1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Assessment of Monk

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by ValleyGraduate12, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

So who's for spending £30m (ish) on buying and extending the stadium or investing half of that in strengthening the squad to ensure ongoing survival.........

2. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Well if we were to get relegated we certainly won't need the extra seats .Whether we have the money is another story .

3. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Be honest, you looked that up in the dictionary!! :)

4. Taffvalerowdy

Given that the value of the club would plummet if we were relegated, I'm sure that will concentrate the minds of the (share owning) directors on the Board to find sufficient funds to strengthen the playing squad....<cheers>

5. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Hopefully Taff. This penny pinching policy in the transfer market has to stop.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  6. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

I do not want the thrifty spending to stop, but you do have to push the boat out on the striker front, as we did with Bony.............<ok>

daimungeezer and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  7. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Totally happy with Monk except for transfers he's made and not using the squad more.

8. bigkidderz

bigkidderz Well-Known Member

Not about money for me at all. It's about squad morale and togetherness. Look at Leicester - a very poor side for 28 games last year, when they finally started playing as a team they have looked like Top 8 material ever since. They haven't exactly broke the bank doing it either.

My issue is that we're relying on low-on-confidence players, out-of-form players, and some bang-average players to form the starting eleven - and not giving anyone else a chance. There's limited togetherness and spirit in the squad and it doesn't feel like Monk knows how to turn this around. It's surprising, because directly after him taking over we were as tight as I can remember - we'd become loose under Laudrup and Monk's appointment did fix that, but now we're becoming loose under Monk for some reason too.

We have Iceland's stand-out player, Wales' captain fantastic, South Korea's golden boy, Ecuador's magician, Ghana's footballing god...are we becoming a team of egos? Is the sense of "Little ol' Swansea against the world" fading? I think it was the underdog tag that binded our squad together so well. We need to find a new way to get the camaraderie back even with some superstars in our squad.

9. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

No I didn't. Aswan used it in post 1040. I'll be buggered if I know what it means but it sounded important.

10. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

For me, the stadium shouldn't be extended, so I'll go for the investment in the team.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.

11. Taffvalerowdy

Good post BK - my point is that if the Board is restricting money for the playing budget in favour of a potential "white elephant" then I know what I would choose.... I'd invest in a striker and right winger.<cheers>

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  12. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Hay I want me season ticket, so get lost, no wasting money on the squad (except Striker), lets get these extra 10,000 seats ASAP...............<cheers>

13. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Monk has dug a bit of a hole for himself,our next two games are critical to his survival.
    Norwich and Bournemouth have lost a combined 7 games straight.
    Points from these two games are a must ,6 points preferably ,4 points might due.
    The next 4 games after that are all against top teams with a combined total of 1 loss in there last 16 games.
    Without 4 or 6 points from our next 2 games , we will be getting a new manager for Christmas imo

14. Taffvalerowdy

There's only 5,900

DragonPhilljack likes this.