1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Autumn News

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Sep 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Paragraph one............I see you got your keyboard back then.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sad to hear of the death of Roger Hunt at 82.

This only leaves from the 1966 team who won the World Cup....

1.....Bobby Charlton 83.....suffering from dementia
    2.....Geoff Hurst 79....only player to score a hat-trick in the final.
    3.....George Cohen 81.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Going to be changes for the Lincoln game....two more on the injury list.....James Wilson...concussion..Saturday will be too early for him.....and Conor Grant...hamstring.

This means possibly that Brendan Galloway will play again...Lowe had tried to rest him last Tuesday but he came on at half-time in place of concussed Wison....will he stay fit ?

Would like to see Kieran Agard get more than just a minute or two on Saturday.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Jesus change the bleddy record. "We need another striker" "We need another striker". Ok we signed another striker, maybe not up to speed but we signed one nevertheless. "We need more striking power". "We need more striking power". Out of the top 10 teams only 3 have scored more than us and 2 of them are above us. Not too shabby eh!

They monitor the players and do come down time and energy levels along with diet and training. They monitor every aspect of the athlete there is to monitor. Do you serious think that Lowe would be allowed to run players into the ground? They have some injured but also have some about to come back. Instead of whinging all the time try being a bit supportive. It's ok to be a glass half empty sometimes but some of the Supporters take it to the highest level they can. We have only lost one game so far this season.

7. notDistantGreen

Agreed Sensible. And if you watch the various interviews, all the players say the same thing. When asked if all the games are too much, they all say "well, yes it's hard but all you want to do is play isn't it?" Nobody's volunteering to sit on the bench.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Honestly Notdistant it drives me crackers. I swear that some people can't get through a day without finding something to drip on about. The time to moan is when we are 20th and still going backwards but that time is definitely not now.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just a few facts to send you crackers.

A list of teams....players...goals scored....minutes played to compare......only players who have scored two or more are included.

Argyle
    Hardie.....9.....1026
    Jephcott.....5.....1020

Sunderland
    Stewart.....7.....826
    O'Brien.....4.....400
    Winchester.....3.....885
    Embleton.....2.....674
    McGeady.....2.....750
    O.Nien.....2.....900

Wigan
    Keane.....4.....844
    Wyke.....4.....800
    Lang.....3.....795

MK Dons
    Twine.....4.....984
    Parrott.....3.....774
    Eisa.....3.....495
    O'Riley.....2.....990
    Boateng.....2.....244

Wycombe W
    McCleary.....4.....576
    Vokes.....2.....736
    Pendlebury.....2.....376

Bolton
    Afolayan.....5.....970
    Sheehan.....3.....777
    Doyle.....3.....927
    Lee.....2.....406
    Sarcevic.....2.....986

Oxford
    Henry.....4.....764
    Holland.....3.....219
    Taylor.....3.....774
    Sykes.....2.....868

Morecambe
    Stockton.....11.....1078
    Phillips.....4.....548
    Gnahoua.....2.....902

AFC Wimbledon
    Rudoni.....3.....600
    Nightingale.....3.....990
    Hartigan.....2.....964
    Mebude.....2.....576
    Assal.....2.....846

Ipswich
    Bonne.....7.....637
    Evans.....3.....711
    Pigot.....2.....346

Fleetwood
    Garner.....4.....708
    Camps.....2.....676
    Andrew.....2.....900
    Morton.....2.....538

This list shows you that only one of these goal scorers has played more minutes than Hardie and Jephcott....and that is top scorer Stockton of Morecambe with 1078 minutes.

It also shows us Argyle are the only team who have only two players scoring at least two goals.

We know that Hardie and Jephcott are probably playing so many minutes because of Ennis being injured.

This chart of course doesn't take into account that some players on the list might have low minutes because of injury.

What it does say is that Argyle cannot continue playing their two strikers at this level of minutes per game for much longer.

The chart also doesn't show how may of the players are penalty scorers.....we do know that Jephcott's includes one penalty.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Also comparing last season start to this season.

Last season.....P10...W5...D3...L2....17GF...13GA...18pts

This season.....P10...W5...D4...L1....15GF...8GA...19pts

I didn't realize that they were that similar.....hopefully our stronger defence will stop the near disaster of the end of season slide.

We had more goals for...but significantly more against last season.

11. notDistantGreen

The goal scorers aren't the issue Plym, or at least not Jephcott & Hardie.

The CB's are fairly static: they stay at the back. The DM is fairly static: he stays in front of the CB's. The forwards are fairly static: they stay at the front.

The ones you have to worry about are the AM's and the WB's. They have to be at the back when we're defending and at the front when we're attacking. That's where the legs take the battering and injuries are a bigger worry.

It is a bit concerning is that Jephcott & Hardie account for 14 of our 17 goals. The other three are Edwards, Grant and Scarr I think. Of course since they are both scoring well, they are likely to play a lot of minutes: it's when strikers aren't delivering they tend to get hauled off.

Camara, although a real dynamo, couldn't finish a Mars bar and Broom is still looking for his first. Broom got 10 in 73 games for Cheltenham although I don't know what position he was playing then. He owes us a couple on that basis. Scarr should be another source: he's had several decent chances from dead ball situations but has scored just one, ironically with a side-foot rather than his head.

If we're short of goals, you have remember we've got George Cooper to come back. His free kicks and crosses from the left should create good chances. Then there's Mayor, who, whether you believe it or not, terrorises defences and makes gaps for others to take advantage of. Ennis is handful too.

It's been a good start, although it's early days. We have good attacking players to come back in. I'll settle for that right now.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Where do those figures say we CANNOT continue to play the current two strikers? It's you that says we can't not the figures. What exactly is playing too much? Some players can run all day and then do a days work. Others can't get out of bed without a carrot and fade after an hour. It's when the goals stop coming you have to worry not who is scoring them. What are you trying to suggest with the this season last season figures? We are going to crash like we did last time probably. Well there is no evidence of that yet so why think it unless you want to be negative. Our defence is a completely different animal this season so far. The goals against tell you that. If you just want to pour cold water on everything then that's your choice but don't expect everyone else to be as miserable as you are.

13. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

hell Plym what you bored writing all that .. i would not know where to start. Interesting stuff .... owe i just woke up..

keep the stats coming please i like the debates even tho i have no time to take part but enjoy reading what you all write.. well done..

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Geddon Joe you used to like a good rant in the old days.............

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Commonsense tells you that Hardie and Jephcott cannot continue at such a level for 46 games.

Only one player (Stockton) has played more minutes than these two.....are you saying 22 other managers are taking the wrong approach by looking after their strikers....so that they last the whole season.

Jephcott lasted for over half a season last year....and had nothing left for the last three months.....he couldn't buy a goal.

It's just another point of view....but discussion isn't your strong point sensible....any other view but yours just has to be trashed and seen as being negative....so pointless to expect you to understand any other view but your green tinted extremism.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

What a bleddy flake you are. Every time there is a discussion you come the old "You're picking on me" crap. Grow a feckin pair for christ sake. (waits for door to slam as flounce takes place yet again).

I don't understand your continued negativity is the point. All you do is pour cold water on just about everything and expect the worst. You have no idea if other managers are protecting strikers or not or if there is fitness issues. Jephcott may not have been "dead on his feet" as you describe and could just as easily have been out of form. It happens you know just ask Sterling for England. If and when they stop scoring is the time to look at a change and a rest not during a purple patch run. It is almost inevitable that one or both will have fitness issues at some point in the season so they will get a rest anyway. Of course I'm a bit green tinted I support the Greens it's what supporters do.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just another point of view sensible.....can you not cope with another viewpoint.

You really need to read what you type at times......calling me a "bleddy flake"....and commenting that "you're picking on me"....and stupid comments like "grow a feckin pair" and then the old "flouncing" comment just shows you cannot discuss any other viewpoint but what you have set in stone for the rest of time.

Your just hitting out in the usual way when another thought is put before you that isn't totally green tinted and you see it as an anti-Argyle thought.

There is nothing in my comments that justify your insulting approach to my comments above....it is just your defensive mechanism going into automatic trash mode.....you come over as quite offensive and ignorant of another viewpoint other than your own.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Read your last paragraph and tell me again about hitting out????? You tell me I can't discuss anything when that's what I'm actually doing with the "discussion isn't one of your strong points". It is not within your remit to tell me how I can disagree with your posts if that's what I do. Just because you are flaky about how something is put is not something I am going to make apologies for. The tone of your response was once again, and I repeat , once again because not for the first time, is I'm somehow picking on you. Well poor old you if you can't stand a bit of criticism. Go for it and criticise me the best you can and I can assure you I won't get all huffy. The flounce bit was you previously when you couldn't take any more like a drama queen and was going to never darken the doors of not606 again. What response somebody expects when they threaten to run off I frankly don't know.

My reply to your list of stats was not offensive in any way unless you were looking to be offended. It gave an alternative to your suggestion and pointed out a factual thing which is you are constantly negative about Argyle. The alternative view IS a discussion or at least used to be. Now it seems it's bullying unless you agree whole heartedly. I make no apology for my writing style and if it offends you well tough and put me on blank and don't read any of them. Failing that learn to fight your corner better.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Discussing can be done in a more friendly way believe it or not.....notDistant obviously doesn't always agree with my views....but he is able to put his point of view over without being so obnoxious.....why don't you give it a try....it doesn't hurt.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Why don't you try being a bit less miserable with your postings? It doesn't hurt. I repeat don't tell me how to post and if you don't like it then don't read it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.