1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

atmosphere

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by canary on the weald, Feb 9, 2015.

1. canary on the weald

canary on the weald Active Member

i have been watching city on and off since the mid seventies and had a season ticket for several seasons including our time spent in L1. i honestly think our support is supurb home and away,the numbers keep up come what may(unlike our suffolk fair weather friends) and having been to a couple of away games this season,i think our away support is as good as ever. however am i the only one that thinks the atmosphere at carrow road is a little flat this season(with a few exeptions) compared with recent times? i appreciate we have the hangoner of relegation this time,but we have had that before and i have not noticed this much difference. just wonderd what others thought?

2. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I agree with you cotw and even for the Huddersfield and Millwall game, it wasn't brilliant. I know you were at the match on Saturday and for me that was CR almost back to its best with the fans singing loud and proud until the final whistle. Long may it continue!!!!

3. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

There were times on Saturday when it was very quiet, which made the loud critical barking by Perkins and then O Hara at their team mates all the more amusing.

Picked up nicely in the second half though and we even managed a half-assed verse of "We're the Jarrold over here" lol !

4. Hucks for Manager!

Hucks for Manager! Well-Known Member

I've been to Carrow Road a few times this season and yes, the atmosphere has been generally rubbish. I wasn't there on Saturday though, and wasn't there for Blackburn when the atmosphere was reportedly amazing. Not sure what the reason for this is, an ageing crowd perhaps? I doubt it, but it's the only reason I can at all think of.

Having said that, the noise levels do seem to be creeping up every time I go to a home game and I'm genuinely looking forward to my first away game of the season (at Watford) next Saturday. Our away support is always amazing.

5. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

It's been poor since Lambert left. Partly down to poor performances/lack of excitement many weeks, and partly down to losing the buzz that formed through the roller coaster involved in getting back to the Premier League. Those three seasons were the best for atmosphere I can recall at City and was as good as, if not better than every other club I visited during that time. But as with roller coasters there's a down after an up and I don't think performances have been good enough this season, certainly at home, to see a significant upturn. There's been the odd highlight but actually, Saturday, 2nd half, felt a little more like the Lambert days. There's also, as stated above, still the lingering Premier League hangover - that league really takes its toll on fans after a while, because its just so difficult and you can never build any positive momentum.

6. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

It also doesn't help when there are no away fans to have banter with!

7. ColkOfTheBarclay

ColkOfTheBarclay Well-Known Member

Stopped my season ticket this year, for many reasons, one of which was that the atmosphere wasn't the same last year (understandably). I did go to the Blackburn game and the atmosphere was quite good but I think that was because it was such an exciting game.

Doesn't help that only 1 side of the ground ever sings consistently. Jarrold, N&P and city stand need to make more noise.

canary on the weald likes this.
  8. canary on the weald

canary on the weald Active Member

yes i agree with you. i am a season ticket holder in the n and p stand,and sometimes wish we made more noise. thats one of the reasons i like going to away games. so i can cheer without people looking at me!

Hucks for Manager! likes this.
  9. ColkOfTheBarclay

ColkOfTheBarclay Well-Known Member

Exactly! My season ticket was in the Barclay (obviously) so every time I've sat anywhere else it was bloody hard! I'm always trying to sing and cheer and you just get looked at strangely, though I was in the jarrold near the away fans so it might not be regulars.

10. Gambia Canary

Gambia Canary Active Member

I don't get to many games alas, but think the atmosphere is down to the premier league fans who have followed City in recent years. They are new to the club and expect instant success from manager and players. I doubt many of the fans were at Watford when we first went up to Division 1 or at the three Wembley finals. It's great that we have brought in so many new fans to support the club but I just feel most are not hard core long time supporters.

11. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Snap - it's sometimes quieter than a grave!!!

12. THURNBY YELLOW

THURNBY YELLOW Well-Known Member

When I watched moe games back in the 70's and 80's the away support was generally terrible both in terms of numbers and volume of noise. I am amazed at how good the away support particularly has been in recent seasons and also that all home games are pretty much sold out. I guess the newer Canary fans have a different benchmark to those earlier times and the club is the better for it of course.