1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Battle of Bramall Lane

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by frankbanksneck, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Mister Slush

Mister Slush Active Member

At risk of derailing the original thread - which has been brilliant by the way, thanks for sharing those memories - those early-80s games left a big impression on those of us who witnessed them, culminating in that night at Turf Moor in '84. Ever since then, "We only hate Sheff United" has always resonated more with me than any other chant aimed at an opponent (although Wednesday fans are currently doing their best to dislodge it!). Seem to recall feeling "robbed" on so many occasions there during our regular meetings in those days but at least I was always fortunate enough to be part of a decent away following. And the home games were something else - the September 1981 game with the small wooden board as segregation in the Kempton. Only 7k there but what an atmosphere. And then October 1983 and that 4-1 in front of a much bigger crowd, with Blunts fans chucking seats out of the best stand.

But I digress...

Back to the original thread and even during those 80s encounters, people often referred back to the Battle of Bramall Lane. In fact, even now, one bloke in our village who was there mentions it every time we play them away. I seem to remember one of the Sheff U boards carried a similar thread last year and on reading it, it would appear that only one team was doing the kicking that night :emoticon-0138-think

2. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

Wont be much different tonight.

3. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

That's pretty accurate Slush. This match came far to soon after the Stoke cup game and I don't recall any organised travel en-masse of City fans, (the type that would kick back) and we had a few in 70/71.
    It was a free for all to get there and get there when you can, stand where you could and so on. Sheff Utd away was a formidable game for City fans in the early 70's and I think there are plenty on here who were given the run around there and at home for that matter. They travelled to Hull in there thousands, the Battle of Bramall Lane apart, we were lucky to take a full bus.
    I was at there place in the early 80's when the tide ebbed in our favour for a change but to be honest when hooliganism what at it's height we didn't fare very well at either of the Sheffield grounds.

Mister Slush likes this.
  4. Chillo

Chillo Well-Known Member

Anyone who lived through the 70's and 80's would have enjoyed that Wembley thrashing of the blades just that little bit more.
    Only thing that devalued it was that we were supposed to win being a much better side.
    Heard tales of city fans around 1980 being in the "away end" at bramall lane in a small kop and slowly everyone disappeared as the sheff u fans infiltrated and scared "us" off walking about with their brollies with sharpened metal points.

5. Tigger

Tigger Well-Known Member

Weren't the Blades the ones who got the Hour of Hell on North Road headline in the HDM?

6. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Yes. Although it was Boothferry Road not North Road. Rainy Friday night in September and a long walk back to the coaches parked past Fiveways down Picky Rd south.

What better way to relieve the tedium than put in a few house windows on the way?

7. Citygirl

Citygirl Well-Known Member

That Sunday at Wembley was one of the best days of my life . Yes City got to the FA cup final but we beat Sheffield Utd . It was sweet revenge for the crap we took from them going back to the mid 70 's .

Tickton Tiger. likes this.
  8. armchairfan

armchairfan Well-Known Member

The film that broke box office records in Sheffield

please log in to view this image

9. Mark de Klein

Mark de Klein Well-Known Member

Stoke’s winner came from a throw they took that should have been ours.

10. Tentotwo

Tentotwo Well-Known Member

John Richie by any chance?

11. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

And it was offside.

12. Tigger

Tigger Well-Known Member

And Ritchie fouled Terry Neill.

Are we still bitter after all these years?

13. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Still bitter. No. Though Banks pulled the ball from behind the line as well. We wuz robbed by the Stoke bastards.

14. City Man

Still not got over the 1930 cheating by Arsenal in the FACSF tbh.

15. Tigger

Tigger Well-Known Member

You must still be livid about the cup final defeat by them then.

16. City Man

We did great against them- no complaints.

The media bias however was something I didn't think could exist in this country for a Cup Final.

Plucky underdog deservedly gets their day in the sun after 110 years?

Not a bit of it. Arsenal's nightmare 9 year long trophy drought is finally over, masterminded by 'Arsene'. How their passionate loyal fans have suffered but stood by them.

Get ****ed you ****ed-up media ****s.

17. Tigger

Tigger Well-Known Member

I came out with a huge smile on my face. We could have won but in the end the players they could bring on to change the game were the difference.

18. City Man

Yes once Alex Bruce went off and McShane galloped on there was only going to be one winner.

BlackAndAmberGambler likes this.
  19. Mark de Klein

Mark de Klein Well-Known Member

Yes