1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Ashes 2021/22

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Plum, Nov 30, 2021.

1. x

x Well-Known Member

i doubt root was bothered. a nice big not out is good for the average and the loss of time to rain ups the urgency. the partnership was 111 off 87. bairstow scored 71 off 44 and root scored 30 off 40.

2. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

They were talking about Crawley and whether he should keep his place, and the general feeling was that he will. But, under this new coach and captaincy, it was suggested Jos Buttler should come in, maybe not immediately, as he can't do worse than Crawley at present, and is in fine form.

3. boltontiger

boltontiger Well-Known Member

If Foakes not fit for Friday, the decision will probably come down to Billings or Buttler to keep wicket and they will leave Crawley as opener. Other choice is which fast bowler drops out so Anderson comes back in. Would be a shame if Potts gets left out.

4. Wessie Exile

Wessie Exile Well-Known Member

If Buttler is taking over the white ball captaincy if (when) Morgan retires this week, I'd rather he focused on that tbh

5. boltontiger

boltontiger Well-Known Member

Yes I agree. He's had enough chances with the test team but has never really been convincing or consistent at that level.

6. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Potts has impressed me, he has a nice action. Though Overton was very useful with the bat, so maybe Potts will be the one to drop out. He has time on his hands, and Jimmy isn't going on forever, so maybe they will ask him to be patient.

boltontiger likes this.
  7. Wessie Exile

I think Potts has been our best bowler over the NZ series and I'd keep him going while he's on a roll. Looks fit as well. Between Broad and Overton to make way for Anderson I reckon. Probably Overton despite his heroics with the bat, unless they want to rest Broad.

boltontiger likes this.
  8. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

I agree about Potts. In the 3 tests he took 14 wickets at 23 runs each, bowled 125 overs at 2.6, I think that merits another go.

Wessie Exile and boltontiger like this.
  9. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

Can’t leave Potts out. It leaves our tail very weak, but it has to be Overton. I thought his bowling was poor, he could very easily become a one test wonder, averaging 97.

10. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

Root himself could have accelerated (even more)at any point towards the end.He was happy to run quick singles for JB and to give him the strike.JB would have slowed down if Root was bothered, Root was just desperate to see it through and be there at the end. With JB seeing it like a football and hitting it so well, he was happy to just leaving him to it.
    Proper team man. After having captaincy taken off him and Stokes having an immediate positive impact, it would be easy for him to have mixed feelings, but he seems quite happy to be part of it.
    Bairstow is in phenomenal form. Everything was off the middle of the bat (even his defence). Second fastest 50 and this wasn’t slogging, mainly low risk shots. He actually made Root look fairly ordinary.

11. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

English women giving SAF a right tonking, 125 ahead with 4 wkts left. They might get a result out of that.

12. x

x Well-Known Member

"Bloody brilliant" is how it feels to score a century on your Test debut, in case you were wondering. Just ask Alice Davidson-Richards.

One of four players in the England XI making her Test debut, Davidson-Richards, a 28-year-old allrounder, scored 107 and shared a 207-run stand for the sixth wicket with Nat Sciver, which was poignant for many reasons.

Sciver, nearly two years her senior, captained Davidson-Richards in their school cricket team at Epsom College, where they also played hockey and netball together before they joined the England set-up and shared car journeys to training.

"It means quite a lot having Nat there," Davidson-Richards said as the pair faced the media after rescuing their side from 121 for 5 and securing a 44-run lead on the second day of the Test with South Africa in Taunton, Sciver still unbeaten on 119 at the close.

"When we started driving up to Loughborough together however many years ago, to being out there playing a Test match together is really, really special."

But then their international careers diverged. Davidson-Richards played one ODI and five T20Is, all in 2018, and that was that until her recall for this match. Sciver, meanwhile, is playing her eighth Test and has 180 white-ball internationals to her name, including a pivotal role in England's World Cup campaign earlier this year when they finished runners-up.

Asked whether she thought her international career had been over, Davidson-Richards said: "I don't think completely."

"I've always had like a deep-rooted faith in how good I could be and it was just knowing how to get there," she added. "And everything that's happened before has allowed me to get to here so I'm absolutely fine with everything that's happened before, to be the player that I am now and the person I am now.

"It stopped being at the forefront of my mind and ended up being, if I can be the best player I can be for the South East Stars and doing it that way, then everything else on top of that is a plus."

Davidson-Richards has also stuck around long enough to be part of England's newly professionalised domestic structure. She is one of South East Stars' six contracted players and plays for Northern Superchargers in the Hundred.

She has also made a mental shift that has proven invaluable.

"I'm a lot nicer to myself to be honest," said Davidson-Richards, who took also took a wicket in South Africa's innings. "I put a lot less on myself doing well all the time.

"It's a more well-rounded approach: 'How can I help the team?' Rather than, 'have I done well, or not done well?' And I think that's something that really brings out the best in me and that enjoyment side as well is a big factor for me."

"Some of it's just getting old, not that 28 is old, but I've been told that I'm old a few times," she laughed as Sciver rolled her eyes in jest. "So I think it's a little bit of that. I've definitely talked to some of the coaches back at home and not necessarily a sports psych but I just talk to friends, people, who have helped me on through."

Davidson-Richards saw Sciver to her fifty while facing 45 balls for her first nine runs. But she ended up unleashing 17 fours on the way to her 107 which ended on what turned out to be the last ball of the day when she sent a Tumi Sekhukhune delivery to Lizelle Lee at backward point.

Sciver, meanwhile, rated her maiden Test century as "definitely up there" with her five ODI hundreds, including two unbeaten centuries against Australia at the World Cup in April, one of those in the final as England finished runners-up.

"For it to be in a Test match is really very special - a format we don't get to play much of but one that I love so I'm really happy," Sciver said.

It also sweetened her involvement in Heather Knight's run out for just 8 on the first ball after lunch. Knight's dive was in vain after Sciver worked Nadine de Klerk towards square leg and called for a single but then the slightest of hesitations mid-run from both of them found Knight short of her ground as Sekhukhune fired the ball to wicketkeeper Sinalo Jafta.

"I was feeling very guilty," Sciver said. "It was a bit of hesitation from everyone. I did say, 'yes'. But she has forgiven me, apparently," she added with a smile. "If I didn't get to a hundred, maybe she wouldn't have forgiven me."

Plum likes this.
  13. x

x Well-Known Member

sussex adopted the new england method in their latest county championship game against derbyshire.

derbyshire started with 551/8 dec, with scored of 176 from wayne madsen, 146no from anuj dal and 55no from number 10 mark watt. sussex replied with 337, with mohammned rizwan top scorer with 130. that left sussex 214 behind and derbyshire decided not to enforce the follow-on, but to bat again and leave a tough target. it didn't go entirely to plan and they were 5 down within 13 overs for 54 runs. they managed another 73 for 2 wickets during another 28 overs, batting again on the last morning, before leaving sussex to score 342 in 76 overs. 21 year old sussex opener ali orr accepted the challenge and made his second first class century, running up 141 and taking his fledgling (13 game) average above 40. he was third out at 274 with 68 needed from 13 overs.two more wickets fell before sussex reached their target, helped by 76 no off 82 from mohammned rizwan.

derbyshire will wonder how on earth they lost this one.

it was sussex's first win in the country championship since august 2020 and their first at home since august 2019.

Wessie Exile likes this.
  14. Wessie Exile

15. x

x Well-Known Member

16. Wessie Exile

I'm sure he'll take the opportunity to defend himself if he's that squeaky clean... oh wait he's refusing the chance to do so.

17. Asterix

Asterix Well-Known Member

Another thread on here asks how do lower league footballers fare after they pack it in. I am sure the same applies to cricketers. In the article you have posted, Andrew Gale said "not intend to spend my limited savings in paying my legal team to represent me at the ECB hearing". Accusations of racism are tried by social media anyway, aren't they?

TwoWrights, x and highpeak tiger like this.
  18. x

x Well-Known Member

is it worth bankrupting himself? he's said he didn't do it and he's said he doesn't believe he'd get a fair hearing, so he feels like it'd be like pouring money down the drain. you could always offer to fund his defence.

19. Wessie Exile

Not sure how these things work but would he not be entitled to compensation if he were to win? Its horrendous for all involved and I hope they all eventually get some closure, but it seems Gale is trying to run away from the problem, but that won't mean that he escapes scot free should he be found guilty

20. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

If he leaves cricket, the ECB have no ability to punish him.