1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

AUTUMN NEWS 2018

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Umm I understood it was the corner of the Lyndhurst and the Barn Park (away) end. That's where the standing is taking place now, to the rear of that section. It's nothing to do with restricted views (unless you are sitting behind someone who wants to stand), it's about machismo.

Possibly I've got the term "Zoo Corner" wrong but it must be a long time since there was any terracing in the corner of the Grandstand side and the Barn Park End.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That makes sense.

3. notDistantGreen

I think I am wrong. In the context of the Safe Standing debate, this lot have been calling for the "reinstatement of Zoo Corner" as a standing area as part of the stadium redevelopment.

To me, the central parts of the Devonport End should be the standing area if there is to be one. Lots if people stand there anyway so it would be safer with the proper equipment, it's traditional to have the "kop" areas behind the goals and keeps the more volatile fans far away from each other!

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What's wrong with a standing area where it always was, under the grandstand area.

5. notDistantGreen

The sides are for gentlemen like you and me Sensible.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's only when I was made to sit down that I bought a ticket. I actually prefer to stand to watch football but only in a standing area of course. My son says I'm getting too old to stand up for a whole game. Bleddy cheek. Must admit though that you do get used to sitting after a while and probably I wouldn't go back to standing now.

7. notDistantGreen

There's a story in the Herald in which Te Loeke claims Adams over-rode medical advice and worsened his back injury. Claims he left Argyle because he didn't feel safe.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Yes...I saw that....looks like a compensation job coming up....we'll never know if Te Loeke would have been any good.....hard to know with back problems if the player was being pushed or if he didn't try to the maxim to overcome the problem.....I would think Adams would have been unimpressed with the man.

I remember Oscar Threlkeld coming back from injury and not making half-time...just sitting on the pitch....comment from Adams afterwards about "playing through the pain" didn't help the situation.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Argyle's injury list is looking rather alarming.

Ainsworth, Canavan, C Grant, Ness, Taylor, Riley, Moore and from yesterday add Wootton, Sawyer and Sarcevic.....that is a total of ten....and that is for a total of 3pts ?

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

There are too many similarities this season to last seasons start.

1..... Bottom of the league with 3pts.....last season bottom with 5pts....so 2pts worst off.

2.....1 red card.....last season we already had 4 reds, so an improvement there.

3.....4th worst ever start in our league history.....last season was our 7th worst start ever.

4.....At present we have 10 injured players.....last season not so many, I cannot find out how many ?

Will we pick up so well as last season and move up the league ?....I doubt if we could repeat last seasons improvement in form, but we need to get into mid-division safety....and hope for less injuries by then.

Adams had sorted his squad out quite early this summer, and should have had fitness levels high and a recognized first team on paper....so why hasn't that been so.

Injuries quite often are in the lap of the gods....all team get their share of injuries.....but Argyle seem to get more than their fair share....at present we have ten players injured....why is that....is it because training is too physical or just not right....some are out from training pitch injuries....is it because Adams has picked up players with a history of injuries during their careers.....so taking a chance on them because they can play a bit if injury free. Have we got experienced back room physio staff who can help keep players fit and the ability to get them fit quickly when injuries do occur.....do we have enough staff....with ten injured.... staff must be working overtime at the moment....are players having to wait for there turn for treatment too long.

Pre-season friendlies.....are our friendlies....too friendly....against local none league opposition....do our players look better than they are against less gifted teams ?....the moment we played a more competitive friendly we got blown away....and that was against Div2 Yeovil (0-5).....Ok it's good to help local teams financially with a pre-season friendlies.....but we need to test our new players in competition at a level more akin to Div 1 levels to discover who is up to the job.

Adams possibly because of the build of injuries is having to play player in positions that they are not used to at times and so don't use their full potential and look not so good.....bet no one can name his Saturday team against in form Doncaster Rovers on Saturday....probably harder to do than predict the score.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Gary Sawyer has a broken metatarsal in his foot.....his foot has been isolated in a plaster and he will be out for awhile (normally 6/8 weeks approx.).

Derek Adams is concerned about the recurrence of Ryan Taylor's ankle problem....they are still waiting for confirmation of the situation.

Full list.

1.....Lionel Ainsworth.....Hamstring.
    2.....Niall Canavan.....Groin.
    3.....Conor Grant.....Calf.
    4.....Jamie Ness.....Groin.
    5.....Ryan Taylor.....Ankle.
    6.....Joe Riley.....Knee.
    7.....Scott Wootton.....Thigh Muscle.
    8.....Gary Sawyer.....Broken metatarsal.
    9.....Antoni Sarcevic.....Stomach injury.
    10.....Tafari Moore.....Stomach strain.

Harry Burgoyne also mentioned...but surely not seeing him coming back.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Derek Adams will be looking at possible changes to the way Argyle prepare for away games in an attempt to reduce the risk of muscular injuries for his players.

He has suggested that long periods on coaches....up to seven plus hours sitting down can have a detrimental effect on muscles etc.....when the coach stops for breaks the players need to walk around more and also when they arrive at their hotel...go for a walk to get the blood flowing.

Adams doesn't think hard training can be a problem....they have double sessions on Monday and Tuesday when there is no mid-week match involvement.

Didn't notice that Sturrock's Div1 and 2 winners having long journeys was a problem to their success.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We're going to have a glut of goalkeepers come December....Harry Burgoyne will be back.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

PAFC showing a profit for the year ending December 2017 of £28,000.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The FA have been discussing the proposed sale of Wembley Stadium for £600 million.

Wembley Stadium was built 11 years ago for a cost of £757 million.....stupid idea selling it for minus £157 million ....<confused>.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Who gets the money now and who paid for the stadium in the first place? Was it the FA or us the tax payer.

17. notDistantGreen

Sunk money Plym, sunk money. A thing is only worth what it earns today and tomorrow, what you paid for it is irrelevant. This shows the FA paid too much in the first place, not necessarily that they aren't doing the best deal available now.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A national stadium.....it shouldn't be owned by any individual.....the FA might at present have agreements to still use it....but what about the future.....could you visualize it's future owner moving Fulham there to play their league games there ?

19. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Does not seem a lot? but its a profit and going the right way off the pitch at least...

20. notDistantGreen

As I'm sure you know Joe, profit is fantasy but cash flow is reality. Unfortunately being a private company, we don't get to see a cash flow statement!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.