we're consistent with chances getting over 10 in each of the 4 league games with a total of 61 so averaging 15 chances per game since Parkinson came in!

For me, one obvious problem we have is we are missing a decent goal return striker. It's the shots on target and conversion rate that is ****ing ****e and many fans can now see that Grigg simply isn't interested in showing any effort or commitment, so this doesn't help at all! If Grigg had even 50% of the goal return he last had in this division we'd have a few more points on the board, but he's returned 5 goals in 28 league games, with his single goal this season against Tranmere! Chris Maguire is our top league goalscorer with a goal every 177 minutes this season. Hopefully McNulty gets fit and a decent run in the team and bangs a few in.

Haway the Lads and Keep The Faith! :emoticon-0103-cool:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  3. Zak's Dad

Zak's Dad Active Member

Appreciate the work and the Thor, and my main hope is that this league is famous for everyone being capable of beating everyone so its the consistent teams that get promoted.
    But...
    I'm still kinda flat and angry at the fact that after all of the money spent and wages paid its not the players, the manager, the performances or the results I'm taking hope from - its everyone else hopefully being crap!

4. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Good to see that we are actually creating chances. Obviously we're not converting them but it shows maybe we aren't as far off as all that. Cheered me up a little bit.

5. MackemX

Aye it's been frustrating as **** and many are venting like mad and it's understandable but for me there's still hope. We need to turn this consistent stat 'domination' of league games into goals since Parkinson came in. When your main striker is returning next to **** all and other teams have strikers who are firing then we'll struggle to match them weekly. Aye all other stats mean **** all to the score stat but it's better to be getting decent stats and getting odd results than getting ****e stats and getting **** all! We got beat 1-0 off Wycombe in Parkinson's 1st game and we lost away to Shrewbury who the dominated Wycombe the week after but lost 1-0 like we did. We mainly played ****e against Southend but still couldn't hit a barn door with all the chances we had!

Now the cups are out the way we need the team to be up for it 100% this Saturday against Coventry and start off a decent run with a win and 3 more points!

That's why I shared it as I know we're ****e at times but the other teams will also play dreadful football given it's League One. That's not to say some chances were just wild shots but even so at least it's positive.

What we lack is a consistent goal return for the chances we create. We've obviously missed a Maja player since he left and imagine if we had Gates and Gabbiadini again, we'd be walking this league. In fact just having one of them would be class but when you've got Grigg playing then we may as well play with 10 most of the game!

Aye we're 9th but we've 1 or 2 games in hand against teams above us. If we'd played and won the 2 home games that were postponed we'd be 3rd. Now it's 2 big home games coming up against Coventry and Burton next week and win those 2 and things and moods will change for the better. So for me, the season certainly isn't over like some are saying elsewhere but it's understandable why some may think that way. We just need to keep plodding along picking up decent points and hopefully come January we do well and bring in players to improve the team and help improve results.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  6. Kev Earl

Kev Earl New Member

Just got back from Gillingham game
    0 shots on target in 2 hrs
    No leadership
    No forward line
    No creative midfielder

welcome to Sunderland Phil !!!!!

MKmackem likes this.
  7. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

We seem to have gone backwards since Parkinson arrived. 2 wins in 9, is a shocking return.

This is the worst team we've ever had in our entire history.

LiamO likes this.
  8. MackemX

I agree on the worst team thing but it's not all doom and gloom for me just yet.

9. MKmackem

MKmackem Well-Known Member

It's a pity we cant sack half the lazy ****ers, you would think they would be playing for their futures as a majority of them are out of contract at the end of the season....

10. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

You're not, and imo a decision needs to be made after the Burton game on whether the manager carries the can, as is normal, or we back him and offload the malingerers. Most of them have only got 6 months left on their contract anyway and won't be on astronomical wages. Think Ross will be in for a few of 'his boys', so with any luck, that'll be 3 or 4 gone.
    I can tolerate lack of talent, but I won't put up with lack of effort.

Bigmackem likes this.

11. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

So now we need to offload the malingerers that came to the club in place of the ……….. malingerers?

cumbrianmackem and rooch 3 like this.
  12. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Was just going to say the same Drum.
    Last season everyone was patting Donald on the back for getting rid of our Premiership misfits.
    Now we seem to have bought a new box full of malingerers which seems very coincidental too me.
    Is it just the modern footballer who can't be arsed. Weve had at least seven managers in a row who cannot get these useless bastards who pull the shirt on to at least break into a sweat.
    There is something sadly wrong with the background set up at this club and the regular change in personnel doesn't seem to make any difference.
    Where do we go from here, just wish I knew cos I just don't see Parkinson being able to deliver what we all want.
    For the newbies on this site I have tried to be positive on here despite all the crap that's come our way but think this is almost unfixable.

13. SAFCDRUM

For me its all fine margins. We were arguably one decent striker away from promotion last season.
    We have possibly the poorest strikers in the top half of the division.
    In my opinion, despite that many clean sheets, we have sorted the defence but now cant score. McGeady and Maguire another year older.
    January is absolutely massive. Get recruitment right and we can easily finish top 2/6. Am I convinced the club will get it right? AM I ****.

14. Bank of England 2

No, just sign players (like O'Nein and Dobson), who have the right attitude, and don't think they're too good for this league.
    Do you suggest we persist with the players who have downed tools, in the hope that they'll stop sulking?

clockstander and Blond Bombshell like this.
  15. SAFCDRUM

I was simply pointing out the fickle nature of a football fan. Sadly I don't see enough live games (or even watch the 90 minute match after the event) to comment upon any individual players who people claim to have now 'downed tools'. Who is it you believe is now no longer 'trying' or sulking as you say? After the hat trick people were raving about Maguire. After the Tranmere 5 goals things seemed pretty positive. Doesn't take long for the tide to turn.

16. Bank of England 2

As you say, things were positive after Tranmere, but that eleven haven't played together since. McGuire was very good in that performance, but since McGeady has come back in, his form has dipped alarmingly. Those two along with Jon McLaughlin are MY biggest cause for concern.
    I may be reading too much into things, but the club have recently been singing the praises of the young keeper, Patterson. I just wonder if McLaughlin has indicated he would like to leave.
    There's a lot more than me alarmed at the lack lustre attitude of some of our players, and the 3 above and 1 or 2 others fall into that category.

As I've said previously, I can excuse lack of talent, but not lack of effort. Me and my family will be there on Saturday as usual cheering them on, but just because I'm supporting them doesn't mean I'm not concerned about the recent malaise.

However, after all of the recent cup games, it's easy to forget that Parky has only been in charge of 4 league games (Wycombe, Tranmere, Shrewsbury and Southend), and has a win ratio of 50% in those games. In our two home games, we've scored 6 and conceded none. So hopefully we can come out on top in the coming 2 home games, and bring a smile back to everyone's faces.

rooch 3 and SAFCDRUM like this.
  17. MackemX

Just said that here and this season it's even worse!

https://www.not606.com/threads/our-negative-fanbase.379088/page-3#post-13344879

4 Cup games in last 5 haven't helped as Parkinson has had to chop and change team for various reasons. Now we're out the cups the league is the one and only focus now with 29 games and 87 points to play for.

In the last 4 league games we've created 61 efforts on goal, so averaging 15 per game. We just need to start converting chances better than we have but not having a 1 in 2 (or even 1 in 3) goalscorer doesn't help at all!

Hopefully McNulty gets fit and gets a good run in the team over the next 6 weeks or so and we pull a player or 2 out the bag come January who can strengthen the team overall. Grigg's failure to score enough last season cost us if you look at how his goals contributed towards points. His single goal against Tranmere (the 4th) means that in 15 appearances he's gained us **** all points this season like strikers can! See above link for a boring rant about it all.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Bank of England 2 likes this.
  18. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

I blame the loan, talk of takeover, a lot of players performances seemed to have dipped.

19. Bank of England 2

Why do you think the two are connected mate?

20. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Too many cup games in a row too, sometimes it's a nice diversion from the league and sometimes nobody can really be arsed. Think our players have definitely been in the latter camp.

Running out on Saturday to 30,000 fans for a league game will be different.

MackemX likes this.