1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Avram Grant to be Football Director??

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Word is RA is looking to bring back Avram Grant to "help" Frank and /or be kind of Director of Football, whatever that is.
    Not sure about this. If he plays the Michael Emanelo role and/or REALLY works as an aid to Frank, OK.
    But if he's going to have too big a say in who we buy and sell, or gets involved in any way running the Team, then I can't see it working..
    To be fair, he does seem to be knowledgable, he does seem to have RAs' ear, and so he could be a big help. Someone with genuine football knowledge, on Franks side, with an RA connection could smooth things for Frank until this team gets to playing better, and Grant has already suggested Frank be given time others did not get.
    If he helps rid us of some of our surplus players, he'd be a bonus.
    Thoughts??

2. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

Not reading too much into this, but has Frank asked for this or is it being thrust upon him, only him and Roman will know for sure. Most clubs, if not all at the top level have Directors of football, so if it works and results get better (they couldn't get much worse) then fine.

3. Chelsea Pensioner

It's all looking as if this is RAs idea, but whatever, if Frank is OK with it then it can't be a bad thing. If players stay injury free , then he can concentrate on blending his best 11 and his best subs into how he wants things to work. He's been a bit stiff so far with availability of key players.

4. Bristol Blue

Bristol Blue Well-Known Member

We were very unlucky not to win the European Cup with Avram as manager. Runners up in the league and League Cup as well. Relatively speaking, Chelsea had a far stronger set of players when Avram was last in charge. I don’t think that Avram could do any better than Frank with the current set of players.

5. Chelsea Pensioner

I agree as a Manager, but apparently his position would be as an "assistant" with off the field work, player assessments, selling, scouting etc. If it works for Frank, my thoughts are it can only be good, if Frank is against it, don't do it.

6. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

Exactly CP. Frank will have sanctioned this move and to his credit, I think he has realised he needs help, experienced help, someone he knows and trusts, not the most charismatic of people and not, in some peoples eyes pleasing on the eye, but who give a s**t if it changes the present trend then fine. The game against vastly improved Fulham will be a litmus test lose that and it will be "squeaky bum time."