1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Assessment of Monk

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by ValleyGraduate12, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

So now we have 13pts from 11, or out another way, 4pts from the last 5 games.

The next 2 games are now "huge" - on paper, both highly winnable......

2. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

...which extrapolates to 45pts <ghost>

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  3. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

I don't think there isn't one of us who doesn't want him to succeed, I just fear that it just maybe a little bit to much for him.

4. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

100% correct! <cheers>

5. PGFWhite

I think he's going through a bad patch. To me there are classic signs of a split in the camp and it's up to Monk to sort it out. If he can't he'll be gone in the next few weeks because the Board don't want to jeopardise the big payout of next season.

Personally I hope he gets us out of this hole and gets us back to playing reasonable winning football.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  6. trundles left foot

I would love him to go on and keep succeeding and become our most successful manager ever. He is one of our own and loves the Swans. I hate having a go at him. But ultimately the buck stops with him and if it continues to go the way it is he has to go for the benefit of our club.

7. bigkidderz

bigkidderz Well-Known Member

It's the consistent choosing of the same team that gets me - hoping that the following week they'll play better.

Everyone has a threshold - when will Monk learn his threshold for dropping players/changing systems? Or does he get on too well with the players and finds it difficult to drop them unless they are universally-agreed to be "over the hill" (i.e. Rangel, Routledge and Britton)? All the first-team players must almost feel like they're guaranteed a spot in the starting line-up.

In many ways, we have ended up with a squad of under-achieving first-teamers because they know they won't be dropped, and a squad of under-achieving second-teamers because they don't feel like they'll ever get a proper go in the first team. As a manager, it's Monk's job to manage squad morale, and I can't help but feel that we're close to rock bottom in this regard - and it's clearly showing in our performances.

Monk needs to find a way to balance the squad better - because right now we're just sinking. Thank goodness there are teams out there worse than us. However, if we come away pointless against Norwich and Bournemouth, we'll be the team that many will start backing to slip down with Villa and Sunderland. Will Monk paper over some more cracks in these next two games?

daimungeezer likes this.
  8. trundles left foot

Totally agree with what you say, however he will juggle the likes of Ki, Shelvey, Cork, Siggy. Why the will he not give Eder an opportunity to show what he has. Is it as you say he finds it to difficult to admit defeat with the donkey Gomis or is there something in his contract. I would love t know his thinking on him.

9. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

He can only do as good as the caliber of players he has to work with and having said that he is doing as expected. We are on a level with all the bottom half clubs and that is not bad for a club our size, There are 19 clubs out of 20 who are bigger than us and its remarkable how well we have coped with that. Far far bigger clubs are doing worst than us and as a realist like i said not long ago our aim is survival and nothing else, Maybe try for a cup but to finish 4th or above is our priority and we are doing just that with the caliber players we have.....We are minnows in a big pond and have done exceptionally well punching above our weight for a very long time and long may it continue as it gets harder and harder for a small team like us.....Sure we can beat a big team now and then but the reality is we are not of the caliber of any of the big teams. we don't have the resources or the quality they have and never will.

10. PGFWhite

The real issue is that he doesn't appear to be getting the best out of those players.

11. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

You mean his choice of players?The ones he has to work with?

12. swanseaandproud

I disagree, he is getting the best they have got that's why in odd games they play a blinder but they cant keep the same standard going. We are at the stage now that we cant work on the cheap and we need to spend some money...unfortunately the club is not big enough to be able to do that so we will continue spending not that much money and getting no better than what we have in my view......

13. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Getting the best they have got! Oh fuk.

Mam!!!!! Get my boots out a the attic I'm playing for Monk on Saturday.
    Arthritis?What arthritis?

daimungeezer and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  14. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Disagree here Dai. We have made millions from being in the PL and all the benefits that come with that, not to mention £25 million for Bony, £15 million for Joe, £6 million for Sinclair?, up to £7 million for BR. We haven't reinvested half of that over the past 4 years.
    Spending just 8-10 million is a joke in this league when others around us are spending millions. We need to spend a good 30 million on 3-4 players. We have the squad, but it is apparent that we are lacking quality, i.e. the likes of Bony p front.

15. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

It would appear that your acceptable standards are at odds with the majority . With a weaker squad we've played far better than se do now , the value of the squad is now 4 times more than when we 1st reached the PL , I'd say we're regressing at a rate of knots .

16. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Can I play in defence? When we have a corner to defend I'll let the ball go over my head and lunge at Gomis instead :)

17. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Look.........if you can drive a top of the range car..........YOUR IN!

18. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Sir,
    Take off your rose coloured glasses,wake up and smell the coffee.This club we love has problems,big problems in the most lucrative season ever.Please see it.

19. swanseaandproud

Exactly the caliber that he is allowed to buy for restricted financial restraint....Something has got to give now, We have reached our limit and fair play we are keeping ourselves above water and that is the problem monk and the club has but we wont stay above water for much longer if we dont spend money and we are not a bigger enough club to do that.....Sunderland and the toon are by far bigger clubs than us and they are struggling because of finances and unable to buy better players so what do us fans expect. Ill tell you what to expect and that is don't expect too much and appreciate just how good the club is doing in the premiership and how hard everyone is working to keep us from relegation......They are doing a fantastic job and will always do the best they can for the club....but it's getting much harder the longer we are here......

20. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Cheerful or optimistic, especially to an excessive degree: took a rose-colored view of the situation. Idiom: through rose-colored glasses. With an unduly cheerful, optimistic, or favorable view of things: see the world through rose-colored glasses.